2020 Type R - Honda sight - disable

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
So I am trying to convince my buddy to get a Type R but he has some hesitations around the new eyesight tech. So questions for the 2020 owners -

1. Can you configure the car to have that permanently off, so each time you start the car it is disabled, similar to the rev matching options?

2. If no to 1, how difficult is it to disable, or is it an arduous process whenever you want to?

3. Are you able to adjust the setup to never alert for lane departure for instance, but keep other options 'on'?

Thanks and hope you're enjoying your cars!
Sponsored

Mature Banana

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
So I am trying to convince my buddy to get a Type R but he has some hesitations around the new eyesight tech. So questions for the 2020 owners -

1. Can you configure the car to have that permanently off, so each time you start the car it is disabled, similar to the rev matching options?

2. If no to 1, how difficult is it to disable, or is it an arduous process whenever you want to?

3. Are you able to adjust the setup to never alert for lane departure for instance, but keep other options 'on'?

Thanks and hope you're enjoying your cars!
The Honda Sensing suit in the 2020 R has five main items:

1. Collision mitigation braking system
  2. Road departure mitigation
  3. Active cruise control
  4. Lane keeping assist
  5. Auto high beams.
I donā€™t notice the first 2 but they do have to be turned off each time you start the car using buttons to the left of the steering wheel. Easy enough.

Items 3 and 4 have to be turned on by the driver each time the car starts and Item 4 feels really strange since it literally provides steering input (at speeds over 45 mph). So, not really a problem because of having to start these items each time you start the car.

Item 5 sucks in my experience in neighborhoods but seems to work well on main roads. This can be turned off by driving with headlights in the non-auto mode.

Overall, the Sensing suite is minimally intrusive and I couldnā€™t imagine anyone deciding against an R for this alone. Hope this helps.

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
Never noticed auto-high beams. Must have turned it off somehow.

As for everything else, I too have not found it obtrusive (~300 miles). Lance departure and cruise has to be turned on. And I don't mind having to turn off collision avoidance if I ever track the car. I do remember some option in settings for it, so it might be able to be disabled, not sure. Will see if I can find the options setup list I went through with the dealer.

JohnEBlaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 CW Type R
Country flag
It can all be disabled however it's more things that can break as the car ages.

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
I have to say that ACC and LKAS was pretty awesome on the 250 mile drive home from the dealer. I drove all the way through Atlanta without having to cancel ACC. It also has one of the best LKAS systems I've ever used. Keeps you dead centered in the lane. And it all auto-resumes if you shift gears. I spent some time reading the manual yesterday, Everything can be disabled. The ACC can be turned into traditional cruise control. LKAS has its own button to turn it off on the steering wheel and I believe it remembers settings from previous use. I'd recommend at least giving it a try though. it really lowers stress levels on highway drives.

MediaMaster

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR, 2024 Ford Maverick
Country flag
The Honda Sensing suit in the 2020 R has five main items:

1. Collision mitigation braking system
  2. Road departure mitigation
  3. Active cruise control
  4. Lane keeping assist
  5. Auto high beams.
I donā€™t notice the first 2 but they do have to be turned off each time you start the car using buttons to the left of the steering wheel. Easy enough.

Items 3 and 4 have to be turned on by the driver each time the car starts and Item 4 feels really strange since it literally provides steering input (at speeds over 45 mph). So, not really a problem because of having to start these items each time you start the car.

Item 5 sucks in my experience in neighborhoods but seems to work well on main roads. This can be turned off by driving with headlights in the non-auto mode.

Overall, the Sensing suite is minimally intrusive and I couldnā€™t imagine anyone deciding against an R for this alone. Hope this helps.
I had the dealer who delivered the car turn off 1-4. He did so in a series of menu steps that I noticed but didn't watch closely. As far as I know they have all remained off. I will check tomorrow to verify that they are still off.
Regular cruise control works with a push of the set button and works normally which is all I ever use. Far as I'm concerned they should outlaw ACC. I hate people following me which with this car is very difficult for them to do. (If you are looking for a friend - go find someone else.) The fewer people who are around the lesser the chance of problems.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NapalmEnema

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I had the dealer who delivered the car turn off 1-4. He did so in a series of menu steps that I noticed but didn't watch closely. As far as I know they have all remained off. I will check tomorrow to verify that they are still off.
Regular crude control works with a push of the set button and works normally which is all I ever use. Far as I'm concerned they should outlaw ACC. I hate people following me which with this car is very difficult for them to do. (If you are looking for a friend - go find someone else.) The fewer people who are around the lesser the chance of problems.
So your setup is - you have 1-4 disabled, and whenever you start the car it's just off by default?

That's what I was after - if that's possible. Thanks!

Mature Banana

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
In the loaner Civic LX and Accord Sport I had for a time (both with Sensing) auto high beams could be disabled by manually turning high beams on, then manually turning them off. Auto high beams are on when you see the blue high beam icon with an "A" inside of it, and they're off if you don't see that icon.
So your setup is - you have 1-4 disabled, and whenever you start the car it's just off by default?

That's what I was after - if that's possible. Thanks!
Likewise, would be great. Thanks @MediaMaster

MediaMaster

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Likewise, would be great. Thanks @MediaMaster
I still have the LKAS and ACC lights on the in the display. 1-2 remain off. I tested the LKAS by repeatedly driving across the yellow centerline on well marked roads with no other traffic. I also steered over the white lane lines several times with no reaction from the car.

I do remember the dealer asking me about whether or not it was ok to have the sensor give a warning and I think he was asking about the collision avoidance. I OKed the warning but did not want the firmware doing anything else. I have not detected any of the systems activating any of these features (nanny). I now have almost 800 miles on and have driven the car everyday in many different traffic situations. As far as I can tell everything remains off. I'm a firm believer in being actively involved every time I get behind the wheel so I do not want some programmer intervening.

So bottom line is turn them off as you see fit and enjoy your time in the car. They do stay off and are not disruptive.

Doublestack00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have a 2020 and wasn't sure how I'd feel about the sensing addition. But now after a road trip I love it. The car basically will drive itself on the highway and when everything is off during normal driving you don't know it's there.

OP
OP
NapalmEnema

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I still have the LKAS and ACC lights on the in the display. 1-2 remain off. I tested the LKAS by repeatedly driving across the yellow centerline on well marked roads with no other traffic. I also steered over the white lane lines several times with no reaction from the car.

I do remember the dealer asking me about whether or not it was ok to have the sensor give a warning and I think he was asking about the collision avoidance. I OKed the warning but did not want the firmware doing anything else. I have not detected any of the systems activating any of these features (nanny). I now have almost 800 miles on and have driven the car everyday in many different traffic situations. As far as I can tell everything remains off. I'm a firm believer in being actively involved every time I get behind the wheel so I do not want some programmer intervening.

So bottom line is turn them off as you see fit and enjoy your time in the car. They do stay off and are not disruptive.
Awesome thanks!

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
Came across this last might, page 93 of the owners manual has an options map that shows where the options are to control/set control these settings are. It's a pretty poorly spaced map, but its readable.

Snipereyez

First Name
Ricardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic FK7
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Guys, I'm sorry to revive this thread...
@MediaMaster do you have the CMBS orange light always on, on the dashboard?
I noticed that having CMBS ON, the brake feel and performance is reduced, as if a percentage of the brake pedal course is reserved for the CMBS actuator.
When I disable the CMBS I can brake earlier.

Does anyone else notice this?

I just really want to figure out if this is something that can be fully programmable by the dealership, or if I'll have to live with the pain of disabling it everytime i turn the car on, just like auto start stop
Thanks guys!

MediaMaster

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Guys, I'm sorry to revive this thread...
@MediaMaster do you have the CMBS orange light always on, on the dashboard?
I noticed that having CMBS ON, the brake feel and performance is reduced, as if a percentage of the brake pedal course is reserved for the CMBS actuator.
When I disable the CMBS I can brake earlier.

Does anyone else notice this?

I just really want to figure out if this is something that can be fully programmable by the dealership, or if I'll have to live with the pain of disabling it everytime i turn the car on, just like auto start stop
Thanks guys!
I do have a large correction to make in this thread. (I did forget all about it) What I had the dealer do only lasted until I turned the car off, and on that first day I didn't shut it off for over an hour :cool:. You do have to manually disable both the CMBS and RDM with each startup. The LKA and ACC remain off but are easily activated with a push of the button.

With more than 7000 miles on the car now I recommend turning off the CMBS in traffic and only using it in rural areas for deer etc. I find the RDM system mostly annoying if I'm out driving in the country so I usually turn that off and leave the CMBS on. I usually turn off the CMBS in traffic as it has nearly caused two accidents and way too many false warnings.

I just tried out the LKA system on a 2500 mile trip from the Frozen Tundra to CO and back. I works pretty well, I just don't care to fight it at times. Best used if you are traveling with not enough rest since it will help keep you aware.

Snipereyez

First Name
Ricardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic FK7
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I do have a large correction to make in this thread. (I did forget all about it) What I had the dealer do only lasted until I turned the car off, and on that first day I didn't shut it off for over an hour :cool:. You do have to manually disable both the CMBS and RDM with each startup. The LKA and ACC remain off but are easily activated with a push of the button.

With more than 7000 miles on the car now I recommend turning off the CMBS in traffic and only using it in rural areas for deer etc. I find the RDM system mostly annoying if I'm out driving in the country so I usually turn that off and leave the CMBS on. I usually turn off the CMBS in traffic as it has nearly caused two accidents and way too many false warnings.

I just tried out the LKA system on a 2500 mile trip from the Frozen Tundra to CO and back. I works pretty well, I just don't care to fight it at times. Best used if you are traveling with not enough rest since it will help keep you aware.
Right!
I've got many false alarms, and now I've noticed the brake feel difference.
Theres this bridge I have to cross under some times, and every winter, when the road is wet, it brakes very abruptly, and like many of you said, it just leaves you prone to get rear ended!
Sponsored