Advertisement

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Reaction score
Car(s)
Corvette Z06
Country flag
Please research the difference in the two types and then read it. There are plenty of threads about noisy two piece systems whether by design, or issues with the way they are made. More parts in a sense with the floating hub. We will wait and see.
Are we sure the new 2 piece rotors are true floating type? Being 2 piece is not the same. Floating rotors have slot that allow the rotor to expand radially which some other 2 piece rotors are fixed. I think you will find the true floating rotor is the better performing rotor but also more expensive and noisy.

DRKSYD

First Name
Steve
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Are we sure the new 2 piece rotors are true floating type? Being 2 piece is not the same. Floating rotors have slot that allow the rotor to expand radially which some other 2 piece rotors are fixed. I think you will find the true floating rotor is the better performing rotor but also more expensive and noisy.
My point. If it isn't a true floating 2 piece design, we will have to wait and see if they are worth it. Cost, noise or performance wise.

My opinions are based on WI weather. The OEM 19 rotors and pads would never heat up enough for daily driving. I understand they are for performance driving, but how many people are holding their cars to ideal conditions? For that matter, if it was a track or dedicated car, I wouldn't be running the OEM setup anyway.

I do hope they are better as the more parts we have, the better. Snow tires/wheels, will be coming off soon. Titans and summer rubber will feel better than anything at that point.

Last edited:

TypeSiR

Reaction score
Car(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
These are showing up on google. Still missing the front grille (should be around $120-ish). Add shipping if ordering online. Where to order? Google each part number below and choose your poison (caveat emptor). Best to talk to your dealer to see if you can get them cheaper, factoring in shipping.

- brake rotors - 45251-TGH-A01
- brake pads - 45022-TGH-A12
- front grill - 71121-TGH-A51
- alcantara steering wheel - 78501-TGH-C90ZA
- shifter (shorter for 2020) 54100-TGH-G01
- new knob 54102-TGH-G00
- rear lower arms: 52355-TGH-A10 (L), 52350-TGH-A10 (R)

Roughly around $1200** (excluding tax and shipping) to turn your old car into a slick suede mobile without all the nannies. **Prices will fluctuate depending on supply and demand. Early bird gets....

upload_2020-2-15_16-32-7.png

Last edited:
OP

jasonjm

First Name
Jason
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type-R
Country flag
So the part numbers of the rear upper and lower control arms didn't change?
That means that every fk8 that ever would need a new rear control arm gets better bushings.
Thanks I’ll update the list.

19typeRblk

First Name
Jack
Reaction score
Car(s)
1989 Porsche 944 turbo S, 1978 Porsche 911SC, 2014 Toyota Tundra
Country flag
I would really I be really interested in the updated rear control arms. I'm assuming it's not a big deal to swap out from the existing ones. Has anyone confirmed the 2020 front grill is a staight swap from the 2017/2019 front grill?

OP

jasonjm

First Name
Jason
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type-R
Country flag
I would really I be really interested in the updated rear control arms. I'm assuming it's not a big deal to swap out from the existing ones. Has anyone confirmed the 2020 front grill is a staight swap from the 2017/2019 front grill?
I can’t see a reason why the rear arms were updated other than for more rear camber, weight, or for new bushing design. Of course again sometimes purely because a new manufacturer is making them, a new pet number will be issued.

Iilac

Spelled with a I not a L for Iilac.
Reaction score
Car(s)
S2000, CTR, G35S, Maxima
Country flag
Someone on facebook posted that the new rotors weight the same as the 17-19 rotors. There is no weight benefit to the new rotors at al.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Reaction score
Car(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I can’t see a reason why the rear arms were updated other than for more rear camber, weight, or for new bushing design. Of course again sometimes purely because a new manufacturer is making them, a new pet number will be issued.
The updated the suspension to do 2 things:
  1. Provide better comfort in comfort mode
  2. Provide more grip in +R mode

Gansan

First Name
Glen
Reaction score
Car(s)
1999 NSX, 2018 Civic Type R, 2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
Country flag
Someone on facebook posted that the new rotors weight the same as the 17-19 rotors. There is no weight benefit to the new rotors at al.
Maybe someone has already mentioned it, but two piece rotors also extend the life of wheel bearings because less of the heat from the brakes is transferred to the hub. The grease lasts much longer.

willskiGT

Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Civic Type R #26262
Country flag
Please research the difference in the two types and then read it. There are plenty of threads about noisy two piece systems whether by design, or issues with the way they are made. More parts in a sense with the floating hub. We will wait and see.
Well aware of the different types of brake rotors that are made for cars. None of your posts are cohrerent. Use words to explain the concepts and ideas you are trying to convey, instead of saying things like "they'll squeak if they aren't done right". That is utterly meaningless.

I've driven many cars with 2-piece floating rotors, and have never had issues with noise from the rotor design. Of course, you can get pad deposits or race pads that will cause brake squeal, but this has nothing to do with the rotor design.

My opinions are based on WI weather. The OEM 19 rotors and pads would never heat up enough for daily driving. I understand they are for performance driving, but how many people are holding their cars to ideal conditions?
What are you talking about? The OEM pads are absolutely "up to temperature" in daily driving, as they have a an operating temp range of ~50F-600F. A single stop from >25mph to zero will get them up to "operating temperature". That's why they are poor for heavy track driving, because they are designed to work for daily driving (and the temperature ranges the car encounters during daily driving).

I don't know of any Brembo 2-piece applications that are not floating. Generally, the only manufacturers who make fixed 2-piece rotors are aftermarket companies. 2-piece fixed rotors are not safe for high performance use.

Last edited:

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Reaction score
Car(s)
Corvette Z06
Country flag
I don't know of any Brembo 2-piece applications that are not floating. Generally, the only manufacturers who make fixed 2-piece rotors are aftermarket companies. 2-piece fixed rotors are not safe for high performance use.
Most 2 piece floating rotor manufacturers market the rings themselves. It is possible that Honda doesn't want untrained people trying to reconnect used rotor hats with new rotor rings and therefore are not interested in selling rings only. To be fair, if you were paying full labour rates to switch rings, it might be cheaper just to buy the hat/ring combo.

OTOH, we won't know if it is a true floating rotor until someone takes the hat and ring apart. Certainly it looks like the hat is much beefier that the Girodisc ones which may add to the OEM weight.

Agree that noise issues are usually due to inadequate/poorly functioning anti rattle springs in the hardware and with a good manufacturer, OEM or aftermarket, this should not be a problem.