2020 Si Engine Splash Shield Questions

Oog61

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si
Country flag
I bought a used ‘20 Si coupe last May; my first Honda after driving mostly Toyotas and Subarus for 50 years. The first time I changed the oil, I noticed the engine splash shield was just a plastic cover and was a bit surprised there wasn’t a metal skid plate under there given the low ground clearance. Recently I hit something and sheared off and lost the plastic cover.
I’ve become confused in looking for a replacement. I’ve seen references to metal plates; are those after market parts or did this car come with a skid plate that was missing on mine when I bought it? I’ve seen splash shields for 2020 Civics but can’t ascertain if one size fits all 2020 models, body types, and engines, or if there’s a specific one for the Si coupe. Does anyone know where I can buy one besides through a Honda dealer? Is it absolutely necessary to have the splash guard on there or can I go without it? I don’t have to deal with snow or ice. Any insight is greatly appreciated. Thx in advance.
Sponsored

fabrizzio71

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Coupe White Orchid Pearl
Country flag

SethNES

Banned
Banned
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Here is the part:

https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine/honda~cover~assy~eng~un~74110-tba-a00.html

Yes there is an aluminum shield that covers the bottom of the car. It connects to the larger plastic piece, and it is all one unit from Honda. I would just replace with OEM.
This is a good price for that part. Shipping cost probably sucks. You can get just the metal piece if you order the part number for the Type R (same part, but Type R PN allows you to just order the metal tray ... quirk in the Honda parts catalog, maybe because CTR is raced, IDK). Honda 74114-TGH-A00. But it looks like out of stock, at least on Honda Parts Now and currently not cheaper than the entire assembly. At one time you could get just the metal tray for like $40. Might search around.

KensBlueGenX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 1.5l MT HB Sport
Country flag
Personal opinion - forgetaboutit.

I've yet to hear any real purpose (other than maybe a bit cleaner bottom of your engine/transmission) they serve.

si-ck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
I bought mine used and it didn’t have one either. Car is lowered, had crazy scrapes but haven’t had issues

SethNES

Banned
Banned
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Yea it doesnt do shit but fall off apparently

scottgas

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe, 2007 Nissan Xterra SE, 2008 Hyundai Tiburon SE, 1996 Nissan 300ZX N/A
Country flag
Worse thing about it is having to remove it to change the oil unless I am missing some oil change tips.

On the other hand, I like that after market one.

borcth

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Welcome to the worst part on the civic. No, you don't need skid plate and my 05 civic didn't even have one.

I lost mine on toll road bump and haven't replaced yet. I got this which is way better than oem crap and has bay doors but I still gotta buy the black plastic piece that it screws into since it's all busted from when skid plate dropped at 90+.

https://www.baddannlv.com/product-page/test-civic-15-21-skid-plate-si-type-r-coupe-sport-sedan
I gotta disagree. My car unbeknownst to me did not come with one - certified used - HAH!. I noticed I had this really scary floatiness to the car at speeds nearing 80mph. I had no idea why till one day I took a flash light and shined down into the bay only seeing the bare asphalt. I was gonna get the oem and realized they're trash and it's just gonna get ripped off again and was expensive for what you got. So I got an aftermarket one, made of aluminum and has service ports by a company called BAA Skid Plates. I bought it, installed it and sure enough, the floaty and unpredictive feeling nearing 80mph was totally gone.

So what happens is positive pressure that builds up underneath the car, pushing it up and creating a floating feeling. Hard to control and predict. Dangerous actually. With the plate now there, there is no positive air pressure building up, pushing the car up. The car is now planted and solid.

Zero issues since it being installed.

Last edited:

casper

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Sport Hatchback (6MT)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I gotta disagree. My car unbeknownst to me my car did not come with one - certified used - HAH!. I noticed I had this really scary floatiness to the car at speeds nearing 80mph. I had no idea why till one day I took a flash light and shined down into the bay only seeing the bare asphalt. I was gonna get the oem and realized they're trash and it's just gonna get ripped off again and was expensive for what you got. So I got an aftermarket one, made of aluminum and has service ports by a company called BAA Skid Plates. I bought it, installed it and sure enough, the floaty and unpredictive feeling nearing 80mph was totally gone.

So what happens is positive pressure that builds up underneath the car, pushing it up and creating a floating feeling. Hard to control and predict. Dangerous actually. With the plate now there, there is no positive air pressure building up, pushing the car up. The car is now planted and solid.

Zero issues since it being installed.
That’s interesting… can anyone here run an aerodynamic model to simulate the missing splash shield? I would think it’s a low pressure bubble being created in the engine bay though. If so, also sounds like it could decrease the amount rate of air getting to engine.

borcth

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That’s interesting… can anyone here run an aerodynamic model to simulate the missing splash shield? I would think it’s a low pressure bubble being created in the engine bay though. If so, also sounds like it could decrease the amount rate of air getting to engine.
It was weird. I never would've thought the missing skid plate was causing the issue. In fact, I thought it was different things. Like I needed to beef up certain suspension components. It never went away. Then when I saw the skid plate missing I had a eureka moment. It turned out to be the culprit. The very first drive out after installing it and took it up to the speed, it never did it and has never since and I was like HELL YEAH. I knew it!

Besides, I did not like the idea of having it exposed. It rains a lot in Florida and shit is flying everywhere. Last thing I need is a huge piece of debris flying up and damaging something or getting water splash inside everywhere.

OP
OP

Oog61

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si
Country flag
Thanks for the help everybody. I ordered the BAA skid plate. I’m inclined to agree with borcth about the aerodynamic effects of leaving that space wide open. I’ve lost a few mpg in highway driving since losing the cover.

borcth

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks for the help everybody. I ordered the BAA skid plate. I’m inclined to agree with borcth about the aerodynamic effects of leaving that space wide open. I’ve lost a few mpg in highway driving since losing the cover.
Nice, you won't be disappointed. Did you get the extra front piece too? The skid plate? Small price to pay for it, but I think it completes the look and it adds protection/beefiness to that area. Plus it looks cool when looking at your car from the front at a distance.

OP
OP

Oog61

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si
Country flag
Nice, you won't be disappointed. Did you get the extra front piece too? The skid plate? Small price to pay for it, but I think it completes the look and it adds protection/beefiness to that area. Plus it looks cool when looking at your car from the front at a distance.
Yes I did. That area can use all the protection it can get.