2020 Type-R Parts

halohalomix206

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SGP FK8 TYPE R, X5M, Mini Cooper S
Country flag
is there a part number for the new 2020 grill?
Sponsored

FriscoBrah

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Championship White Civic Type R
Country flag
is there a part number for the new 2020 grill?
I'm not the source but here they are.

Grill: 71121-TGH-A51

Winglets above headlights are needed as well.

Right: 71124-TGG-A51
Left: 71129-TGG-A51

@jasonjm - if you want to update the parts list for the 20+ grill and headlight winglets.

Last edited:

Siblue

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Civic 18 Type R
Country flag

Right: 71124-TGH-A51
Left: 71129-TGH-A51

@jasonjm - if you want to update the parts list for the 20+ grill and headlight winglets.
I made an edit to my post.
Winglets are TGG not TGH

98-0425

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Type-R #12307, 98 Integra Type-R #0425, 07 Pilot EX-L, 17 Pilot Elite
Country flag
Installation would be the same as something like the Hybrid Racing or Acuity shifter. So if you want to know, look up the instructions for those. You kind of have to take off the center console which also has you disconnecting the infotainment if I’m not mistaken.
No need to remove the infotainment. Just all the way up to the climate control.

OP
OP

jasonjm

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-R
Country flag

Thanks, added!

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I received the 2020 locking nut and shift knob today. The locking nut is not compatible with the 2017-2019 shift boot collar since the new nut is a little short on the underside; in the image below, the distance marked in red is about 0.5" while the new nut is about 0.375" which leads to the incompatibility. The nut is considerably shorter overall however as the portion of the nut visible when the collar is locked in (green line) reduces from 0.375" down to <0.1" and the overall threading is also reduced by an additional 0.125" (approx) creating a setup where the shift knob will sit approximately 0.5" lower than it otherwise would with the old lock nut. The diameter of the part that clips in (blue line) is identical though, so if Honda really wanted to, they could make it so this lock nut was compatible with the old shift boot.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2020 Type-R Parts DSC08845

The 0.5" doesn't seem like it would be too much, but with the new shift knob, it actually makes quite a bit of difference. It shortens the throw quite a bit turning a shift knob that would be very smooth with an overly long throw to something that is still smooth but also notchy and somewhat mechanical. For whatever reason, with the new locking nut, it shifts very fast as well; the only other shift knob that would allow me to effortlessly shift this quickly was the super-light-weight Spoon Sports shift knob). I was one to feel like the stock knob was the best for the car, this new one (with the new lock nut) is indeed better as it increases smoothness and speed without reducing the notchiness of the stock that I really enjoyed. I personally wouldn't recommend this shift knob with the older locking nut, it basically feels like a smoother version of the accessory knob.

Speaking of the accessory knob, it too benefits when it sits lower on the shifter. Before it felt a lot like the new 2020 shift knob, just with an exaggerated, long throw which I wasn't so fond of. If you drop it another ½", you trade smoothness for mechanical feel. And you get a lot of mechanical feel and notchiness; it's somewhat ridiculous. Very similar in nature to the Spoon Sports shift knob, but without the added speed that the Spoon had.

In terms of size, the 2020 shift knob actually has very similar dimensions compared to the accessory (same diameter and height). The odd shape fits nicely in your hands as well which is a plus. It weighs in at 8.1oz (vs old [email protected], [email protected], OEM [email protected]).

That said, I do like the way the shift knob feels and the improvements the accessory has with the new lock nut so I did put an order in for the new shift boot. It's on backorder so who knows when it'll get to me :p

Honda Civic 10th gen 2020 Type-R Parts DSC08841

98-0425

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Type-R #12307, 98 Integra Type-R #0425, 07 Pilot EX-L, 17 Pilot Elite
Country flag
I received the 2020 locking nut and shift knob today. The locking nut is not compatible with the 2017-2019 shift boot collar since the new nut is a little short on the underside; in the image below, the distance marked in red is about 0.5" while the new nut is about 0.375" which leads to the incompatibility. The nut is considerably shorter overall however as the portion of the nut visible when the collar is locked in (green line) reduces from 0.375" down to <0.1" and the overall threading is also reduced by an additional 0.125" (approx) creating a setup where the shift knob will sit approximately 0.5" lower than it otherwise would with the old lock nut. The diameter of the part that clips in (blue line) is identical though, so if Honda really wanted to, they could make it so this lock nut was compatible with the old shift boot.

DSC08845.jpg

The 0.5" doesn't seem like it would be too much, but with the new shift knob, it actually makes quite a bit of difference. It shortens the throw quite a bit turning a shift knob that would be very smooth with an overly long throw to something that is still smooth but also notchy and somewhat mechanical. For whatever reason, with the new locking nut, it shifts very fast as well; the only other shift knob that would allow me to effortlessly shift this quickly was the super-light-weight Spoon Sports shift knob). I was one to feel like the stock knob was the best for the car, this new one (with the new lock nut) is indeed better as it increases smoothness and speed without reducing the notchiness of the stock that I really enjoyed. I personally wouldn't recommend this shift knob with the older locking nut, it basically feels like a smoother version of the accessory knob.

Speaking of the accessory knob, it too benefits when it sits lower on the shifter. Before it felt a lot like the new 2020 shift knob, just with an exaggerated, long throw which I wasn't so fond of. If you drop it another ½", you trade smoothness for mechanical feel. And you get a lot of mechanical feel and notchiness; it's somewhat ridiculous. Very similar in nature to the Spoon Sports shift knob, but without the added speed that the Spoon had.

In terms of size, the 2020 shift knob actually has very similar dimensions compared to the accessory (same diameter and height). The odd shape fits nicely in your hands as well which is a plus. It weighs in at 8.1oz (vs old [email protected], [email protected], OEM [email protected]).

That said, I do like the way the shift knob feels and the improvements the accessory has with the new lock nut so I did put an order in for the new shift boot. It's on backorder so who knows when it'll get to me :p

DSC08841.jpg
Good to hear the good feedback. My 2020 knob will arrive tomorrow. I will remove my Mugen knob on my HR shifter. I have a feeling I will enjoy it. I previously had the Honda Access S660 titanium knob prior to the HR shifter, and I liked the teardrop shape as opposed to ball shape.

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag

DSC08845.jpg

DSC08841.jpg
So are you saying we need the 2020 locking but as well to install the 2020 shift knob? Can’t reuse the 2017 one?

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
So are you saying we need the 2020 locking but as well to install the 2020 shift knob? Can’t reuse the 2017 one?
You can use the 2017 one, but the shift knob will sit ½ higher than if you use the 2020 lock nut. If you don’t mind a longer throw, you do get a very smooth shift with the combo.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Good to hear the good feedback. My 2020 knob will arrive tomorrow. I will remove my Mugen knob on my HR shifter. I have a feeling I will enjoy it. I previously had the Honda Access S660 titanium knob prior to the HR shifter, and I liked the teardrop shape as opposed to ball shape.
I have the S2k Ti knob, it’s pretty good. Then I learned that Honda made one that matches the CTR (color-wise) for the Fit.

Driveitlikeuboughtit

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
I have the S2k Ti knob, it’s pretty good. Then I learned that Honda made one that matches the CTR (color-wise) for the Fit.
Great write up! What's the part # for the 2020 locking nut? Did you try the S2k Ti knob + new locking nut? Do you have a pic of what the gap looks like with the old shift boot?

Did you get the new shift assembly as well?

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Great write up! What's the part # for the 2020 locking nut? Did you try the S2k Ti knob + new locking nut? Do you have a pic of what the gap looks like with the old shift boot?

Did you get the new shift assembly as well?
Haven’t tried the S2k knob with it. I have a couple more I want to try (like my Raceseng). I haven’t taken a picture of the sag, but it depends on the shift knob you’re using and how it’s set. The lower the shift knob less it sags, having a thinner base on the shift knob helps a bit as well as it gives the boot a place to lodge into. The OEM accessory knob almost bottoms out (when the shift pattern is straigh) but doesn’t by like a degree so the sag is smaller. The 2020 needs to be moved up a little and has a larger base, so it says a little more. I did not get the new shifter assembly. I got mine replaced a couple months ago with an OEM because the shift knob that came with the car most likely stripped it. Had I known this was coming out, I would have waited on replacing it.
Sponsored