tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Awesome appreciate the response. So the new type R lock nut only adds a bit of height from my Si nut? If that’s the case I’ll just buy the knob itself.
Yeah, it seems somewhat minimal in terms of differences. The new lock but would also require the shift boot as well. Probably not worth it on your end.
Sponsored

Gotrpms

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I replaced my shifter and shift knob to 2020. And also the locknut but in this case I used the SI locknut which is much much more cheaper than the 2020 TypeR locknut.

9997C602-2BC6-4D30-B8AC-52D150203745.jpeg
Do you have the part number for the si locknut?

JohnEBlaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 CW Type R
Country flag
Is it possible to swap this shifter without removing the whole center console? Or is removing the entire console absolutely necessary?

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Is it possible to swap this shifter without removing the whole center console? Or is removing the entire console absolutely necessary?
Shifter assembly swap = yes, need to remove center console
Shift knob swap = no

Type-JZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Lexus GS350, B13 Sentra SE-R, '93 Camry, '07 TSX, '13 Odyssey
Country flag
For anyone interested in some technical info;
- the threads in the OEM '17 ball knob vs the 2020 knob is double the amount. In other words, there's not much thread on the 2020 knob.
- there's not enough threads on the shifter to make the 2020 knob go to '17 height simply because of the above and the tear drop is longer vs ball.
- even if you screw the knob all the way down to the end of the threads on the oe '17 shifter, it's still about 1/2" longer. which may or may not matter to some.
- due to the boot clip/lock nut, you won't be able to screw max thread anyways. If you don't care about the boot clip making noises & wiggling around, you can use no lock nut, go max thread. But, your knob gear pattern/label won't be centered. You'll need some sort of nut to lock the boot clip and knob, which raises the knob height.

I tried to get fancy to make something, but it's not worth my time when the Si nut is $5.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
For anyone interested in some technical info;
- the threads in the OEM '17 ball knob vs the 2020 knob is double the amount. In other words, there's not much thread on the 2020 knob.
- there's not enough threads on the shifter to make the 2020 knob go to '17 height simply because of the above and the tear drop is longer vs ball.
- even if you screw the knob all the way down to the end of the threads on the oe '17 shifter, it's still about 1/2" longer. which may or may not matter to some.
- due to the boot clip/lock nut, you won't be able to screw max thread anyways. If you don't care about the boot clip making noises & wiggling around, you can use no lock nut, go max thread. But, your knob gear pattern/label won't be centered. You'll need some sort of nut to lock the boot clip and knob, which raises the knob height.

I tried to get fancy to make something, but it's not worth my time when the Si nut is $5.
The 2020 shifter is ½” lower than the 2017. It may be possible that they’re both actually at the same height. I remember someone posted a comparison picture. Both shifters had the same amount of threading, but the 2020 was definitely shorter (that user quoted ½“).

I’m currently using the Si nut as well. I feel it’s needed if you’re going to use the 2020 knob. I don’t really like the new knob with the old nut.

Type-JZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Lexus GS350, B13 Sentra SE-R, '93 Camry, '07 TSX, '13 Odyssey
Country flag
The 2020 shifter is ½” lower than the 2017. It may be possible that they’re both actually at the same height. I remember someone posted a comparison picture. Both shifters had the same amount of threading, but the 2020 was definitely shorter (that user quoted ½“).

I’m currently using the Si nut as well. I feel it’s needed if you’re going to use the 2020 knob. I don’t really like the new knob with the old nut.
yea, the 2020 shifter is shorter. The 2020 knob w/ the old nut doesn't look right aesthetically. You have 2 skirts lol

CeaseR

First Name
Cesar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CW civic type r
Country flag
Anyone have problems ordering these parts I placed an order online with a Honda dealer in south Florida and got email today saying they couldn’t fulfill the order and will be refunding me, bummed out because I don’t really care for the ball shift knob but don’t want to go aftermarket on a new one

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Anyone have problems ordering these parts I placed an order online with a Honda dealer in south Florida and got email today saying they couldn’t fulfill the order and will be refunding me, bummed out because I don’t really care for the ball shift knob but don’t want to go aftermarket on a new one
Everything is probably on backorder due to newness and COVID.

JohnEBlaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 CW Type R
Country flag
Everything is probably on backorder due to newness and COVID.
Honda Parts Network may have them in stock.

I ordered everything from HPN July 28th and was told the boot was on backorder. However, the following day I received a notice it was in stock and shipped. The parts were delivered Aug 4th and the boot was suede.

CeaseR

First Name
Cesar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CW civic type r
Country flag
Honda Parts Network may have them in stock.

I ordered everything from HPN July 28th and was told the boot was on backorder. However, the following day I received a notice it was in stock and shipped. The parts were delivered Aug 4th and the boot was suede.
I ended up ordering them through a friend that is the service manager of a ford dealership that deals with a local Honda dealership when they need Honda parts and he said I will have them by Tuesday, fingers crossed that the boot is suede

98-0425

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Type-R #12307, 98 Integra Type-R #0425, 07 Pilot EX-L, 17 Pilot Elite
Country flag
I ended up ordering them through a friend that is the service manager of a ford dealership that deals with a local Honda dealership when they need Honda parts and he said I will have them by Tuesday, fingers crossed that the boot is suede
The correct boot is now being shipped.

swindonctr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR
Country flag
Do you have the part number for the si locknut?
Followed ctr0200's lead (thank you!) and installed only the 2020 teardrop shift knob with the Si locknut on a 2019 CTR (didn't want to remove the center console, change the shifter assembly, shift boot, etc.). Installed as low as the threads would go, and with that, it does sit slightly less than 1/2" higher than the 2017-19 ball shift knob with CTR locknut.

Here's the part numbers:
54102-TGH-G00 - Knob, Change Lever - 2020 teardrop shift knob (~$100)
54103-TBF-A00 - Nut, Change Lever Flange - 2019 Si locknut (~$4)
Sponsored

Last edited: