2020 FK8 - How can I remove the shift boot ?

atrainn

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR
Country flag
atrainn - did you see post 16 above? Worked like a charm for me, too. Mine is a 2021.
I did try that as well but with no success. I was finally able to get it off but had to use a flathead to pry it off with four pry tools shoved in it all around. I put electric tape on the flathead but even then managed to mar the boot collar a tiny bit since it took so much force to get it off, but thankfully the new knob covers it up. I don't know why mine seemed to be significantly more difficult than others so I'll probably swap it out for an Acutiy collar at some point.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jpembry

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
Just wanted to bump this thread as I have a ‘21 and successfully used the method in post #16 just now. Took about 10 seconds or so to find the right position, but some turning and firm pushing down popped it off very easily. I did this with the knob still attached FWIW.

Beavis

First Name
Beavis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Can confirm for 2020-2021 CTR shift boot removal from locking nut, turn shift boot collar 90 degrees clockwise and then push down firming.

I have tested this removal process multiple times and the OEM/stock red shift boot collar is not damaged during the process.

Side note, the shift knob does not need to be loosen or removed to separate shift boot collar from the locking nut. 90 degree turn clockwise, push downward.

FK7_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan, 2015 Acura MDX Elite
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Damn wish I found this post sooner. Mangled my collar but I just installed the acuity one and it’s way easier to change knobs, so no big deal.

SGP_TypeR

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R
Country flag
For everyone looking to do this. Mine would not come off without damaging it no matter what technique I tried. So what I ended up doing was removing the boot from underneath. I removed the trim, lifted the boot, removed the zip tie, and was able to remove the collar that way.

Do yourself a favor and buy the acuity collar before hand so you never have to deal with the OEM collar again.

SplinterC3ll

First Name
André
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sport Plus 2017
Country flag
hi guys, is there anyone there that wants to sell the oem ring, the red or the chromed one ?

SplinterC3ll

First Name
André
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sport Plus 2017
Country flag
Why not buy the acuity boot collar?
Because i bought the original type-r shift nob and nut, and i would like to transform my sport model in to type-r look. So that plastic part is the missing part and Honda does not sell it

Honda Civic 10th gen 2020 FK8 - How can I remove the shift boot ? 86BE8DA4-DE67-499A-A799-A6AAD9E782AF

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
cmon guys, anyone ? just need this part as shown in picture

ring.png
From Honda? You need to buy a new shift boot assembly, what is pictured comes as one part from Honda. From others? There are some 3rd parties that sell shift boot collars (like Acuity).

Edit: note that if you buy a Honda part, make sure it matches up with your model year as the collar design differs between 2017-19 and 2020+; not just in color either.

SplinterC3ll

First Name
André
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sport Plus 2017
Country flag
From Honda? You need to buy a new shift boot assembly, what is pictured comes as one part from Honda. From others? There are some 3rd parties that sell shift boot collars (like Acuity).

Edit: note that if you buy a Honda part, make sure it matches up with your model year as the collar design differs between 2017-19 and 2020+; not just in color either.
i want the OEM shift boot collar from someone that has bought the acuity, that is my goal. i dont want the acuity myself because i want to transform my fk7(EU) into the fk8 look and i allready bought the knob and nut..
its crazy to buy that complete assembly just to take off the boot collar :(.
i am willing to pay 40$ for that oem boot collar, paypal in advance

Last edited:

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
i want the OEM shift boot collar from someone that has bought the acuity, that is my goal. i dont want the acuity myself because i want to transform my fk7(EU) into the fk8 look and i allready bought the knob and nut..
its crazy to buy that complete assembly just to take off the boot collar :(.
i am willing to pay 40$ for that oem boot collar, paypal in advance
You definitely want to specify which year of knob and nut you bought then. The nut and collar were changed for the 2020 year and doesn't work with the 2017-19 unless you replace both the nut and collar. So if you have a 2020+ nut, it won't work with a 2017-19 collar (without a few millimeters of sag) and if you have a 2017-19 nut, it won't work with the 2020+ collar.

SplinterC3ll

First Name
André
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sport Plus 2017
Country flag
You definitely want to specify which year of knob and nut you bought then. The nut and collar were changed for the 2020 year and doesn't work with the 2017-19 unless you replace both the nut and collar. So if you have a 2020+ nut, it won't work with a 2017-19 collar (without a few millimeters of sag) and if you have a 2017-19 nut, it won't work with the 2020+ collar.
as shows in above post of mine with picture, that is the 2016-2017 knob and nut that i bought at honda dealer for a type-r 2017
the dealer, the one who sold the car to me, garantees that it would fit in the sport plus model of mine (2017) BUT i would need to buy the assembly as you told, or get a collar from someone who has a type-r as honda does not sell the collar alone

JamesT

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
@SplinterC3ll do you still need that collar? I'm fitting an acuity collar tonight so my original one should be available.