BlackCTR

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Well even more bad news. I can smell the pads now. Plus I can feel the parasitic drag from the wheels. It's getting worse. I knew I wasn't crazy.

Fucking dealers are idiots. And according to them their all experts. I aught to scan and add the pitiful invoice they gave me. I would be embarrassed if I was one of their technicians. I just cannot believe the incompetence. They are going to owe me calipers, rotors, pads, and whatever is damaged in the brake system by the time this is all over.

I can smell the brakes, I can see the damage on the rotors, and I can feel the parasitic drag from the wheels. They don't spin at the same rate. Can definitely feel it. I have NEVER owned a car where the pads ride the damn rotor. What kind of bullshit is that?

It would be nice if someone who actually has worked on these cars would respond. Can't find a Honda Tech that has real world experience with these. These cars are somewhat rare where I live so they don't see them often. There might be 10 in my area??

I am really starting to not enjoy my car anymore. It's really sad that this has happened. I have an appointment scheduled with a different dealer on Saturday. Hopefully I will actually get some help.

SMMFH!
Sponsored

OP
OP

BlackCTR

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I forgot to mention I can also hear them roaring as if a e-hand brake was partially engaged but car was still abale to roll like the 2000 and older civics. It has a very distinct sound and that's what it sounds like. Hard to describe exactly. But I'm sure you know what mean.

FC3L15B7

I'm a machine.
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic 2 Door Coupe Si / 1993 Chrysler Intrepid 3.5L
Country flag
I took it to Duval Honda in Jacksonville.

They tell me that the rotors have normal wear even though all 4 rotors are damaged. But it's normal.

Then I was told my Type R has Brake Drums and Brake shoes like the old cars. But you can't see it. Apparently it's invisible??? Harry Potter Brakes wtf?

My seat makes popping noises and has a loose bracket but oh that's normal too even though they can replicate it.

Unless something has changed I'm unaware of....

I mean come on dude. Fix my car and give it back to wtf.
While it's possible to have the calipers or pistons seize, the marks on the rotors do not look abnormal at all. Even the most perfectly seated brakes will make marks in the rotors like that as the brake pad material has varying hard grains of material intermixed and its pattern could literally be used forensically to link a set of pads to a given rotor. It's normal.

As far the the "drum brakes", it's possible they were thinking of parking brakes that are little brake shoes inside a tiny drum. They are probably just making an error, thinking of that park brake type that is not present on this car.

While I am not trying to dismiss your complaint, as I cannot determine if you have a seized caliper, you don't get all 4 rotors showing wear because one caliper may be stuck. You could even have 2 seized calipers, but not likely all 4 and that wear pattern on all 4 discs looks completely normal and is not specifically caused by a seized caliper.

I'd focus on whether or not a caliper is seized, not the wear marks on the rotors.

the8rotor

Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Type R
Country flag
Why don't you throw your car on your lift at your shop and investigate? You know, as a former wrencher myself, I ran into a ton of cars that had all 4 calipers seize at the same time. Like, literally, happened so often.

blackhawk867

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #21436
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
if your pads aren't retracting all the way and it's happening on all 4 wheels, then maybe it's an issue with the brake fluid? have you tried bleeding them and/or doing a fluid flush? is the brake fluid reservoir adequately filled?

OP
OP

BlackCTR

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Here's a video for all you non believers. Watch this video. I told you I was delusional or crazy. This isn't normal you can CLEARLY hear it.

Anybody got some ideas so I can tell Honda how to fix it....

Man I'm pissed. This is a safety issue no doubt.

Click tbe you tube link to access the video

VinRRR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R16017
Country flag
That sound isn’t the pad rubbing on the rotor. It’s rock getting stuck on the dust shied. I got it all the time when I was on stock tires. Remove the wheels and inspect the dust shield!

Heres a video when I heard it the first time. Exactly the same sound!

And the scratch on the lip, it can easily be a rock hitting while you’re driving. Luckily the lip is dirt cheap $200 from the dealership.

Last edited:

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
Ditto the sound does not sound like brake pad but a rock touching the rotor and dust shield. It can sound crazy like that. I've had it happen before.

Save yourself some stress and take the wheels off already and take a look. This might be resolvable immediately.

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
Never said it was brake pad making the sound ffs. If it was a rock I would hear it all the time. I heard this while rolling backwards in neutral.

I don't drive where rocks are.
A rock will bounce around and get wedged at times, you'll hear it when it's bouncing and not when it's wedged.

There are rocks everywhere.

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Never said it was brake pad making the sound ffs. If it was a rock I would hear it all the time. I heard this while rolling backwards in neutral.

I don't drive where rocks are. And everyone keeps commenting on the fact I run a shop. I run a shop and I know a lot no I don't have a damn lift or I would put it on there. We work on Tractors. Trailers, Medium duty and heavy duty trucks. We work on some cars but its not every day.

If it was a damn rock I would hear it all the time. The pads are roaring while I drive, I can smell the brakes, and I hear metal on metal noises. Something has come apart. Believe me or not I don't give a shit. My acceleration is affected and my tires are starting to wear unevenly.

I have all the symptoms of a failure of some sort. It's mechanical not electrical.

I made this post so someone could help, not fucking assume shit and criticize and bring no substance to the conversation.

And as for my voice. My mouth makes me $$$,$$$.$$ figures a year so stfu bitch.

Now if someone can actually bring some real information to help it would be greatly appreciated.
The reason everyone is up your ass is that you made this thread talking about normal rotor wear, not a total brake system failure, and then proceeded to tell everyone they're wrong and 'none of us work on these cars' even though the Type R community is probably the wrenchiest group of people I've ever seen online. You're stubborn as fuck and people don't like helping people like that. Also, literally nobody here gives a fuck about how much money you make, idk how the fuck that's a comeback to somebody commenting on your voice. Half the dudes that post on this forum make over six figures, including myself. Some of our regulars are literal millionaires.

I listened to your video very closely several times and read every one of your posts and the *exact* same thing you are describing would happen to my R randomly for a week or two at a time, four or five times since I've owned it. It's something lodged in your brakes.

And don't say 'I don't drive where rocks are'. That's probably the dumbest fucking thing I've ever heard on this forum. You must be driving on a gigantic kid's foam mat in your back yard if you don't 'drive where rocks are'.

You also would not hear it all the time. It would happen at absolute random to me - sometimes braking hard would get rid of it, sometimes it wouldn't and I'd just be coasting down the road killing everyone's ears. If your brakes themselves were broken, then you'd likely be hearing it all the time. The fact that you don't hear it all the time tells me it's just something stuck in it.

I am 99% certain what you are hearing is just a rock. And I am also 90% sure that one of your wheels is not dragging like you said, at least not in any human-noticeable amount, because it would end up tripping our passive tire pressure system or throwing a VSA code. Our ECU monitors the wheel speeds very carefully and will flip out if it detects what you're describing. A wheel has to turn slower for your car to 'pull' in one direction, and the ECU has specific mechanisms for detecting this.

Chances are, your power loss is simply just the heat. It's the summer, in most places you will have days where you randomly lose a large portion of your power. You live in Florida and apparently have had an R since 2017, so you should know by now that 'sudden loss of power' in our cars is probably the most useless thing ever for determining if there's a problem during the summer.

I was just as paranoid as you, thinking my brakes were about to come off. I ended up resurfacing my rotors and replacing the pads just because it was due, but me and my Honda tech friend thoroughly checked out the brake system and there was nothing to be found but some debris.

Now, could you have a secondary problem? Sure. But that sound is 100% something in your brakes. You have your answer. Whether or not you want to accept it is up to you. Get the fuckin thing on a lift and figure it out yourself since you're so sure everybody else is wrong even though we've all gone through the exact same thing you're describing.

Last edited:
OP
OP

BlackCTR

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
A rock will bounce around and get wedged at times, you'll hear it when it's bouncing and not when it's wedged.

There are rocks everywhere.
Ok so let's assume for a moment hypothetically speaking that it's a rock making that sound, how do you account for all the other symptoms I have described?? Why not look at the whole picture verses 1 part of it?
Sponsored