2020 Type-R Parts

slowride

Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 PMM Type-R
Country flag
I have driven in 2 Michigan winters on the stock brake pads and rotors and they don't make any noise or have issues with stopping...not sure where that is coming from in here.

Advertisement

Florence_NC

Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
Climate control with A/C delete o_Oo_Oo_O really?
If I am reading correctly, the AC and radio delete will be limited to the 100 European models of the Limited Edition. This is clearly aimed at having a car with just a bit more steam to go after the Nurburgring record, without having to make all of them undesirable to daily drive.

Last edited:

Florence_NC

Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
The person you quoted talked about he Alcantera steering wheel (which is kind of hard to distinguish whether its Alcantera or camera noise; it is Alcantera per the press release though) and the shift knob which is obviously different as it's not longer spherical (and rather more teardrop shaped); according to Honda press it will also have a 90g counterweight in the knob as well. The first one I can understand not seeing, even after it was pointed out. The second one is extremely difficult to not see after its pointed out. Not mentioned by the person you quoted, but the shift boot is also Alcantera now as well, though it has the same "is it noise or Alcantera" issue the steering wheel has.

The picture is a Honda press photo.
OK, still don't get the point being made. It has been made abundantly clear from the very first announcement of the 2020 changes that the steering wheel and shifter knob were changing. It was mentioned in the initial press release, shown in the initial pictures, new part numbers have been posted here, actual pre-production cars have been photographed with them, etc. So how is this still a point of discussion?

The only thing that makes sense to me here is that no one making these comments has looked at the entire conversation for context. My very first original statement on the interior subject was in response to some asking if the SEATS had changed. Not the shifter, not the steering wheel, the SEATS. Every comment I have made was in the context of that ongoing conversation.

If anyone jumped into this conversation after it started, and was was confused about that fact due to a lack of reading the entire conversation for context, I don't know what to tell you. Other than maybe read the entire conversation for context next time?

halohalomix206

Reaction score
Car(s)
SGP FK8 TYPE R, X5M, Mini Cooper S
Country flag
is there a part number for the new 2020 grill?

FriscoBrah

Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Championship White Civic Type R
Country flag
is there a part number for the new 2020 grill?
I'm not the source but here they are.

Grill: 71121-TGH-A51

Winglets above headlights are needed as well.

Right: 71124-TGG-A51
Left: 71129-TGG-A51

@jasonjm - if you want to update the parts list for the 20+ grill and headlight winglets.

Last edited:

Siblue

First Name
Ryan
Reaction score
Car(s)
96 Civic 18 Type R
Country flag

Right: 71124-TGH-A51
Left: 71129-TGH-A51

@jasonjm - if you want to update the parts list for the 20+ grill and headlight winglets.
I made an edit to my post.
Winglets are TGG not TGH

98-0425

First Name
Nick
Reaction score
Car(s)
18 Civic Type-R #12307, 98 Integra Type-R #0425, 07 Pilot EX-L, 17 Pilot Elite
Country flag
Installation would be the same as something like the Hybrid Racing or Acuity shifter. So if you want to know, look up the instructions for those. You kind of have to take off the center console which also has you disconnecting the infotainment if I’m not mistaken.
No need to remove the infotainment. Just all the way up to the climate control.

OP

jasonjm

First Name
Jason
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type-R
Country flag

Thanks, added!

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Reaction score
Car(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I received the 2020 locking nut and shift knob today. The locking nut is not compatible with the 2017-2019 shift boot collar since the new nut is a little short on the underside; in the image below, the distance marked in red is about 0.5" while the new nut is about 0.375" which leads to the incompatibility. The nut is considerably shorter overall however as the portion of the nut visible when the collar is locked in (green line) reduces from 0.375" down to <0.1" and the overall threading is also reduced by an additional 0.125" (approx) creating a setup where the shift knob will sit approximately 0.5" lower than it otherwise would with the old lock nut. The diameter of the part that clips in (blue line) is identical though, so if Honda really wanted to, they could make it so this lock nut was compatible with the old shift boot.

DSC08845.jpg

The 0.5" doesn't seem like it would be too much, but with the new shift knob, it actually makes quite a bit of difference. It shortens the throw quite a bit turning a shift knob that would be very smooth with an overly long throw to something that is still smooth but also notchy and somewhat mechanical. For whatever reason, with the new locking nut, it shifts very fast as well; the only other shift knob that would allow me to effortlessly shift this quickly was the super-light-weight Spoon Sports shift knob). I was one to feel like the stock knob was the best for the car, this new one (with the new lock nut) is indeed better as it increases smoothness and speed without reducing the notchiness of the stock that I really enjoyed. I personally wouldn't recommend this shift knob with the older locking nut, it basically feels like a smoother version of the accessory knob.

Speaking of the accessory knob, it too benefits when it sits lower on the shifter. Before it felt a lot like the new 2020 shift knob, just with an exaggerated, long throw which I wasn't so fond of. If you drop it another ½", you trade smoothness for mechanical feel. And you get a lot of mechanical feel and notchiness; it's somewhat ridiculous. Very similar in nature to the Spoon Sports shift knob, but without the added speed that the Spoon had.

In terms of size, the 2020 shift knob actually has very similar dimensions compared to the accessory (same diameter and height). The odd shape fits nicely in your hands as well which is a plus. It weighs in at 8.1oz (vs old [email protected], [email protected], OEM [email protected]).

That said, I do like the way the shift knob feels and the improvements the accessory has with the new lock nut so I did put an order in for the new shift boot. It's on backorder so who knows when it'll get to me :p

DSC08841.jpg

98-0425

First Name
Nick
Reaction score
Car(s)
18 Civic Type-R #12307, 98 Integra Type-R #0425, 07 Pilot EX-L, 17 Pilot Elite
Country flag
I received the 2020 locking nut and shift knob today. The locking nut is not compatible with the 2017-2019 shift boot collar since the new nut is a little short on the underside; in the image below, the distance marked in red is about 0.5" while the new nut is about 0.375" which leads to the incompatibility. The nut is considerably shorter overall however as the portion of the nut visible when the collar is locked in (green line) reduces from 0.375" down to <0.1" and the overall threading is also reduced by an additional 0.125" (approx) creating a setup where the shift knob will sit approximately 0.5" lower than it otherwise would with the old lock nut. The diameter of the part that clips in (blue line) is identical though, so if Honda really wanted to, they could make it so this lock nut was compatible with the old shift boot.

DSC08845.jpg

The 0.5" doesn't seem like it would be too much, but with the new shift knob, it actually makes quite a bit of difference. It shortens the throw quite a bit turning a shift knob that would be very smooth with an overly long throw to something that is still smooth but also notchy and somewhat mechanical. For whatever reason, with the new locking nut, it shifts very fast as well; the only other shift knob that would allow me to effortlessly shift this quickly was the super-light-weight Spoon Sports shift knob). I was one to feel like the stock knob was the best for the car, this new one (with the new lock nut) is indeed better as it increases smoothness and speed without reducing the notchiness of the stock that I really enjoyed. I personally wouldn't recommend this shift knob with the older locking nut, it basically feels like a smoother version of the accessory knob.

Speaking of the accessory knob, it too benefits when it sits lower on the shifter. Before it felt a lot like the new 2020 shift knob, just with an exaggerated, long throw which I wasn't so fond of. If you drop it another ½", you trade smoothness for mechanical feel. And you get a lot of mechanical feel and notchiness; it's somewhat ridiculous. Very similar in nature to the Spoon Sports shift knob, but without the added speed that the Spoon had.

In terms of size, the 2020 shift knob actually has very similar dimensions compared to the accessory (same diameter and height). The odd shape fits nicely in your hands as well which is a plus. It weighs in at 8.1oz (vs old [email protected], [email protected], OEM [email protected]).

That said, I do like the way the shift knob feels and the improvements the accessory has with the new lock nut so I did put an order in for the new shift boot. It's on backorder so who knows when it'll get to me :p

DSC08841.jpg
Good to hear the good feedback. My 2020 knob will arrive tomorrow. I will remove my Mugen knob on my HR shifter. I have a feeling I will enjoy it. I previously had the Honda Access S660 titanium knob prior to the HR shifter, and I liked the teardrop shape as opposed to ball shape.

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 CTR, 2014 911 4S, 2019 Range Rover, 2018 F-JuanFitty
Country flag

DSC08845.jpg

DSC08841.jpg
So are you saying we need the 2020 locking but as well to install the 2020 shift knob? Can’t reuse the 2017 one?

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Reaction score
Car(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
So are you saying we need the 2020 locking but as well to install the 2020 shift knob? Can’t reuse the 2017 one?
You can use the 2017 one, but the shift knob will sit ½ higher than if you use the 2020 lock nut. If you don’t mind a longer throw, you do get a very smooth shift with the combo.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Reaction score
Car(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Good to hear the good feedback. My 2020 knob will arrive tomorrow. I will remove my Mugen knob on my HR shifter. I have a feeling I will enjoy it. I previously had the Honda Access S660 titanium knob prior to the HR shifter, and I liked the teardrop shape as opposed to ball shape.
I have the S2k Ti knob, it’s pretty good. Then I learned that Honda made one that matches the CTR (color-wise) for the Fit.