2020 Si Coupe vs. 2018 Si Coupe Comparison Thread (will update as things are found)

Gino27

Red Rocket
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 si coupe
Country flag
I just got my 2020 Rallaye red coupe. I have to say there really is a big change in the way it drives. It doesn't necessarily feel much faster, but the acceleration is almost instant. The "fake" sound is a nice addition, too. It doesn't sound offensive at all; in fact it is pretty pleasant in the higher rpm's. The biggest change, though, is how tight and buttoned down the car feels. The body control feels much better than my '18 and the nvh is null.

To say the least all of the upgrades are substantial and for the minimal price hike, it may be worth it for some.
Sponsored

OP
OP
PowerPerLiter

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
I just got my 2020 Rallaye red coupe. I have to say there really is a big change in the way it drives. It doesn't necessarily feel much faster, but the acceleration is almost instant. The "fake" sound is a nice addition, too. It doesn't sound offensive at all; in fact it is pretty pleasant in the higher rpm's. The biggest change, though, is how tight and buttoned down the car feels. The body control feels much better than my '18 and the nvh is null.

To say the least all of the upgrades are substantial and for the minimal price hike, it may be worth it for some.
I really agree. Its quite dramatic actually. Im really curious if after 6 months the "newness" will wear off and this will change.

I surely remember my 2018 being a royal pain in the ass to drive smooth and soft by comparison.

Of course I do know all the little tricks to driving these things by now so that may be having some effect.

The Honda sensing pack that I initially never wanted anything to do with is AWESOME.

Lane keep assist and active cruise control along with collision mitigation etc; combined with a 6 speed manual sports car for 25k bucks is just ludicrous!

I suggest people get out and test drive them if curious on the differences.

This one is definitely punching above its class.

aighead

Threads
Reaction score
Website
snortcoffee.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 1988 Ford f250, 2004 Honda vtx1300
Country flag
Is Ktuner the same for both? Anyone know? Like could I go buy a 2020 and use the same Ktuner I have from my 2017?

OP
OP
PowerPerLiter

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
Is Ktuner the same for both? Anyone know? Like could I go buy a 2020 and use the same Ktuner I have from my 2017?
They are always updating supported ecu listings so yes eventually you should be able to if not already....just depends on ecu model number.

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Being that online you have to choose between 17-18 or 19+ when ordering a Ktuner, I would guess that there was some major ECU change for 2019 so it may not work.

OP
OP
PowerPerLiter

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Being that online you have to choose between 17-18 or 19+ when ordering a Ktuner, I would guess that there was some major ECU change for 2019 so it may not work.
Did not know that. Must be a difference. Not very surprising if they are.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
I have a 19 that is right in the middle. Only has 5,000 miles on it. Has a few of the updates such as the new radio and climate control stuff. The little USB extension and what not. Otherwise I'd be hell bent on getting a 2020.

I kinda like the 17-19 rims and front vents too. Can't say for sure until I see the car in person though. I keep going back and fourth looking at pics online. I love the LEDs and sound enhancement for sure though.

I'd like to see some actual track tests to see if the car is any faster with the shorter gears.
With the shorter gearing you are going to get slightly better off the line acceleration, but a lower top speed, which is the trade off. You are also going to be slightly higher in the rpm range at highway cruising speeds, which means you will have slightly better pull in 5th and 6th gears

Valenzx

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI
Country flag
I tried to order the 19+ two months ago and it didn't work. I e-mailed Ktuner and was put on a Beta build and TSP will not release the Stage 1 until Ktuner is out of Beta.

Gino27

Red Rocket
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 si coupe
Country flag
After putting some more miles on it today, I've noticed a few more things.

It smells like burnt popcorn when I get out of the car. I'm certain that it's just new parts getting hot for the first time. The "active noise control" is engaged in both normal and sport mode, It's just turned up a notch in sport. I can clearly hear the exhaust noise coming from the back speakers, especially on downshifts. And even more obvious is the engine noise coming through the tweeters.

An odd thing I found was that the bass and sub woofer were cranked all the way up from the factory. I'm wondering if that is somehow linked to the engine noise?

Maroco

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda civic lx 2020 civic si
Country flag
After putting some more miles on it today, I've noticed a few more things.

It smells like burnt popcorn when I get out of the car. I'm certain that it's just new parts getting hot for the first time. The "active noise control" is engaged in both normal and sport mode, It's just turned up a notch in sport. I can clearly hear the exhaust noise coming from the back speakers, especially on downshifts. And even more obvious is the engine noise coming through the tweeters.

An odd thing I found was that the bass and sub woofer were cranked all the way up from the factory. I'm wondering if that is somehow linked to the engine noise?
Interesting, you're the first of us 2020 owners to notice the noise without sport mode engaged. All i hear with it off is the exhaust, which is getting louder by the day.

We'll have to do some more testing!

My bass and sub where at the lowest setting when i received mine.

That burnt smell is the exhaust, it will go away after a few heat cycles.

Last edited:

chuchu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si
Country flag
Interesting, your the first of us 2020 owners to notice the noise without sport mode engaged. All i hear with it off is the exhaust, which is getting louder by the day.

We'll have to do some more testing!

My bass and sub where at the lowest setting when i received mine.

That burnt smell is the exhaust, it will go away after a few heat cycles.
I have the same experience as you. My bass and sub were at lowest setting. I only hear the piped in engine noise when in sport mode.

Gino27

Red Rocket
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 si coupe
Country flag
I have the same experience as you. My bass and sub were at lowest setting. I only hear the piped in engine noise when in sport mode.
It's not loud at all in normal mode. I can only hear it when on very smooth pavement and in the mid rmp's or on heel toe downshifts. I have to say the shifter feels much better as well. No more notchy feeling in the even gears! (for now)

maggs_10thgen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe Old whips: 2005 RSX Type S, 2015 Civic Si Coupe, 1998 Integra GSR Green, 1998 Integra GSR Red
Country flag
It's not loud at all in normal mode. I can only hear it when on very smooth pavement and in the mid rmp's or on heel toe downshifts. I have to say the shifter feels much better as well. No more notchy feeling in the even gears! (for now)
I have heard members say over time it gets a little notchy. Usually swapping in some Amsoil does the trick.
I have 5k on my 2019 Si. It's the best shifting Honda I've ever owned. Smooth as butter. My friend who's a previous Si owner drove it the other night and absolutely loved it.

Reactions: mjh

Gino27

Red Rocket
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 si coupe
Country flag
I have heard members say over time it gets a little notchy. Usually swapping in some Amsoil does the trick.
I have 5k on my 2019 Si. It's the best shifting Honda I've ever owned. Smooth as butter. My friend who's a previous Si owner drove it the other night and absolutely loved it.
That's what happened with my 2018. Over time I just got used to feel and started to like it. Unfortunately my Si is a Honda associate company car so any modifications are a big no no. Otherwise I'd be in the front of the line for Armsoil and a tune.

maggs_10thgen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe Old whips: 2005 RSX Type S, 2015 Civic Si Coupe, 1998 Integra GSR Green, 1998 Integra GSR Red
Country flag
That's what happened with my 2018. Over time I just got used to feel and started to like it. Unfortunately my Si is a Honda associate company car so any modifications are a big no no. Otherwise I'd be in the front of the line for Armsoil and a tune.
That pretty much happened to all my Hondas. This one has been good so far :thumbsup:

Between the 2018 & 2020.. 2020 hands down though. Even though I love my 19. The subtle changes they made gave the car the finishing touches it needed
Sponsored