2020 Type-R Parts

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
Wish granted.

Finally received and installed 2020 CTR shifter (54100-TGH-G01) after letting the car sit for three weeks with the center console torn apart. Took it out for a 30-min test drive and it was fantastic.

2020 shifter is 3/4" shorter (upper rod) than '17-'19 shifter and the centering spring feels firmer. Lower rod is unchanged. Throw is obviously shorter due to shorter upper rod. Shifting action feels a little firmer, more precise and no notchiness or grind in any gear. I do have Acuity shifter cable bushings (recommended!) installed and everything else is factory. Shifting action isn't as firm and the throw isn't as short as Acuity's full shifter assembly. The shift knob does sit lower (around 0.4") than Acuity's lowest setting. Overall, the 2020 CTR shifter feels somewhere in the between the old factory shifter and the Acuity full shifter (with all setting in the middle) but without its firm shifting action.

For around $50 shipped + Acuity cable bushings. Recommended!
thank you for the pictures. I always thought the bottom was longer to give it a shorter throw along with the shortened height but i guess it is only the knob height that is lowered. The firm feeling from the centering spring and the shifting action can possibly come from the required effort due to the shortened knob height. I was possibly thinking about replacing the acuity with the 2020 shifter but now im not so sure.
Sponsored

JohnEBlaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 CW Type R
Country flag
Awesome! Thanks for the very useful information. If you want to drop the height of the shifter another ½ inch, you could use the 2020 locking but and retaining ring. As for the increased stiffness, a new shifter (even 2017-19) will do that. It was one of the first things I noticed back a few months ago when I had to get mine replaced.
thanks for posting. Did you use the my 20 lock nut so the leather boot fits?

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
thanks for posting. Did you use the my 20 lock nut so the leather boot fits?
I bought a 2020 locking nut a while back. The 2017-19 boot (retaining ring) definitely does NOT work with it unless you get some spacers (⅛ inch or so). I ordered a 2020 and am waiting for it. It left the warehouse so it should be around next week. My 2020 shift knob from SWEIDIT should be here next week at some point as well (fingers crossed).

Iilac

Spelled with a I not a L for Iilac.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000, CTR, TUNDRA, MAXIMA, CX9
Country flag
I bought a 2020 locking nut a while back. The 2017-19 boot (retaining ring) definitely does NOT work with it unless you get some spacers (⅛ inch or so). I ordered a 2020 and am waiting for it. It left the warehouse so it should be around next week. My 2020 shift knob from SWEIDIT should be here next week at some point as well (fingers crossed).
You mind posting where you purchased the 2020 shift boot and base? I have a order in on a dealer website and they don't have a firm ETA on it at this time.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
You mind posting where you purchased the 2020 shift boot and base? I have a order in on a dealer website and they don't have a firm ETA on it at this time.
I went through a local dealership as well.

Edit: the only way to get a somewhat reliable ETA of when your part will hit a warehouse is by placing a rush order.

98-0425

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Type-R #12307, 98 Integra Type-R #0425, 07 Pilot EX-L, 17 Pilot Elite
Country flag
Just place the order online and either email/call the parts department. The online dealer emailed me when I ordered that it was backordered. I got an email two days ago saying "it was released from backorder" on 3/31/2020.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
thank you for the pictures. I always thought the bottom was longer to give it a shorter throw along with the shortened height but i guess it is only the knob height that is lowered. The firm feeling from the centering spring and the shifting action can possibly come from the required effort due to the shortened knob height. I was possibly thinking about replacing the acuity with the 2020 shifter but now im not so sure.
Keep the Acuity unless you find it too stiff. Throw is shorter on the 2020 shifter but not as short as Acuity. Gate spacing feels the same as old shifter (quite a bit wider than Acuity).

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Awesome! Thanks for the very useful information. If you want to drop the height of the shifter another ½ inch, you could use the 2020 locking but and retaining ring. As for the increased stiffness, a new shifter (even 2017-19) will do that. It was one of the first things I noticed back a few months ago when I had to get mine replaced.
Didn’t know 2020 lock nut doesn’t work with old shift boot until I read your old thread. I’ll experiment with adding a spacer or just use existing nut. The new nut costs as much as the new shifter. Lol.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Didn’t know 2020 lock nut doesn’t work with old shift boot until I read your old thread. I’ll experiment with adding a spacer or just use existing nut. The new nut costs as much as the new shifter. Lol.
Yeah, the new nut I think is more expensive than the shifter :dunno: Honda pricing at its finest. I found a 10mm hex nut that I stacked on top of the new locking nut until my shift boot comes in. If you can find washers in the right size those should work too. They're ghetto solutions, but they do work.

JohnEBlaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 CW Type R
Country flag
So I'll need the MY20 boot assembly to get the retaining washer, MY20 lock nut, and MY20 shifter with knob to work with 17-19 leather boot correct?

I haven't seen them, have the PNs for the shock control module, control arms, bushings, and front lip been posted? Or the remaining updated PNs?

Last edited:

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So I'll need the MY20 boot assembly to get the retaining washer, MY20 lock nut, and MY20 shifter with knob to work with 17-19 leather boot correct?

I haven't seen them, have the PNs for the shock control module, control arms, bushings, and front lip been posted? Or the remaining updated PNs?
@tinyman392 said you can use old lock nut with old shift boot. Or you can use new locknut with old shift boot by using a 1/8" thick M10 spacer/washer/nut. Not sure about the rest of the parts.

https://www.civicx.com/threads/2020-type-r-parts.45008/page-18#post-763464

fiend busa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Wish granted.

Finally received and installed 2020 CTR shifter (54100-TGH-G01) after letting the car sit for three weeks with the center console torn apart. Took it out for a 30-min test drive and it was fantastic.

2020 shifter is 3/4" shorter (upper rod) than '17-'19 shifter and the centering spring feels firmer. Lower rod is unchanged. Throw is obviously shorter due to shorter upper rod. Shifting action feels a little firmer, more precise and no notchiness or grind in any gear. I do have Acuity shifter cable bushings (recommended!) installed and everything else is factory. Shifting action isn't as firm and the throw isn't as short as Acuity's full shifter assembly. The shift knob does sit lower (around 0.4") than Acuity's lowest setting. Overall, the 2020 CTR shifter feels somewhere in the between the old factory shifter and the Acuity full shifter (with all setting in the middle) but without its firm shifting action.

For around $50 shipped + Acuity cable bushings. Recommended!

Left = 2019 CTR shifter. Right = 2020 CTR shifter
IMG_2301.JPG

Left = 2019 CTR shifter. Right = 2020 CTR shifter
IMG_2302.JPG
IMG_2303.JPG

2019 CTR shifter centering spring (ignore the grease, I made a mess).
IMG_2304.JPG

2020 CTR shifter centering spring (I think it looks slightly thicker)
IMG_2305.JPG

2019 CTR shifter lower rod (same length as new shifter)
IMG_2308.JPG

2020 CTR shifter lower rod (same length as older shifter)
IMG_2307.JPG

All buttoned up! Sits lower and feels great on 2019 shift knob and nut (perfect fitment). 2020 shift knob and nut are still in transit but I couldn't wait, so I'll have another update!
IMG_2309.JPG
Do you have a link to all the part numbers needed to perform this swap?

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Do you have a link to all the part numbers needed to perform this swap?
The shifter itself is a straight swap. You can use the old shift boot and locking nut with it. If you want the new locking nut, you'll need the new shift boot (since that's the only way to get the retaining collar).

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag

The shift knob is compatible with the the MY17 lock nut and shift boot but will sit high. In order to get it to sit lower, you'll have some choices:
  1. MY20 Lock nut and shift boot: drops about ½"
  2. MY20 Lock nut + ⅛" spacer/washer/nut/etc.: drops about ⅜"
  3. MY20 Shifter: drops about ¾"
  4. Do (1) and (3) or (2) and (3): drops about 1⅛" - 1¼" (educated guess).
Edit: you can also go and use a 3rd party lock nut and collar. The amount the knob will drop will depend entirely on the dimensions of the locking nut.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag