Conika

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
Great thread! Thanks for taking the time to write this up for the rest of us.

I'm looking to do this to my Si coupe. Do you drive a coupe or sedan? Is the stereo setup different between the two?

I'm a total newb with sound systems. Is this something a complete beginner can do or will I be in over my head?

Thanks.
The most difficult thing about this whole process is removing the back panel on the rear to access the speakers. From what I understand the sedan and the coup stereo set up are exactly the same.

here is what I would do, search on YouTube for how to remove the panels for the doors and the trunk. Then decide if it’s something you want to tackle. I’m nobody special and I Did it.
Sponsored

rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 sr5 access cab, 98 civic hx ej7, 2003 KLX400s
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
nice writeup gonna save this for later for when i decide to do a sub all my speakers in the doors tweaters and center speakers have been swapped out already just need the last bit done and it should be way better

OsirisPalko

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
Just trying to make a shopping list, for the sedan I would need 6x (or three pairs) of the Kicker 46CSC654 speakers?

OP
OP
Conika

Conika

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
Just trying to make a shopping list, for the sedan I would need 6x (or three pairs) of the Kicker 46CSC654 speakers?
Im pretty sure these only have 4 speakers. So you would need two sets. Two in the front doors, and two in the rear deck.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
Just checked, no rear door speakers. Huh...
The hatch has rear door speakers plus one satellite in each c pillar. Sedans/coupes only have rear spks. But I think it is a waste to upgrade the rear deck spks as there isn't much sound routed to them. Put the fader all the way to the rear and take a listen.

OsirisPalko

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
Thanks for the input. Just grabbed a single pair for the door speakers, and a pair for the center dash speaker for now.

BTW the amp you linked is sold out - is there a different one you would recommend if I was to just put a sub and maybe OK rear deck speakers attached to it?

OP
OP
Conika

Conika

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
Thanks for the input. Just grabbed a single pair for the door speakers, and a pair for the center dash speaker for now.

BTW the amp you linked is sold out - is there a different one you would recommend if I was to just put a sub and maybe OK rear deck speakers attached to it?
Do you plan on using the OEM location for your sub? Like a single 8 inch, or are you planning on putting a box in your trunk?
Tbh the dudes are crutchfield can point you in the right direction for a amp/sub that will match up.

OsirisPalko

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
Do you plan on using the OEM location for your sub? Like a single 8 inch, or are you planning on putting a box in your trunk?
Tbh the dudes are crutchfield can point you in the right direction for a amp/sub that will match up.
I have an 8" bazooka laying around, which is 150w / 8ohm. Does that equate to 300w 4ohm? Or is that not how this works?

On a side note, I installed the front door speakers and center dash, left the sub stock. Not sure how i'm liking it, I might go back to OEM speakers to be honest. I know that an amp upgrade would be the most beneficial, but maybe the 2017 oem speakers are different than the 2020 oem speakers?

More listening must be conducted before I come to a conclusion, though.

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for your findings as I'm in the same situation right now. Even with viper audio + honda hack, I'm starting to want more from the Si's audio system. Your set up is exactly what I'm looking for without it being too invasive.

This also gives me a chance to remove the rear deck and see if I can tackle the annoying rattling from the subwoofer.

OP
OP
Conika

Conika

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
I have an 8" bazooka laying around, which is 150w / 8ohm. Does that equate to 300w 4ohm? Or is that not how this works?

On a side note, I installed the front door speakers and center dash, left the sub stock. Not sure how i'm liking it, I might go back to OEM speakers to be honest. I know that an amp upgrade would be the most beneficial, but maybe the 2017 oem speakers are different than the 2020 oem speakers?

More listening must be conducted before I come to a conclusion, though.
So for your speakers to fully break in its going to take many hours of play time before they are at their true tone. The speakers sound different now than they did when i installed them. Still better than stock, but more full than when i first put them in.

Im not exactly sure how the power will line up with the OEM amp because I don't know what the OEM amp is putting thru to the OEM sub. Im sure if you dig around enough you can find that information but Personally I would just get a power sub, or a small AMP to power that sub you have. The main thing will be does it fit in that OEM stock location. It may be 8 inches around, but how high does it sit against the plastic rear panel ya know?

Give your speakers some time. Like 20-40 hours of play time before they get broken in, sound baffles are also a MAJOR upgrade as well. They keep the sound from bouncing around in your doors.

Personally all I did was change the speakers in the doors, rear and front center dash, put sound baffles on each speaker, put a small amount of door sound deadening inside the doors, change the sub, and added a single mono amp for the sub. I am still running the stock AMP for all the door speakers and i LOVE the way my car sounds.

OsirisPalko

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
So for your speakers to fully break in its going to take many hours of play time before they are at their true tone. The speakers sound different now than they did when i installed them. Still better than stock, but more full than when i first put them in.

Im not exactly sure how the power will line up with the OEM amp because I don't know what the OEM amp is putting thru to the OEM sub. Im sure if you dig around enough you can find that information but Personally I would just get a power sub, or a small AMP to power that sub you have. The main thing will be does it fit in that OEM stock location. It may be 8 inches around, but how high does it sit against the plastic rear panel ya know?

Give your speakers some time. Like 20-40 hours of play time before they get broken in, sound baffles are also a MAJOR upgrade as well. They keep the sound from bouncing around in your doors.

Personally all I did was change the speakers in the doors, rear and front center dash, put sound baffles on each speaker, put a small amount of door sound deadening inside the doors, change the sub, and added a single mono amp for the sub. I am still running the stock AMP for all the door speakers and i LOVE the way my car sounds.
The bazooka just gets strapped to the trunk its weird tbh..

Yeah, after more seat time, but more importantly after adjusting the EQ settings they sound better, happy with them now

OP
OP
Conika

Conika

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
The bazooka just gets strapped to the trunk its weird tbh..

Yeah, after more seat time, but more importantly after adjusting the EQ settings they sound better, happy with them now
So if its a powered sub then I would connect it to front speakers and pull the signal from there. Apparently that is where the best cross over signal is going to be for bass. You could try tapping into the existing sub for a signal and try that but I have heard that is hit or miss depending on the subs power output. Personally mine is plugged right into the OEM sub signal and it sounds great.
Sponsored