tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I think the next one up is the Hawk HP Plus and they say street and track day. After that then you get into strictly track pads and not for street use.
I had strictly hawk track pads on my Porsche 944 turbo S track car and would occasionally drive it on the street and boy did they squeal!!
I avoided HP Plus because of the squeal, but from a brake standpoint they are better nearly across the board, I also believe they produce more dust. If they didn't squeal that would be the direction I would have went since the dust didn't bother me nearly as much with the stock pads.
Sponsored

CTRHONDATA

Banned
Banned
First Name
CK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
- modified suspension for improved comfort - is that needed?!
- New for 2020 is Active Sound Control, which modifies interior sound in concert with chosen drive mode - great now some fake sound, like big brands do...
- alcantara steering - no thanks, looks nice in racing, but on the long run a mess to clean up

I wonder how much softer the new gen CTR will become.

19typeRblk

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 Porsche 944 turbo S, 1978 Porsche 911SC, 2014 Toyota Tundra
Country flag
I avoided HP Plus because of the squeal, but from a brake standpoint they are better nearly across the board, I also believe they produce more dust. If they didn't squeal that would be the direction I would have went since the dust didn't bother me nearly as much with the stock pads.
I'm only considering the HP plus because I'm taking my CTR to a HPDE for the first time at Roebling race track. I have also have to think about possible brake fluid upgrade. If the pad are too noisy for the street, I'll just put the stock ones back on.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I'm only considering the HP plus because I'm taking my CTR to a HPDE for the first time at Roebling race track. I have also have to think about possible brake fluid upgrade. If the pad are too noisy for the street, I'll just put the stock ones back on.
If you’re planning on swapping brake pads in and out, you might want to consider a track-focused pad as well. Looking at the friction coefficient (μ) with regards to temperature, the HP Plus seem to have a very good large gradient where the pads work very well. This gradient spans low and medium-high temperatures, but begins dropping off at the higher temps. To be honest, the temperature ranges the pad works in would make it a perfect pad for a Type R or similar vehicle if it wasn’t so noisy.

But if you’re planning on doing some HPDE events, especially track work, it may be worthwhile to use a more track-focused pad setup if you’re planning on swapping pads out anyways.

19typeRblk

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If you’re planning on swapping brake pads in and out, you might want to consider a track-focused pad as well. Looking at the friction coefficient (μ) with regards to temperature, the HP Plus seem to have a very good large gradient where the pads work very well. This gradient spans low and medium-high temperatures, but begins dropping off at the higher temps. To be honest, the temperature ranges the pad works in would make it a perfect pad for a Type R or similar vehicle if it wasn’t so noisy.

But if you’re planning on doing some HPDE events, especially track work, it may be worthwhile to use a more track-focused pad setup if you’re planning on swapping pads out anyways.
Well I was hoping to have my cake and eat it to
by using one pad for street and track. And only swap them if they are too load on the street.
But you are correct that I probably need brake pads for the track ( brake last, come first) so I would use the hawk DTC-60 That's what I used on my 944 Tubo S dedicated track car and they worked well. Thank you for all the very useful information.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Well I was hoping to have my cake and eat it to
by using one pad for street and track. And only swap them if they are too load on the street.
But you are correct that I probably need brake pads for the track ( brake last, come first) so I would use the hawk DTC-60 That's what I used on my 944 Tubo S dedicated track car and they worked well. Thank you for all the very useful information.
If the HP+ was quiet, then you would be able to have your cake and eat it too. You're not alone though, I wanted the same thing.

19typeRblk

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If the HP+ was quiet, then you would be able to have your cake and eat it too. You're not alone though, I wanted the same thing.
But I do love cake!! I assuming I need to run the same pads on all four corners? I'm all set to dial in 1.8 negitive chamber on the front by removing pins. I know all this is on another post
But it's all I think of when my CTR is in limbo : )

OP
OP
Boostez

Boostez

Samurai
First Name
Marlin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R; 03' Mitsubishi EVO; 2018 Polaris Slingshot SL-R
Country flag
This thread didn't age well. What's your dealership name? You should let us know so people know to ignore anything they have to say about the CTR.
Well, they was right about the 2020. I believe it will be the last 10th gen of the Type-R.
Sponsored