2020 Si Full Audio Rework

ewplayer3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda CRV Ex
Country flag
Hey all.... Looking for some detailed information and hoping someone here might have it so I don't have to go drag the oscilloscope out to my car. I'm looking at upgrading the speakers all the way around in my 2020 Civic Si Sedan. I know the front doors have woofers and tweeters and it looks like the rear deck is set up the same way. Here's the information I'm looking for:

1) Wiring harness diagram so I can splice in a high to low level converter
2) Whether or not the stock components have hidden crossovers for the woofers and tweeters or if each speaker simply has inductors/capacitors wired directly to them for frequency filtering. That will determine how I wire up the new speakers.
Sponsored

SiLee207

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si
Country flag
I can’t give you the exact specifics. But I did a bunch of research and replaced every speaker myself. Plus deadened/soundproofing, and Polk 6052’s.. not the best but I still spent several hundred dollars. It made very little difference.
I invested in an amp/DSP and sounds amazing now.
Keep an eye out on eBay For a good deal on an Audison DSP.

OP
OP

ewplayer3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda CRV Ex
Country flag
I can’t give you the exact specifics. But I did a bunch of research and replaced every speaker myself. Plus deadened/soundproofing, and Polk 6052’s.. not the best but I still spent several hundred dollars. It made very little difference.
I invested in an amp/DSP and sounds amazing now.
Keep an eye out on eBay For a good deal on an Audison DSP.
Well... that's a little disheartening to hear. I was hoping a speaker upgrade and some sound deadening would be sufficient. I'll look in to Audison, but I think I'll just be doing some research on DSPs in general.

SiLee207

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si
Country flag
Well... that's a little disheartening to hear. I was hoping a speaker upgrade and some sound deadening would be sufficient. I'll look in to Audison, but I think I'll just be doing some research on DSPs in general.
I highly suggest doing a lot of research. Honda has made the system extremely complicated for the average user to upgrade.. Especially if you have a decent ear for music.
You’ll hear other brands suggested. But I think you’ll find that Audison has it locked down when it comes to a DSP integrating with a factory system.
1 unit summs the combined frequencies from multiple points, de-equalizes for a flat signal. Then gives you full control over each channel with multi point equalization and automatic time alignment.
I bought an amp/DSP combo in one. But if I was to do it over I would do some more research. By a used standalone DSP then find a multi channel amp to supply power separate. Then find an installer that is capable of tuning.
I did install all my own speakers and sound deadening/soundproofing.
all that being said, it is by far the best sounding system I have ever had.
Join the caraudio.com forums

Snmtazz70

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
500HP 2019 Honda Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I have a Type R did an Audiocontrol DSP off of factory amp into a 5 channel amp to upgraded Moral speakers and a sub. I left the factory amp so I don't lose features like GPS in case I ever use it. Some take the signal off the radio itself, I don't think it matters if you have a DSP.

Sounds great!

jimmyreal

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic Si sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I highly suggest doing a lot of research. Honda has made the system extremely complicated for the average user to upgrade.. Especially if you have a decent ear for music.
I think you’ll find that Audison has it locked down when it comes to a DSP integrating with a factory system.

By a used standalone DSP then find a multi channel amp to supply power separate.
I’m not seeing a stand-alone DSP on their website. I’ve been looking for what you’re talking about, a DSP that takes all the signal, flattens it, then sends it to amps, but not really finding one I like.

I have a preference for DSS Sabre DAC chips but I’ve not been able to find anything that looks like it’ll actually pass-thru from the source like Tidal.

It’s somewhat pointless to me to drop $$$ if the digital signal is going to already be badly converted before if ever hits the amp.

OP
OP

ewplayer3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda CRV Ex
Country flag
I have a Type R did an Audiocontrol DSP off of factory amp into a 5 channel amp to upgraded Moral speakers and a sub. I left the factory amp so I don't lose features like GPS in case I ever use it. Some take the signal off the radio itself, I don't think it matters if you have a DSP.

Sounds great!
I have to ask.... what did you do about the center channel speaker in the front? I assume the 5 channel amp was 4 channels + sub...

Conika

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
Check out my sound upgrade post Here it wasn’t very expensive or time consuming and it made a HUGE difference over the stock sound.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
Upgrading the front speakers offers the best bang for the buck, IMO. The stock fronts are very muddy and very echoey, however, they're pretty efficient already so putting in a good set of fronts will make the sound much more clear but not much louder. Don't even bother with the rear components because not much music goes to them so just set the fader 2 or 3 notches towards the front. Might also want to replace the center with a less efficient one to cut down on the center output.

I replaced the fronts with a set of Focal K2 Power and boosted the volume output and the SQ and volume level are 90+% there with a aftermarket DSP/AMP solution and am totally happy.

This thread has lots of info
https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/2018-premium-audio-system.33835/

Last edited:

OP
OP

ewplayer3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda CRV Ex
Country flag
Upgrading the front speakers offers the best bang for the buck, IMO. The stock fronts are very muddy and very echoey, however, they're pretty efficient already so putting in a good set of fronts will make the sound much more clear but not much louder. Don't even bother with the rear components because not much music goes to them so just set the fader 2 or 3 notches towards the front. Might also want to replace the center with a less efficient one to cut down on the center output.

I replaced the fronts with a set of Focal K2 Power and boosted the volume output and the SQ and volume level are 90+% there with a aftermarket DSP/AMP solution and am totally happy.

This thread has lots of info
https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/2018-premium-audio-system.33835/
Holy heck. That's an excellent link and tells me a lot of what I wanted to know. It looks like the stock amp is a combined DSP and crossover system of its own. That's going to make this venture difficult. Thanks for using a proprietary digital linking system from the HU to the Amp, Honda.

Has anyone had any success in bypassing the stock amp? Or, has anyone attempted to take apart and modify the amp to get a more uniform frequency response?

Snmtazz70

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
500HP 2019 Honda Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Upgraded the center speaker but left on stock power very small speaker. Factory amp does that that's why I fed off of it into a real DSP.

SiLee207

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si
Country flag
I’m not seeing a stand-alone DSP on their website. I’ve been looking for what you’re talking about, a DSP that takes all the signal, flattens it, then sends it to amps, but not really finding one I like.

I have a preference for DSS Sabre DAC chips but I’ve not been able to find anything that looks like it’ll actually pass-thru from the source like Tidal.

It’s somewhat pointless to me to drop $$$ if the digital signal is going to already be badly converted before if ever hits the amp.
https://www.audison.eu/products/bit-ten/
This is one of the cheaper options. Pretty sure I’ve seen them on eBay for under 200 used.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
Holy heck. That's an excellent link and tells me a lot of what I wanted to know. It looks like the stock amp is a combined DSP and crossover system of its own. That's going to make this venture difficult. Thanks for using a proprietary digital linking system from the HU to the Amp, Honda.

Has anyone had any success in bypassing the stock amp? Or, has anyone attempted to take apart and modify the amp to get a more uniform frequency response?
The OP of the thread I linked to tested the SPIDF signal with a cheap decoder and said it didn't work. But then there was one member here whom wrote gibberish about it being standard SPDIF and as best I can understand from his post, he said the AMP can take a standard SPDIF signal, but nothing about if the SPIDF output from the HU was standard or not, but he could also be saying the HU SPDIF output is standard.

The only success with completely bypass the stock amp is this https://www.civicx.com/forum/thread...-speaker-audio-of-sport-touring-type-r.52248/. But only one guy did a review of it and found the Bluetooth Hands Free link had really bad echoing problem.

And there's a guy in this thread https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/premium-amplifier-out-wiring-harness.43631/ that will mod (destroy??? lol..) your amp for $260 plus shipping. Not sure if I get what he's trying to do. The way I read his post is he's bringing out the low level from the preamp, but isn't the preamp after the DSP? So that's useless no? I'm not sure.

But if you want to TOFTT and try to see if you can decode the SPDIF, you can buy one of these Antenna Adapter and remove the square plastic housing and you'll get the round connector and wiring that will mate with the stock SPDIF connector to the amp.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2020 Si Full Audio Rework 1603246633698

Last edited:

himynameisaaron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Pearl White Honda Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
I upgraded every speaker in my 18 Si coupe (except the rear deck tweeters/"subwoofer") and to be honest it didn't make a big difference. The amp is too underpowered and the built in DSP makes upgrading just the speakers kind of pointless.
Sponsored