Admin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
This is the new 2020 Honda Civic Type R, and it meets its Japanese elder, the 2002 EP3 Honda Civic Type R which costs far less and still offers hot hatchback thrills. Both are four cylinders, and both fulfill the role of an icon. But can the old one stack up, and is the new one worth the massive premium? James and Thomas jump behind the wheel of both to experience them and discuss them inside and out. Safely filmed with social distancing measures in place. Watch and enjoy!

Sponsored

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Just finished watching this one a few minutes ago. Someone actually mentioned turbo lag in their reviews. I guess someone noticed it as well; I got a bit of flack for saying the FK8 had a little bit of it ?‍♂

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ridgeline RTL-E (Thanks to the CTR markups)
Country flag
Just finished watching this one a few minutes ago. Someone actually mentioned turbo lag in their reviews. I guess someone noticed it as well; I got a bit of flack for saying the FK8 had a little bit of it ?‍♂
The problem lies in that the majority out there don't know what turbo lag really means.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
The problem lies in that the majority out there don't know what turbo lag really means.
I defined it when I was talking about it though ?‍♂ Also differentiated it from turbo threshold and explained the difference. Meh...

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ridgeline RTL-E (Thanks to the CTR markups)
Country flag
I defined it when I was talking about it though ?‍♂ Also differentiated it from turbo threshold and explained the difference. Meh...
Dude we live in a society that believe that 5G mobile antennas activated covid19.
What else can you expect?

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Same, I think people need to realize it's there, but if you compare it to say an STI, well, it's pretty much not there in that regard. Same with rev hang - definitely has some, but if you compare it to, well, a stock Si, it's pretty much not present in the Type R either.

Good review though. Interesting that Thomas said he probably wouldn't buy one as a daily.

Drakenkorin

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon-to-be 2020 Type R
Country flag
Good review though. Interesting that Thomas said he probably wouldn't buy one as a daily.
Some people can't fathom themselves in a car that looks like something you would design in need for speed undergound. Others, like myself, can't imagine themselves in anything else ?

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
I'm well aware of turbo lag and - yes - if you're really being a nitpicker you can find it here or there if you're not putting it at a proper RPM - but I would put more at 'almost nonexistent' compared to previous vehicles I've had like the EVO and STi. But really even those complaints of 'turbo lag' really come down to the driver.

If you mash your foot in an EVO at 3k rpm's and start complaining about turbo lag - I mean really? Boost in those is closer to 4k minimum - so is it turbo lag or driver error? Because if you shift down, are in the proper RPM, boost is all but instantaneous.

Complaints about turbo lag, imo, fell off being relevant around 2000 or so. When turbos were still being sorted and tuning refined. Now though? Turbo lag is really just being peevish when brought up - all kinds of cars run turbos, and do it well - the Type R is in that class of car and I find turbo lag all but nonexistent.

My .02

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I'm well aware of turbo lag and - yes - if you're really being a nitpicker you can find it here or there if you're not putting it at a proper RPM - but I would put more at 'almost nonexistent' compared to previous vehicles I've had like the EVO and STi. But really even those complaints of 'turbo lag' really come down to the driver.

If you mash your foot in an EVO at 3k rpm's and start complaining about turbo lag - I mean really? Boost in those is closer to 4k minimum - so is it turbo lag or driver error? Because if you shift down, are in the proper RPM, boost is all but instantaneous.

Complaints about turbo lag, imo, fell off being relevant around 2000 or so. When turbos were still being sorted and tuning refined. Now though? Turbo lag is really just being peevish when brought up - all kinds of cars run turbos, and do it well - the Type R is in that class of car and I find turbo lag all but nonexistent.

My .02
Almost nonexistent I agree with. All but nonexistent I agree with. Like I said, it’s very little/small amount. But it does exist. My previous statements that I got flack for were that it was a little bit and definitely not none or zero.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Almost nonexistent I agree with. All but nonexistent I agree with. Like I said, it’s very little/small amount. But it does exist. My previous statements that I got flack for were that it was a little bit and definitely not none or zero.
Pretty much. I generally keep revs around the 3K mark even when cruising (just below) so that boost threshold is not too far away.

Tev42

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
The vent in front of the intercooler stayed the same size right (from 2019 to 2020) ?

I thought it was the grille that got larger, or did they both get larger? He puts his hand over the intercooler when he says "they opened this up" at 12:52

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
The vent in front of the intercooler stayed the same size right (from 2019 to 2020) ?

I thought it was the grille that got larger, or did they both get larger? He puts his hand over the intercooler when he says "they opened this up" at 12:52
Yes, that was probably a misquote in the video. The intercooler opening should be the same size, the grill changed though.