2020 Type R Owners Who Have Upgraded from a 2017-2019

CanadaCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R (CW)
Country flag
I thought the comfort mode was supposed to be softer in the 2020 model while the sport and +R settings should be stiffer (or the same stiffness). Keep in mind that suspension components are indeed wear items, so they will change over time.
The dampers now adjust 20 times per second rather than 2, so 10 times faster. That is what makes it feel so much better on crappy roads. It's a similar strategy to how McLaren and Porsche get such supple rides on their cars with their magnetic suspension, just to a lesser degree on the Civic obviously. It was very noticeable to me so I'm surprised to hear some people can't really tell a difference but I guess everyone has different criteria.

I used to have a Sport Touring Hatchback and the 2020 Type R is more compliant in Comfort mode than that car was. It's most noticeable over bumps or dips in the road.

m3cosmos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE
Country flag
I had a 2017 and now a 2020. The most noticeable difference is the ride quality. The 2017 feels it's always bottoming out over bumps for some reason. I don't know if it's due to the slow reaction of the electronic shock that causes this but the issue is resolved now. Another important thing is that no more grinding gears. I do not know if I got a good transmission this time around or if it's all fixed on the 2020. I have not heard any brake squeal now and it seems to be smoother and the volume knob is another great thing LOL. Three grand is quite the Msrp difference i would gladly pay that to get the better ride and a working transmisstion.

Personally never really notice the shifter feel, steering wheel material, nor active sound. These are small differences.

mmm def

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 CTR, 13 GS350
Country flag
I owned a 2017 CTR and now a 2020 CTR. The reason for that is I traded the 17 in on an ND Miata (used) after 10k miles, and then traded that it on the 20 CTR after 10k miles. I wasn't bored of the 17, I just like to try other cars and I had another daily driver family sedan. I really didn't have any complaints with the 17. The 20 rides a little nicer, the alcantara wheel is ok I prefer leather and I really HATE the hondasense. It made me realize I drive a little too closely to people when they turn as it's always hitting the brakes so I'll need to adjust my driving. No I don't think it's worth it to go from a 17 -> 20 just because. In hindsight, it was a gigantic waste of $ and I should have just kept the 17.

Mature Banana

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
I had a 2019 and now have a 2020. I donā€™t do track days, just spirited daily driving. Here are my thoughts which I hope are of some help.

1. Fake sound only becomes noticeable in +R mode. I initially found it annoying but have come to like it and now canā€™t tell itā€™s there.

2. Shifter has noticeably shorter throws and needs a more purposeful, mechanical feeling action to engage each gear. I really prefer it over the 2019 shifter. Tho, I prefer the shape of the 2019 shift knob.

3. Brakes. Pedal travel to engage is slightly shorter and overall feels a little stiffer. Actual brake performance seems the same in daily driving, as youā€™d imagine.

4. Adaptive suspension. Maybe I can slightly tell that comfort mode is softer and +R mode is harsher but they are small differences.

5. Alcantara steering wheel and shift boot. Look great and thatā€™s it for me. I have a leather cover on the steering wheel since I wanted more girth and prefer leather.... ?

6. Honda Sensing. This is awesome and easily disabled through a couple of button presses. The lane keep assist felt bonkers strange to me at first, but I am quickly used to it and it is awesome for my daily commute.

7. Headlights. These are much better, seem brighter and more uniform. I dislike the auto high beam feature, tho, since it is a pain to disengage. Iā€™m often blinding pedestrians and cyclists in neighborhoods and find myself fumbling like a fool, attempting to disengage the lights.

8. Exterior mods. I really prefer the new fender designs.

JohnEBlaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 CW Type R
Country flag
Can you point me to the 2020 equivalent shifter upgrade for the 2017-2019? Thanks.
Shifter (shorter for 2020): 54100-TGH-G01

New shift knob, tear shape, 90g: 54102-TGH-G00

Suede shift boot and surround (includes retaining ring): 77296-TGH-A11ZA

2020 shifter lock nut: 54103-TGH-G00

JohnEBlaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 CW Type R
Country flag
7. Headlights. These are much better, seem brighter and more uniform. I dislike the auto high beam feature, tho, since it is a pain to disengage. Iā€™m often blinding pedestrians and cyclists in neighborhoods and find myself fumbling like a fool, attempting to disengage the lights.
The headlights are the same PN. They didn't update them as they did with the Si and Sport models.

CanadaCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R (CW)
Country flag
Thatā€™s odd since I can definitely notice an improvement. Maybe the lights on my previous model had an issue.
+1 the Headlights on my 2020 Type R are WAY brighter/better than my 2017 Sport Touring Hatch.

I believe they got updated at some point after 2016/2017, so maybe they just kept the part number the same post-update. I am not sure about that but the lights are definitely not the same as a 2017 sport touring.

I know when the 10th gen Civic originally debuted, the headlight brightness prevented it from getting a 5 star safety rating in all categories, so they updated it sometime after.

GTWaggin'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sonic Gray Type R
Country flag
This is an interesting thread! I had the choice of a SGP 19, or 20, with a $2600 discount off MSRP on the '19 (good timing). I would have taken either year, but felt the Sensing was not worth it without Blindspot, and rear cross traffic warning. The new damping system sounds great, but the Alcantara wheel was a negative. So, both amazing machines!

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
This is an interesting thread! I had the choice of a SGP 19, or 20, with a $2600 discount off MSRP on the '19 (good timing). I would have taken either year, but felt the Sensing was not worth it without Blindspot, and rear cross traffic warning. The new damping system sounds great, but the Alcantara wheel was a negative. So, both amazing machines!
Oh you gotta be kidding me. It doesn't have blind spot radar?

COME ON HONDA

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Oh you gotta be kidding me. It doesn't have blind spot radar?

COME ON HONDA
Or PARKING alerting when backing up or pulling forward - lol

That one really baffled me. All that tech and my wife would still hit the house in it.

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8 Type R, 2007 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I didn't own a 2019 or earlier, but I have driven them. Biggest difference to me is ride quality and brake feel. The brakes are extremely immediate on the 2020. It actually takes some getting used to to avoid jerky stops at first. Works great on spirited drives though. I'm also a huge fan of the alcantara wheel. It actually seemed to improve steering feel in some way. I've been really diligent about keeping it clean, but I suspect it won't hold up for as long as I plan to keep the car.
The alcantara wheel is a little skinnier which helps with feel.

Having owned and put 25k miles on a 19, and now 5550 on my 2020 I prefer the 2020 every way. Y'all act like the Honda sensing is on all the time. With vsa off like it should be (unless it's wet) there's no difference.

Doing the 1200 mile round trip to the tail of the dragon in the 2020 was nice being able to go miles and miles without touching a pedal and just wiggling the steering wheel every now and then. In my 19 that drive would have been dreadful. Constant throttle and brake modulation makes my body hurt from my back down after long periods and the cruise control on the 17-19 is useless. So with this only my bum gets numb from sitting too long and the car reminds me to steer even though the road is completely straight.

Fake engine noise is a few screws and plug away. With the stock exhaust I didn't really notice it nor did it bother me. With my full exhaust it just sounded so wrong
Sponsored