First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
As the name shows.

I did a baseline before installing the PRL HVI intake and then a couple of pulls after the install. We allowed the engine to cool off before each pull to get as close as solid results as possible. We also did hot runs which aren't shown here. The power stayed consistent throughout each pull.

It made about 9whp with the PRL HVI Intake.

The new open grill makes a HUGE difference in IAT temps. Heatsoak is still a problem but not near as bad as the 2017 I had.

The seats are bigger, the shifting is better and the braking is better. Suspension is a tad better but not a huge difference. However I can definitely notice a difference on corners.

Overall I'm happy with the 2020. I paid $700 under msrp. I got free black wheel locks and lugs, I got free ELO GPS Tracker, free ceramic coat twice on the car and once on the wheels.

If you have any questions or comments let me know.

I am thinking about getting an aftermarket intercooler but I have read so many mixed reviews about the different ones offered I could really use some solid recommendations.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2020 Type R with PRL HVI Installed With Dyno Results 20200509_182743

Honda Civic 10th gen 2020 Type R with PRL HVI Installed With Dyno Results 20200509_182801

Coqui

First Name
Ramon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Boost Blue
Country flag
Nice man. I been eyeing to do HKS legamax and intercooler on my 2020 as soon as it arrives .

Salty Cuban

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 RR CTR
Country flag
Overall I'm happy with the 2020. I paid $700 under msrp. I got free black wheel locks and lugs, I got free ELO GPS Tracker, free ceramic coat twice on the car and once on the wheels.
you work at the dealer or they really like you or very lucky?
i thought i was lucky getting msrp for mine. you got it under and with goodies. Good stuff!

i was looking at this intake or their stage 1 drop in.

OP
OP

BlackCTR

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
you work at the dealer or they really like you or very lucky?
i thought i was lucky getting msrp for mine. you got it under and with goodies. Good stuff!

i was looking at this intake or their stage 1 drop in.

Not lucky. I am just very good at negotiating. Not bragging but it's a skill that comes naturally to me. It's like second nature. I paid under msrp for the 2017 I had too lol.

I also hold dealerships or any else that makes deals with to the fire. I get things in writing. I negotiated my whole deal in Jacksonville over the phone and then drove 5hours to pick it up. But thank you. And to answer your question no I don't work at a dealership.

I am a manager for a Tractor Repair Shop. I'm very fortunate to have the career I have.

But anyway really need some recommendations on intercoolers. The stock intercooler heatsoaks way too fast.

Also does anyone know if Hondata has added an option where we can install a BOV yet? Or is this still not an option because of the MAF Sensor?

CanadianFK8

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Country flag
Also does anyone know if Hondata has added an option where we can install a BOV yet? Or is this still not an option because of the MAF Sensor?
BOV never a good idea with MAF.

Why would you want one anyways?!? The PRL HVI sounds amazing with the stock BPV. I love mine!

OP
OP

BlackCTR

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
BOV never a good idea with MAF.

Yes I know.

Why would you want one anyways?!? The PRL HVI sounds amazing with the stock BPV. I love mine!
I must have a dud because it's barely noticeable sound wise.

I can barely hear it. It is WAY quieter than the injen intake but the injen intake damn near caught on fire with how much it heatsoaked. Can't deny it. Intake temps were so hot it would cut boost to 13lbs-15lbs depending on how hot it was and would throw rev match and emissions codes. But I loved the sound it gave.

PRL actually made power which I'm ver happy about but it's barely noticeable sound wise.

I love boost. I have a 2000 Honda EK that's making over 800whp. It's map tuned. I just wish there was a way to make the PRL intake sound louder. I love the noise. Call me a ricer if you want but I love the boost and I love the sound I've been addicted to it for years.

Anybody have any feedback on the boomba recirculating valves??

CanadianFK8

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Country flag
I must have a dud because it's barely noticeable sound wise.

I can barely hear it. It is WAY quieter than the injen intake but the injen intake damn near caught on fire with how much it heatsoaked. Can't deny it. Intake temps were so hot it would cut boost to 13lbs-15lbs depending on how hot it was and would throw rev match and emissions codes. But I loved the sound it gave.

PRL actually made power which I'm ver happy about but it's barely noticeable sound wise.

I love boost. I have a 2000 Honda EK that's making over 800whp. It's map tuned. I just wish there was a way to make the PRL intake sound louder. I love the noise. Call me a ricer if you want but I love the boost and I love the sound I've been addicted to it for years.

Anybody have any feedback on the boomba recirculating valves??
Haha... "Damn near caught fire"

I'm the same boost addict. Had a 97 EK hatch back in the day. Goal was 400, had all the parts. Life happened and never came to fruition.

That's strange that you say the HVI is quiet.. when I'm on the throttle mine is wicked loud spool and blow off I was actually surprised how loud when I first got it. I don't mean to be a dickweed or question your intelligence but you didn't perhaps get the PRL stage 1 kit with just tube and filter? That wouldn't be nearly as loud....

As to the dyno numbers I always found this PFI speed video of Dyno intake testing on the Type R to be a good example of our stock ECU. (Brent and PFI speed are wicked... if I could get my car there to tune I would for sure.) The part specifically about our torque management, and that the intake would pick up noticable power on the first pull only, and then drop significantly back towards stock levels or a little higher on 2nd and 3rd pulls once the ECU realized "hey there buddy, we just made a little more sauce than we expected.... Let's roll that back a bit here" then by cycling the car off and back on it would reset and make larger power on the first pull. Interesting stuff. (Heat soak issues aside)

CanadianFK8

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Country flag
I was just looking again at your Dyno graphs and even though it only peaked at 9hp above stock, the low/mid looks to have stood up pretty well vs stock. I bet the mid-range gains were more significant. Do you have those numbers?

OP
OP

BlackCTR

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yes I have the HVI. I certainly paid HVI prices.

The mid range power band was 99% comparable to stock numbers. Barely any change. Low range and high range power band is where it made the power and then peaked at 9whp gain across the power band overall. And it did so consistently on cold runs as well as hot runs back to back. I do not have those graphs. I did record a video though but it would probably be too large to post. The point I'm making is that the results were repeatable. We did 7 pulls pre install and did 7 pulls post install to make sure it wasn't a fluke gain. We did back to back and then cold run and shut off and cold run and shut off and then the 3 hot runs back to back each session. Again repeatable.

I can hear it, I'm not saying I can't hear it at all I was just expecting way more from it considering the videos I watch (sound wise).

It's just so much quieter compared to the injen intake.

I'm on stock tune though. I'm sure if I tuned on hondata it would most likely be noticeably louder.

I will say this though it hits peak boost between 23lbs-25lbs of boost. When it peaks at 25 the power is very noticeable but that was in the middle of the day. I need to do some highway pulls at night and see how it does.

I've almost convinced myself to get my ecu cloned and dyno tune the cloned ecu on hondata. I am very impressed with their results from just a tune. Probably going to get a downpipe and intercooler as well.

I am willing to bet that with the proper intercooler that I will gain in the midrange, if I had to guess I think I could squeeze another 10whp from a quality intercooler even without a tune.

CanadianFK8

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Country flag
Wow for the 25lbs peak your seeing, shit I don't think iv ever seen more than 22-23 on the dash gauge under any pulls. And it's usually around 20. Always try and run 94 octane here... Still on my winter tires, so traction is non existent till it warms up a bit and I can swap wheels.

The consistency of the 9 peak is def good and you ran it through the paces. Promising results for the future!

Hondata is the way to go for sure. I'll prob take that leap some day, but still gonna hang on to warranty as long as I can. Lol

fiend busa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Yes I have the HVI. I certainly paid HVI prices.

The mid range power band was 99% comparable to stock numbers. Barely any change. Low range and high range power band is where it made the power and then peaked at 9whp gain across the power band overall. And it did so consistently on cold runs as well as hot runs back to back. I do not have those graphs. I did record a video though but it would probably be too large to post. The point I'm making is that the results were repeatable. We did 7 pulls pre install and did 7 pulls post install to make sure it wasn't a fluke gain. We did back to back and then cold run and shut off and cold run and shut off and then the 3 hot runs back to back each session. Again repeatable.

I can hear it, I'm not saying I can't hear it at all I was just expecting way more from it considering the videos I watch (sound wise).

It's just so much quieter compared to the injen intake.

I'm on stock tune though. I'm sure if I tuned on hondata it would most likely be noticeably louder.

I will say this though it hits peak boost between 23lbs-25lbs of boost. When it peaks at 25 the power is very noticeable but that was in the middle of the day. I need to do some highway pulls at night and see how it does.

I've almost convinced myself to get my ecu cloned and dyno tune the cloned ecu on hondata. I am very impressed with their results from just a tune. Probably going to get a downpipe and intercooler as well.

I am willing to bet that with the proper intercooler that I will gain in the midrange, if I had to guess I think I could squeeze another 10whp from a quality intercooler even without a tune.
I've run the HVI on a stock tune and Hondata's 93 Octane tune.

IT'S WAY LOUDER once you slap on a tune. It makes the most sound in the low to mid RPM range not going WOT (basically city driving lol)

WOT to redline just makes the pew sound

If you get on it in the low to mid range, once boost builds, let go and it makes a big WHOOSH sound. Not sure why that is, im guessing because that's where the most torque is?

OP
OP

BlackCTR

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Wow for the 25lbs peak your seeing, shit I don't think iv ever seen more than 22-23 on the dash gauge under any pulls. And it's usually around 20. Always try and run 94 octane here... Still on my winter tires, so traction is non existent till it warms up a bit and I can swap wheels.

The consistency of the 9 peak is def good and you ran it through the paces. Promising results for the future!

Hondata is the way to go for sure. I'll prob take that leap some day, but still gonna hang on to warranty as long as I can. Lol
It has a great deal to do with the redesign of the front grill. Honda really took some strides for the 2020 model to combat the heatsoak issues. The power is more consistent and you can tell the intercooler is getting the air it needs which is why I feel confident that a quality intercooler alone will increase whp and my solid guess would be between 5whp-10whp just bolt on from based on what I saw on the dyno today and with drivability/spirited driving.

The 2017 wasn't a bad car but it had some design flaws when you compare it to the 2020 model I currently have.

I wonder though how Hondata will work with the new systems they added for example Collison Mitigation System, LKAS, Road Departure Mitigation, Power Steering Assist, and Adaptive Cruise Control.

These are all new systems and features now added to the 2020 model year.

Can Hondata turn all these systems off and can only 1 or 2 be active at a time verses all being active and ect.

Personally I do not care for the Collison Mitigation System or VSA. Can these services be permanently be turned off in the ecu?

CanadianFK8

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Country flag
It has a great deal to do with the redesign of the front grill. Honda really took some strides for the 2020 model to combat the heatsoak issues. The power is more consistent and you can tell the intercooler is getting the air it needs which is why I feel confident that a quality intercooler alone will increase whp and my solid guess would be between 5whp-10whp just bolt on from based on what I saw on the dyno today and with drivability/spirited driving.

The 2017 wasn't a bad car but it had some design flaws when you compare it to the 2020 model I currently have.

I wonder though how Hondata will work with the new systems they added for example Collison Mitigation System, LKAS, Road Departure Mitigation, Power Steering Assist, and Adaptive Cruise Control.

Can Hondata turn all these systems off and can only 1 or 2 be active at a time verses all being active and ect.

Personally I do not care for the Collison Mitigation System or VSA. Can these services be permanently be turned off in the ecu?
As far as I know Hondata is still working on getting a 2020 type R to test and build on that ECU version. It won't be long though and you should be able to see what it will be capable of options/tune wise.

Zpeedster M

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Country flag
If Hondata doesn't have option to turn off that inaccurate and annoying TPMS error I doubt they will do it for the new safety systems but you never know.

evolute

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag
Nice to see another Jacksonville CTR on the boards. It is also nice to see that there are places in Jax that can tunes these cars.
Sponsored