Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX-P
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Resurrecting this thread after a bit to annotate progress and my thoughts:

I think buying a used L15 out of an EX-T might be the best course of action right now. I would of course use Si Camshafts, and the bottom end I’ve built, but the engine head from an Si is nearly $2200! I would of course get the head resurfaced before transferring it, but even out of wrecked cars an L15 Si engine commands a high price, much higher than 2 camshafts and a whole regular L15 engine.
Forget the L15 motors. If you have the money, go oldschool K24 or K20A2 motor. The 1.5T does great for what it is but I don't agree with some of the engineering that has gone into emissions and fuel economy that moves Honda from performance to econoboxes.
Sponsored

Ap1 George

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SGP Civic Sport Hatch 6MT
Country flag
Resurrecting this thread after a bit to annotate progress and my thoughts:

I think buying a used L15 out of an EX-T might be the best course of action right now. I would of course use Si Camshafts, and the bottom end I’ve built, but the engine head from an Si is nearly $2200! I would of course get the head resurfaced before transferring it, but even out of wrecked cars an L15 Si engine commands a high price, much higher than 2 camshafts and a whole regular L15 engine.
You only really need the intake cam, the HPFP and the hard fuel line from the Si/CRV head. In the end if you buy an upgraded DI system from Eman you would only need the intake cam.

OP
OP
mrburgerUS

mrburgerUS

First Name
Nicholai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Si Swap
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You only really need the intake cam, the HPFP and the hard fuel line from the Si/CRV head. In the end if you buy an upgraded DI system from Eman you would only need the intake cam.
I had forgotten about Emans fuel upgrade. He doesn’t have a web page for it and he’s notoriously slow. I wonder, about how pricey might it be? I definitely want a better pump setup.

Ap1 George

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I had forgotten about Emans fuel upgrade. He doesn’t have a web page for it and he’s notoriously slow. I wonder, about how pricey might it be? I definitely want a better pump setup.
Last time I was at his shop he said $19xx. Not sure if that's the kit only or installed out the door. He said it should give you about 25% more fuel capacity over the stock Si fuel system so it should be able to put you around the low 400 whp with ethanol and possibly higher with non ethanol race fuel

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I believe 1900 USD. I know AAPerformance is working on one also and he claims it can be done for much cheaper.

Ap1 George

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I believe 1900 USD. I know AAPerformance is working on one also and he claims it can be done for much cheaper.
I saw Alex from AA post about that as well, there is also one from quicknslick performance in San Diego in the works

OP
OP
mrburgerUS

mrburgerUS

First Name
Nicholai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Call me crazy, but I entered the measured bearing dimensions for the Connecting Rods into the King website and look what came back... L15A1 bearings. The P/N is CR4398SM

Anyone sane willing to verify these may fit? I checked the FSM for both models and the bore of the connecting rods is the same, and the clearance color chart is IDENTICAL. My only worry is that these SM race bearings for a Fit might not take the load. But, knowing King, they may work just fine!

OP
OP
mrburgerUS

mrburgerUS

First Name
Nicholai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Call me crazy, but I entered the measured bearing dimensions for the Connecting Rods into the King website and look what came back... L15A1 bearings. The P/N is CR4398SM

Anyone sane willing to verify these may fit? I checked the FSM for both models and the bore of the connecting rods is the same, and the clearance color chart is IDENTICAL. My only worry is that these SM race bearings for a Fit might not take the load. But, knowing King, they may work just fine!
To anyone reading, this won’t work in high load scenarios. The OEM are tri metal and designed for higher loads than the ones listed.

In other news, @Two Step Performance hooked me up with a Competition Clutch Kit, BC Steel Valve Springs, and a Cometic head gasket! All that’s left is to find a suitable for-parts L15B7 (non-Si because much cheaper at a yard), and transplant those parts. In addition, I am working with ARP to find a PROPER solution to the head studs, since the Hayabusa thread engagement in the block is pathetic.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
To anyone reading, this won’t work in high load scenarios. The OEM are tri metal and designed for higher loads than the ones listed.

In other news, @Two Step Performance hooked me up with a Competition Clutch Kit, BC Steel Valve Springs, and a Cometic head gasket! All that’s left is to find a suitable for-parts L15B7 (non-Si because much cheaper at a yard), and transplant those parts. In addition, I am working with ARP to find a PROPER solution to the head studs, since the Hayabusa thread engagement in the block is pathetic.
You would think that at this point it would be a "no brainer" for ARP to start producing a proper kit for these engines. Please let us know if anything comes of that. Though I've not read of any failures using the current "Hayabusa stud workaround", the solution is less than ideal.

ManitobaSI

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You would think that at this point it would be a "no brainer" for ARP to start producing a proper kit for these engines. Please let us know if anything comes of that. Though I've not read of any failures using the current "Hayabusa stud workaround", the solution is less than ideal.
It would be nice to see a photo of the actual workaround with the two washers to see how much thread engagement there is. I have the washers and studs. I will be putting a head on in 1.5 weeks but it would be nice to see a photo sooner. If no one has photos I will mock up the assembly and do one this weekend. I’m so curious.

Last edited:

OP
OP
mrburgerUS

mrburgerUS

First Name
Nicholai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Big things happened this weekend. Purchased a 2017 Donor 1.5T motor out of a sedan! I have started tearing it down, and so far, there are slight differences I have found on the intake camshaft! For example:
The HPFP square cam is slightly different dimensionally, according to the Mitutoyo. Visually they appear the same. Critical dimensions I have measured are the flat-flat dimension with the calipers parallel to the camshaft end, the corner-corner dimension, which is bigger for the Si, and the flat center-center dimension, which is a LOT smaller for the Si camshaft. Overall, this means the Si camshaft has higher peaks and lower valleys on the HPFP cam, which means more pump travel!

MEASUREMENTS (mm):
Flat-Flat
Sedan: 32.40
Si: 31.90
Peak-Peak
Sedan: 38.00
Si: 39.00
Flat Center- Flat Center
Sedan 32.20

Si: 31.75
Honda Civic 10th gen 2020 Si 0 miles block build thread Camshaft measureas

Hopefully this diagram explains it.

OP
OP
mrburgerUS

mrburgerUS

First Name
Nicholai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Big Update! I installed my head gasket. Went with OEM, so my Cometic I purchased will sit as a backup. Heard too many horror stories with this platform. Anyways, I used the Hayabusa Kit, as well as some ETD150 Steel spacers machined by a friend. I will include the drawing I use, but I am not a Mechanical Engineer! In addition, I installed the BC valve springs. YOU NEED THE OTC / HONDA tool for this. they are seriously tough. The clamp-style is the only way I could successfully do the spring job. If you want pictures or details of any of the processes up to getting the head on, feel free to ask.

Attachments

OP
OP
mrburgerUS

mrburgerUS

First Name
Nicholai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
We'll call this an engine building binge. I am essentially done with assembly, and now I wait until I have a week to remove the Alternator, starter, and harness from my FK7 engine. I have struggled, fought, and had a great time up till now, let's see if she runs at all! @ManitobaSI has helped me especially in not losing my mind. @kshawn and his Instagram are also a massive help. Also: for those that come after, the M6x1.0 32mm bolts for the auto tensioner are prone to stripping out the block. I had this happen, and I fixed it by using a M6x1.0 40 mm (upper tensioner bolt) and 35 mm (lower tensioner bolt) bolts, both Grade 10.9 JIS FLANGE BOLTS (very important) ordered off McMaster-Carr. I feel awful not having updated this thread more, but I am willing to answer any questions any future builders may have. I will also be attaching some pictures I missed in my previous post as well as some pictures of my Cerakote Tequila Sunrise valve cover, which IMO is SERIOUSLY sweet. @Vincent@27WON sponsorship when? (Kidding, or not ;))

Anyways, here are some pics.
Honda Civic 10th gen 2020 Si 0 miles block build thread camphoto_684387517
Honda Civic 10th gen 2020 Si 0 miles block build thread IMG_3299
Honda Civic 10th gen 2020 Si 0 miles block build thread 65660694441__19476B8A-1372-4AB2-BC6A-4F1AD3AEAD9C
Honda Civic 10th gen 2020 Si 0 miles block build thread camphoto_1804928587 (1)
Honda Civic 10th gen 2020 Si 0 miles block build thread camphoto_1804928587