First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
you guys are getting free soda?

I do understand and that's why I still responded to help you, because generally speaking 'it's fine' is the last thing you want to hear about your brakes going crazy. Like I said, I was paranoid too. Just never ever repeat these words: 'can someone who actually works on these cars', cause frankly most of us know a million times more than any Honda tech would - dealerships don't see these more than a few times a month, if that.

It's full well possible something else broke in there and is making the signature 'rock in the shield' noise. We never said it wasn't possible, just that the things you're looking at are red herrings. Your rotors look fine and it's unlikely to be the pads themselves dragging.

Those springs Charles is talking about could have also malfunctioned somehow, albeit extremely unlikely, but I have never heard of it. Maybe a dealership put them back on wrong or forgot them entirely. The ones in the front are really easy to take off and inspect yourself with common tools and a jack.

If it's more than one or two wheels though, you have to step back and think about what connects those since it's highly unlikely they failed at the same time. It's not much - the brake fluid. Or, potentially, someone working on your car not putting things back correctly.

How do you know it's more than one wheel, by the way? The sounds this shit makes is almost impossible to determine the location of without a second person outside the car, and even then it's difficult.
The reason why I say it's all 4 wheels is because all 4 wheels have the exact same symptoms. The rotors are dug into. I know it's hard to see in the pictures but it's not superficial like expected wear would be. The grooves are identical on all 4 rotors. I mean come on rocks in every single brake shield??? Cuts in rotors. That just seems highly unlikely to me.

The pads aren't just up against the rotor they are partially engaged and pressing on the rotors.

You would understand what I'm saying if you could see it in person.
Sponsored

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Also keep in mind that the service advisor might not know anything about cars beyond the basics, and only act as middle men to the mechanics. Their purpose is largely to sell air filters to people who don't know better.
Yeah, I had an advisor try to tell me my Type R needed a more expensive alignment because unlike every other Honda we have adjustable toe, camber, and caster. Only problem is, we don't.

Generally speaking, the only person at a Honda dealership that is gonna know a fuckin' thing about this car is someone that owns it. They sell a few a year, and work on one in a blue moon. There is no special Type R class all these dudes took when the car came out, they just read the manual like anyone else. That same manual is posted on these forums.

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
The reason why I say it's all 4 wheels is because all 4 wheels have the exact same symptoms. The rotors are dug into. I know it's hard to see in the pictures but it's not superficial like expected wear would be. The grooves are identical on all 4 rotors. I mean come on rocks in every single brake shield??? Cuts in rotors. That just seems highly unlikely to me.

The pads aren't just up against the rotor they are partially engaged and pressing on the rotors.

I agree that it looks like the pad backing is digging into the edge of the rotor, but the only way to know for sure is to take it off and look. Until then :dunno:

Last edited:

kefi

Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag

These things are hard to tell over the internet. I also had slightly scratched rotors. I went and got it resurfaced and walked away with even worse rotors.

The pads being directly against the rotor is normal though, that's not really 'engaged'. The amount of force being put against those rotors while you're 'disengaged' is like a feather compared to a stomping dinosaur when you're engaging the brakes. You can't tell how hard it's engaged though, so it's possible that they are indeed over-engaged. That would lead me back to the brake fluid.

How deep of scratches are we talking here? Can you actually pick at it with your fingernail or is it just visually scratched?

What do you mean the 'grooves' are identical on all four rotors? Do you mean there are identical cuts too? Perhaps you're referring to how the rotors have a slightly wavy surface?

OP
OP

BlackCTR

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You can definitely feel the cuts with your finger nails.

Just went to the bank to make a deposit and now I have a new symptom.

The brakes are grabbing randomly as if the Collison Mitigation System is randomly activating(I always turn this off I hate it).

Every trip its worse.

kefi

Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
You can definitely feel the cuts with your finger nails.

Just went to the bank to make a deposit and now I have a new symptom.

The brakes are grabbing randomly as if the Collison Mitigation System is randomly activating(I always turn this off I hate it).

Every trip its worse.
Yep, rocks will do that too.

I'm kidding. Alright, fuck what anyone said, if your brakes are engaging themselves you've got a serious problem somewhere. Sounds like ABS pumping when it's not supposed to be or the vectoring system going haywire. I would recommend not driving it and telling the dealership what just happened. Maybe it's something new in the 2020.

Does it grab when you're applying or just randomly with no rhyme or reason? What speed was this happening at? Were you taking a turn? Any noise with it?

kefi

Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
That's actually pretty fuckin' serious if his brakes are truly activating themselves or somehow otherwise grabbing. I want to hear about this, because it's possible there's some new 2020 defect we don't know about yet. Especially with how most of the 2020 modifications were to the suspension system and the computers that selectively brake to apply high-speed cornering assist.

OP
OP

BlackCTR

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have an invoice from the dealership stating that my car passed the multi point inspection and everything is fine and blah blah blah. So if something happens it's on them. They will pay for this car 10 times over by the time I'm through with them, especially if something catastrophic happens or worse.

This happened on an incline and it jerked grabbed and released the brakes. It was at 1-2 mph or less. But now that I'm thinking about it I believe this has happened on the road at varying speeds but isn't near as noticeable as what just happened. Hmmm.

It has to be ABS, Collison Mitigation System, or Traction Control malfunctioning.

That is my hypothesis for the moment. But it is clearly something mechanical because I have zero check engine lights or warnings.

kefi

Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Sure, you can hear about it and try to help resolve. But I’m saying if there are so many issues and the car is becoming such an issue to drive, maybe it’s time to stop driving it before it possibly fails worse and he hurts the car, or they malfunction and cause a wreck if it’s truly not a rock.
Oh yeah 100% dude, absolutely get that fucker to the dealership right now. I just meant I'd like for him to keep us updated even if he doesn't need our help anymore.

I have an invoice from the dealership stating that my car passed the multi point inspection and everything is fine and blah blah blah. So if something happens it's on them. They will pay for this car 10 times over by the time I'm through with them, especially if something catastrophic happens or worse.

This happened on an incline and it jerked grabbed and released the brakes. It was at 1-2 mph or less. But now that I'm thinking about it I believe this has happened on the road at varying speeds but isn't near as noticeable as what just happened. Hmmm.

It has to be ABS, Collison Mitigation System, or Traction Control malfunctioning.

That is my hypothesis for the moment. But it is clearly something mechanical because I have zero check engine lights or warnings.
This is a long shot, but you weren't at a stop, right? I.e. you started accelerating, felt it tug, and then off you went? There's hill assist in these cars. I imagine you know that already though.

At such a low speed it's possible you've got something chonky in there that could do that, but idk.

One way or the other dude, get that shit off the road. Your insurance might cover it but your insurance won't mean shit when you're dead or you T-boned a family because something jammed before a red light.

I'm starting to think this is some weirdness with the 2020 CMS, but you're gonna be in for one hell of a ride if that's what it is. If you're going to continue driving it (don't), get a dashcam and put it behind you facing forward. You'll need to prove it.

av31094

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey, just chiming in my $.02 , i believe something might be off most definitely, the 2020 type Rs now come with all the safety features as the tourings would, im sure you know this, those systems tend to be very touchy, per Honda service manual (that i no longer have access to), everytime a bumper/ or windshield is removed, the cmbs/ multipurpose camera /radar in the bumper, must be recalibrated/ reaimed, Has your bumper ever been off , by you or at a dealer? if so then this might be the issue at hand.

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
He mentioned ceramic coat... The shop didn't ceramic coat the sensors did they? They went through the trouble of ceramic coating the lip which imo isn't even necessary.. it's not painted.

av31094

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
He mentioned ceramic coat... The shop didn't ceramic coat the sensors did they? They went through the trouble of ceramic coating the lip which imo isn't even necessary.. it's not painted.
^^^

av31094

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
get the cover that goes over radar replaced.. and re check

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
get the cover that goes over radar replaced.. and re check
If it was the CMBS it would flash on the dash when applying the breaks, along with some beeping noise

kefi

Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Yeah, while the theory of coating the sensors is a good one, every single thing that can affect your brakes normally also has an associated flashing light with it when it activates. Traction control, ABS, CMBS, they all have a light. The only thing that doesn't is the high speed cornering assist, and that doesn't come on until something like 70mph if I recall?
Sponsored