tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Got an order with my local honda dealer going for the wheel, debating on the knob as well. Wonder how long they will be before they arrive.
I was told my shift knob would be here next week, the locking nut would be here tomorrow.
Sponsored

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
And everything else, including the seats, appears to be exactly the same. Which is what I said I expected to be the case. Still not sure what the point of all this is. You keep putting up pics as if they are going to be "Gotcha" moments, but they support the validity of my expectations. Am I missing something here?

PS: Not sure where this pictures comes from, but for now we will assume it is an official US Honda photo and shows the actual 2020 interior.

BTW: No, I am not blind.........
The person you quoted talked about he Alcantera steering wheel (which is kind of hard to distinguish whether its Alcantera or camera noise; it is Alcantera per the press release though) and the shift knob which is obviously different as it's not longer spherical (and rather more teardrop shaped); according to Honda press it will also have a 90g counterweight in the knob as well. The first one I can understand not seeing, even after it was pointed out. The second one is extremely difficult to not see after its pointed out. Not mentioned by the person you quoted, but the shift boot is also Alcantera now as well, though it has the same "is it noise or Alcantera" issue the steering wheel has.

The picture is a Honda press photo.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
Not mentioned by the person you quoted, but the shift boot is also Alcantera now as well, though it has the same "is it noise or Alcantera" issue the steering wheel has.

The picture is a Honda press photo.
the shift boot looked like it was definitely alcantara in the press cars.
but i saw this on instagram and they claim its a 2020 trim and its leather.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Unless Honda is lying in their press release, it should be "sueded"

https://hondanews.com/en-US/honda-a...nsing-and-new-logr-datalogging-smartphone-app
INTERIOR UPGRADES
Inside, the 2020 Civic Type R gets a new Alcantara™-wrapped steering wheel, a new shift lever with a restyled knob and sueded shift boot. The new knob shape is reminiscent of previous Type R models, including the original 1997 Civic Type R. Part of the knob’s design is a 90g counterweight built inside, which helps improves shift feel and accuracy.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
your right. that's weird those guys claim 2020 then. Maybe they just sent him a 2019 trim instead :rofl:
LOL, maybe it was part of the reason why stuff was delayed and interiors were cut off. It's possible they were still settling down on what would be included with 2020 and what would be included with Limited Edition.

HRace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Country flag
I believe it’s poorly and misleadingly written. I think the 2020 in their post refers only to the knob. All the press photos show a suede shift boot with a red ring under the knob which is also not shown here. Since it is also directly called out in the written press release I don’t think the shift boot above is a 2020.

wassen

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Website
200sx.kicks-ass.net
Vehicle(s)
CTR 2017, Volvo V70
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Anyone ordered the new alcantara steering wheel? Would be nice to hear about first impressions and pics. The price appears to be very good as well. Aftermarket ones are much more expensive.

Maximum6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000 2005, Type R 2019
Country flag
Interested in someone testing the new radiator core and the new grille on the track and gather data on 2017-2019 cars.

I think I might go this route when I track the car.

They did mention they revised the front splitter to help with downforce from the extra lift that the car has from the open grille. Any part number for the new revised splitter?

Maximum6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000 2005, Type R 2019
Country flag
Also since he new 2020 grille has closed up the top opening and made the bottom opening bigger,

Where will the intake air come from?

OP
OP

jasonjm

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-R
Country flag
I just added to the list the new front spoiler aka lip or splitter. The new front grill reduced downforce enough that they had to redesign the front splitter by making it wider, and deeper. It may also be a couple mm lower.

For anyone that did an aftermarket grill like the procivic, eBay, or Js (especially the Js), you definitely want to run an aftermarket splitter. In fact you may want to rethink and go more aggressive. Basically we’re starting with a net negative when a new grill is equipped.

Seeing what Honda did it might be mandatory to do a wider more aggressive splitter and canards. Where as before we thought just a moderate splitter was good enough.

I think canards would be a cheap addition to anyone running a splitter to get more downforce.

Last edited:

Maximum6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000 2005, Type R 2019
Country flag
I believe putting hood vents like Trackspec Motorsport vents would increase downforce, but that would all be shooting in the dark without data.

Will trial the grille, splitter, radiator core from OEM to see if it is durable enough for HPDE

CincyTypeR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R #0426. 2014 Accord Coupe V6
Country flag
Talk about the decrease in downforce makes me curious on the other aftermarket grills like @jasonjm mentioned. More so really curious on how the Varis Arising II changes everything. Splitter on it looks pretty aggressive while they also have optional canards.

Type-JZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Lexus GS350, B13 Sentra SE-R, '93 Camry, '07 TSX, '13 Odyssey
Country flag
Talk about the decrease in downforce makes me curious on the other aftermarket grills like @jasonjm mentioned. More so really curious on how the Varis Arising II changes everything. Splitter on it looks pretty aggressive while they also have optional canards.
not saying anyone is wrong, but i wouldn't worry about this or consider it a deal breaker. To 95% of the people, this isn't going to matter. The other 5% or less that is chasing tenths of a sec or competing, it may matter.

TypeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 CBP CTR, '17 SGP SPORT TOURING 6MT(SOLD)
Country flag
Interested in someone testing the new radiator core and the new grille on the track and gather data on 2017-2019 cars.

I think I might go this route when I track the car.

They did mention they revised the front splitter to help with downforce from the extra lift that the car has from the open grille. Any part number for the new revised splitter?
2020 is currently showing the same part number as 2017-2019 front splitter 71102-TGH-A00
Sponsored