NYR2424

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
At what mileage did you replace your stock rotors?

Anyone with 2020+ replace front rotors with one piece rotors? Are there major drawbacks to going from two piece to one piece?
Sponsored

typearghhhh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
2021 with 22k miles on stock rotors, changing my pads out next week just received them.

haltamer

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 (UK / RHD!)
Country flag
On the converse, I went from 2019 to 2020 Rotors.

There's a slight but tangible increase in weight - Going from 2019 to 2020, I noticed the weight-loss in the front axle.

They also tend to last much less than the 2 Piece discs - Mine were forming very big lips after going through the OEM Pads, my 2020 discs are now on their second set (2020 OEM, Now Dixcel ES) and still look fairly fresh.

Certainly not worth the downgrade for the cost savings, which are fairly negligible - If you prefer the drilled look it's understandable though.

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
Measure your rotors. Keep using them until they get to minimum spec. Digital calipers are cheap, you only need cheap ones to measure break calipers. Don't trust the dealers to tell yuo when you need new ones.

TheBatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 CTR Boost Blue, '21 Mazda 3
Country flag
Measure your rotors. Keep using them until they get to minimum spec. Digital calipers are cheap, you only need cheap ones to measure break calipers. Don't trust the dealers to tell yuo when you need new ones.
I wouldn't trust the dealership to tell me anything....lol...

OP
OP

NYR2424

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
On the converse, I went from 2019 to 2020 Rotors.

There's a slight but tangible increase in weight - Going from 2019 to 2020, I noticed the weight-loss in the front axle.

They also tend to last much less than the 2 Piece discs - Mine were forming very big lips after going through the OEM Pads, my 2020 discs are now on their second set (2020 OEM, Now Dixcel ES) and still look fairly fresh.

Certainly not worth the downgrade for the cost savings, which are fairly negligible - If you prefer the drilled look it's understandable though.
I'm confused. Aren't two piece rotors (2020) suppose to be lighter? Do you mean you went from 2020 rotors to 2019 rotors?

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm confused. Aren't two piece rotors (2020) suppose to be lighter? Do you mean you went from 2020 rotors to 2019 rotors?
I think he meant " There's a slight but tangible decrease in weight..."

ShaneAnigans

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type-R
Country flag
Are there major drawbacks to going from two piece to one piece?
So I was literally just talking to a braking engineer about this, and here are the answers:

2-piece rotors eliminate rotor knock-back, which means no long pedal after braking in the corners. There's the obvious weight savings, and the thermal mass can be where it needs to be, in the disc/braking ring. If you're just driving around on the street like a normal person, the only difference is replacement cost, and they look pretty.
Sponsored