2020 Si Coupe-Spoiler flappy on highway, anyone else have?

gokstate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si Coupe, 2017 VW GTI, 2017 MINI Cooper S, 2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Country flag
I've only put about 900 miles on my car, but a couple of times on the interstate at speed (75-80mph), I've noticed in the rearview mirror the rear spoiler seems to be reverberating/shaking quite a bit up/down, especially if there's any wind at all. It doesn't seem to be particularly loose when manually pushing/pulling on it later in the garage.

Has anyone else had this happen or notice? Can't tell if it's just the aerodynamics at speed or if I need to have something tightened up. Thanks.
Sponsored

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Does it flap that much?

I've taken my civic 100+ many times and never noticed my spoiler shaking obsessively.

OP
OP

gokstate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si Coupe, 2017 VW GTI, 2017 MINI Cooper S, 2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Country flag
Does it flap that much?

I've taken my civic 100+ many times and never noticed my spoiler shaking obsessively.
It's pretty noticeable. Hard to quantify exactly, but very visible movement--not like it's going to fall off, but moves/shakes enough to be a distraction and blur the spoiler in the mirror. The first time made me think the wind had just caught it in a certain harmonic to make it flap, but it doesn't look normal. Then again, it's a sizeable spoiler

Last edited:
OP
OP

gokstate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It’s not the mirror shaking?
Ha, you made me pause to think a moment, but then everything in the rear image would've been shaking too. It's definitely just the spoiler.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
I’ve seen it vibrate, but it’s not that noticeable to me. Take a video of it, i’ll tell you if it is normal.

Also, the Si spoiler is not functional in any way. Don’t care what Honda says. It’s purely just styling. Air doesn’t touch any part of the trunk lid while driving. I can tell because the water never blows off after washing the car.

So don’t worry that the flimsy plastic spoiler is reducing your car’s aerodynamic in performance in any way.

lotuskid731

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Aegean Blue Si Coupe, ‘06 Ford Ranger XL
Country flag
My 2020 has it as well. So far as I can tell, it seems to be normal. :)

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
My 2020 has it as well. So far as I can tell, it seems to be normal. :)
It’s just very flexible with no support in the middle. Should see how bad the Type R spoiler connecting piece jiggles when the hatch gets shut.

Dawsfc3

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si
Country flag
There is a company that makes inserts to prevent that from happening. Two way taped in if I remember right. Can’t remember which company.

Dpack

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
I've only put about 900 miles on my car, but a couple of times on the interstate at speed (75-80mph), I've noticed in the rearview mirror the rear spoiler seems to be reverberating/shaking quite a bit up/down, especially if there's any wind at all. It doesn't seem to be particularly loose when manually pushing/pulling on it later in the garage.

Has anyone else had this happen or notice? Can't tell if it's just the aerodynamics at speed or if I need to have something tightened up. Thanks.

fabrizzio71

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Coupe White Orchid Pearl
Country flag
I popped off the plastic covers on each side and tightened up the bolts. When I installed my transmission motor mount inserts, the spoiler would vibrate like crazy when at idle. The inserts have broken in now, but it definitely helped.

S2kx8

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Civic EX, 2001, 2005, 2008 S2000's, 2020 Si
Country flag

I haven't noticed this vibration but will look for such next time I fracture the speed limit in the Si. That said, the "boy racer wing" is my least favorite styling cue of the 10th gen. Civic. I would have preferred Honda have a simple duck tail at the rear and make the stand alone wing an option like it did on say the S2000. If there were a quality aftermarket piece that would blend well with the coupes styling I would remove the wing, paint it to match and be done with it. but that's just me.. ;-)
Sponsored