2020 Type R 2k miles Rotors are scored up on all 4 wheels

akadic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(sold) CTR 1722
Country flag
When Duval Honda wanted 20k ADM for the 2017 Black CTR they had originally, I said I would never go there again. I also never went back to the one by the Avenues mall as they wanted 10k ADM. Coggin Honda on Atlantic has been very nice to me over the past 10-15 years.

VinRRR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R16017
Country flag
It’s very obvious when the pads are rubbing on the rotors because you’ll hear “all the time”. Is that the case? Judging from the pics, they look fine. My 2018 drilled rotors looks worse actually.

OP
OP

BlackCTR

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
When Duval Honda wanted 20k ADM for the 2017 Black CTR they had originally, I said I would never go there again. I also never went back to the one by the Avenues mall as they wanted 10k ADM. Coggin Honda on Atlantic has been very nice to me over the past 10-15 years.
I'm taking it to Coggin Honda Monday. I explained the whole situation to them.

OP
OP

BlackCTR

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
It’s very obvious when the pads are rubbing on the rotors because you’ll hear “all the time”. Is that the case? Judging from the pics, they look fine. My 2018 drilled rotors looks worse actually.
Yes I hear then roaring on the highway. Because the pads are up against the rotors. It sounds horrible it also pulls to 1 side or the other and makes the car feel unsafe. This is not normal.

As I have stated I had a 2017 and those pads never rested on the rotors. When I bought my 2020 brand new they didn't rest on the rotors when driving.

Something is broken and has come apart. They are not functioning properly. They make roaring noises which is more prominent on the fronts than the rears. It looks like the pistons inside the calipers are over extended continuously.

It's an outrage. I just want my car fixed so I can safely drive it. The drivability is getting worse everytime I drive the car.

I'm crossing my fingers that Monday Coggin can put someone on my car that actually has experience with these cars.

I still can't believe their "master tech" as they called him claims I have separate brakes with a brake drum and brake shoes that you cannot see... I have never heard such bullshit in my life.

I showed the GM of the dealership and kept apologizing for his tech and for the damage on the car. I'm not through with them. I will take their asses to court if I have to. I run a damn shop for a living. I understand vehicles and how they work and I'm telling you this is not fucking normal.

I am so upset about all this. ???

the8rotor

Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Type R
Country flag
This thread hurts my head.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Yes I hear then roaring on the highway. Because the pads are up against the rotors. It sounds horrible it also pulls to 1 side or the other and makes the car feel unsafe. This is not normal.

As I have stated I had a 2017 and those pads never rested on the rotors. When I bought my 2020 brand new they didn't rest on the rotors when driving.

Something is broken and has come apart. They are not functioning properly. They make roaring noises which is more prominent on the fronts than the rears. It looks like the pistons inside the calipers are over extended continuously.

It's an outrage. I just want my car fixed so I can safely drive it. The drivability is getting worse everytime I drive the car.

I'm crossing my fingers that Monday Coggin can put someone on my car that actually has experience with these cars.

I still can't believe their "master tech" as they called him claims I have separate brakes with a brake drum and brake shoes that you cannot see... I have never heard such bullshit in my life.

I showed the GM of the dealership and kept apologizing for his tech and for the damage on the car. I'm not through with them. I will take their asses to court if I have to. I run a damn shop for a living. I understand vehicles and how they work and I'm telling you this is not fucking normal.

The sound you’re hearing is most likely a rock stick between the rock guard. It’s a common issue with a lot of these cars. It’s not a pleasant sound from what I’ve read, but is common. Once the rock or pebble dislodges itself, the sound will go away.

The “score” marks you see happen on every Civic Type R I’ve ever seen. Those actually are normal.

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
There is nothing wrong with your rotors.

alvav

First Name
Leonidas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2019 Acura NSX

But that would mean that all 4 brakes have malfunctioned in the exact same way.

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
Have you put the car on jacks and spun the wheels by hand? Have you checked the front brakes for rocks behind the rotor?

Pads will also normally appear to sit on the rotors when off the pedal. There will be an ever so slight drag if you spin by hand you can feel and hear. You don't want a gap actually. That's called pad knock back and delays the application of brakes.

Last edited:

the8rotor

Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Type R
Country flag
Have you put the car on jacks and spun the wheels by hand? Have you checked the front brakes for rocks behind the rotor?

Pads will also normally appear to sit on the rotors when off the pedal. There will be an ever so slight drag if you spin by hand you can feel and hear. You don't want a gap actually. That's called pad knock back and delays the application of brakes.
He owns a shop bro... ?

fk-eight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP CTR R-35355/ 2021 SGP Accord Touring
Country flag
Ive has 27 cars, and Ive never owned a car that the pads didn't ride on the rotors. If they didn't ride the rotors, there would be a 1/16th of an inch of pedal play, before the pads even hit the rotors.

batman900

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type-R 2020 4Runner 2019 Camry 2011 Accord
Country flag
I get that these cars have minor rotor wear. But It looks much worse in person. Something has literally "CUT" into the rotors. All 4 rotors are identical. You can feel the grooves in it. This is not superficial.

On top of everything else they damaged my $2500 ceramic coat and my bumper. This place has been an absolute nightmare.

I understand what everyone is saying but the rotors should not have this type of damaged. They are damaged not just general wear

20200626_134354.jpg

20200626_134350.jpg
I'd be more concerned about this than the brakes. Did they drop a dang wrench on it or something?

Deane

First Name
Deane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ariel Atom 3S
Country flag
As far as the dealer telling you have drum brakes on the rear...for the love of god go to another dealer cause that is concerning.
Is it possible that you have a small drum brake on the rear just for the parking brake? That is common in many disc brake cars. My CRV had it.
Sponsored