2020 Si vs 2017 Si

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
I own a 2017 Si, bought brand new in August of 2017 (26,000-ish miles on the clock as of today).

I stopped by a Honda dealership today because of a plastic piece in the interior I needed them to take care of, and thought why not check out a 2020 Si while I am here.

I found a beautiful red one with 16 miles on the clock and took it for a spin. Here is my comparison between the 2020 and 2017..

Pros:

Speed: Yes, it feels faster no doubt about it. Now, is it a world of difference? No but I definitely noticed a difference especially off the line. It felt about a .2 to .3 seconds to 60mph different to me.

Quality: It felt more buttoned down, ironed out one might say. My 2017 Si makes this weird cluncking noise during stop and go or even when shifting and has done so since day one (I drove another 2018 and it did the same), the 2020 Si I drove felt much more refined and solid. Honda definitely ironed out some things over the years.

Headlights: Wow I could see Russia from my backyard, that's how well lit everything was. And man does it look good on the Si.

Cons:

Clutch: First thing I noticed right off the bat is how light the clutch felt compared to my 2017 Si. It is very noticeable, my 1 year old nephew could push it down with his pinky. Not sure what Honda did or if they did anything at all, could possibly just be it has'nt broken in yet :dunno:

Design: Now this is subjective I know, but I really really really think the 2017-2019 Si's look the best hands down. From the silver with black polish wheels to the grey interior seat fabric instead of the red on the 2020, it is just a better looking Sport Sedan/Coupe. I also much prefer the large honeycomb plastics on the back and front as opposed to the smaller ones with the body colored inserts on the redesign. To me the redesign 2020 just looks tacked on because obviously it wasnt the way it was originally meant to be designed and the engineers only had so much to work with to quiet the criticism.

Sound: I didnt like it, it sounded soo fake and computerized. I honestly thought I would like it, and actually wished my Si had it after watching multiple reviews but after experiencing it in person, I'm okay without it. I will say though it does help with shifting and rev-matching as you can hear what the rpm is actually doing.

So after my test drive I left even more assured that I wasn't parting with my 2017 Si anytime soon. Even though the 2020 Si is still damn good, I prefer the way my 2017 looks, I prefer the way my 2017 sounds, and I prefer the way my clutch feels and engages. The pros of the 2020 over my 2017 have already been taken care of with aftermarket (LED's and Hondata). My decision became even more solidified when the dealer first offered me $16,000 for my 2017 Si, I laughed and he realized how stupid the deal was and quickly upped it to $18,000. Still, the only way I was leaving with a 2020 Si was if he handed me the keys for free.

View attachment 188511

Honda Civic 10th gen 2020 Si vs 2017 Si 20191209_170714~2
Sponsored

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
Last edited:

Jeffers

First Name
Jeffers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe purchased on 11-24-19
Country flag
I own a 2017 Si, bought brand new in August of 2017 (26,000-ish miles on the clock as of today).

I stopped by a Honda dealership today because of a plastic piece in the interior I needed them to take care of, and thought why not check out a 2020 Si while I am here.

I found a beautiful red one with 16 miles on the clock and took it for a spin. Here is my comparison between the 2020 and 2017..

Pros:

Speed: Yes, it feels faster no doubt about it. Now, is it a world of difference? No but I definitely noticed a difference especially off the line. It felt about a .2 to .3 seconds to 60mph different to me.

Quality: It felt more buttoned down, ironed out one might say. My 2017 Si makes this weird cluncking noise during stop and go or even when shifting and has done so since day one (I drove another 2018 and it did the same), the 2020 Si I drove felt much more refined and solid. Honda definitely ironed out some things over the years.

Headlights: Wow I could see Russia from my backyard, that's how well lit everything was. And man does it look good on the Si.

Cons:

Clutch: First thing I noticed right off the bat is how light the clutch felt compared to my 2017 Si. It is very noticeable, my 1 year old nephew could push it down with his pinky. Not sure what Honda did or if they did anything at all, could possibly just be it has'nt broken in yet :dunno:

Design: Now this is subjective I know, but I really really really think the 2017-2019 Si's look the best hands down. From the silver with black polish wheels to the grey interior seat fabric instead of the red on the 2020, it is just a better looking Sport Sedan/Coupe. I also much prefer the large honeycomb plastics on the back and front as opposed to the smaller ones with the body colored inserts on the redesign. To me the redesign 2020 just looks tacked on because obviously it wasnt the way it was originally meant to be designed and the engineers only had so much to work with to quiet the criticism.

Sound: I didnt like it, it sounded soo fake and computerized. I honestly thought I would like it, and actually wished my Si had it after watching multiple reviews but after experiencing it in person, I'm okay without it. I will say though it does help with shifting and rev-matching as you can hear what the rpm is actually doing.

So after my test drive I left even more assured that I wasn't parting with my 2017 Si anytime soon. Even though the 2020 Si is still damn good, I prefer the way my 2017 looks, I prefer the way my 2017 sounds, and I prefer the way my clutch feels and engages. The pros of the 2020 over my 2017 have already been taken care of with aftermarket (LED's and Hondata). My decision became even more solidified when the dealer first offered me $16,000 for my 2017 Si, I laughed and he realized how stupid the deal was and quickly upped it to $18,000. Still, the only way I was leaving with a 2020 Si was if he handed me the keys for free.

View attachment 188511

20191209_170714~2.jpg
Thanks for the unbiased review / comparison!

blackie X

First Name
tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag

Pros:

Cons:

View attachment 188511

20191209_170714~2.jpg
i agree the look of the fake vents on the new 2020s just doesnt do it for me, looks like something a teenage girl would add to her car for a pop of color.

Jes_si562

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si. 1990 Honda civic w d16z6 swap (sold) 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback sport(wifes)
Country flag
I like the new rear vent I'm thinking of getting it for my 18
i agree the look of the fake vents on the new 2020s just doesnt do it for me, looks like something a teenage girl would add to her car for a pop of color.

MaTtKs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I like the new rear vent I'm thinking of getting it for my 18
Agreed. I also just realized after looking at the photo OP posted that the coupe and sedan are different. The sedan was never on my radar so haven’t paid much attention to that. :coffee:

Last edited:

Siiick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 GT500, 20 Bolt EV, 19 Z06
Country flag
I have never driven the 2017 so my opinion doesn't really mean squat but I would find it hard to believe there is that much of a difference between the two. I think for someone who already owns a 17/18/19 Si, it wouldn't make much sense to trade up.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
You did the right thing, you already have a great car. You have or almost have 3 years of car payments...why add 5 more years and take a financial hit? Trading up an almost 3 year old car doesn't make financial sense. Your happy with it, drive the baby to the ground!

OP
OP
xbbnx

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
You did the right thing, you already have a great car. You have or almost have 3 years of car payments...why add 5 more years and take a financial hit? Trading up an almost 3 year old car doesn't make financial sense. Your happy with it, drive the baby to the ground!
It's actually paid off lol

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag

icemansi

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan, 2009 Fit Sport
Country flag

Pros:

Cons:

View attachment 188511

20191209_170714~2.jpg
The leds on the 2020 are bright; but I prefer the look of the 17-19 headlight with some aftermarket led way better. My own opinion though

shibles

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honestly also like the old vents. If you cut out the spaces and move some stuff around they seem like they'd make perfect spots for an oil cooler on one side and an extra radiator on the other. Haven't tried it yet but just some ideas I had for giving the vents a purpose

EdwarDallas

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
I have a 2020 and the LED headlights are incredibly bright. I get flashed a lot just driving around at night with the low beams on because people think I have my high-beams on.

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
I also have the 17 Si sedan, purchased around the same time. About 10k Miles more than yours. Dealers have been calling with the "high demand for your car, top dollar for your trade". I ask if they are going to be able to give me the same 10 year unlimited mile coverage Honda has already extended, and not increase the amount I owe on my financing. They say the new model is updated, issues are resolved, and promise a lower monthly payment. But I am already past the first two years of depreciation. I have Hondata and Ktuner. I have HondaHack. My lights are swapped for LED. Very happy with the car I have.

si_well

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
I have a 2020 and the LED headlights are incredibly bright. I get flashed a lot just driving around at night with the low beams on because people think I have my high-beams on.
YO, SAME. I always used to be that guy who would get mad at people with LED headlights. Now I'm one of those people driving around blinding the world, but I do love having them. If you can't beat them then join them, amirite?

Honda Civic 10th gen 2020 Si vs 2017 Si dwight

A2typeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si sedan (TSP stage 1) 2016 Mazda Miata Club (Brembo BBS pack)
Country flag
It's actually paid off lol
then you made the wrong decision...

As a Patriotic American who likes Japanese Products tho must have at least one car payment!

But seriously it sounds like I should have crashed my GTI this year instead of last and I would be in a ‘20 over a ‘19...
Sponsored