2020 FK8 - How can I remove the shift boot ?

Eric48

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Country flag
I know this is an old thread but in case anyone needs this info: I was just messing with my new boot and (fourty f'ing dollar) locking nut. The nut is smooth on two sides. All you have to do is hold the red ring and rotate 90 degrees or until you find the smooth edges and pull down firmly. It's not even a little tricky.
Sponsored

21ChampWyteR

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R (Championship White)
Country flag
When I changed my shift knob and shift boot collar I just grabbed the shift boot around the stock boot collar and pulled down, easy peasy

836008D4-1382-44BD-AC7A-BC846D4533B1.jpeg
Did you replace the whole shifter assembly or is that the aftermarket shift knob that makes it lower then the stock knob??

Also, may I ask where you got the shift knob from??

j_limitz

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R - Championship White
Country flag
Did you replace the whole shifter assembly or is that the aftermarket shift knob that makes it lower then the stock knob??

Also, may I ask where you got the shift knob from??
It's a J's Racing Titanium Shift Knob & J's Racing Shift Boot Collar so you can adjust the height with the boot collar and set it where you want it. I have had this shift knob since 2006, but they sell a newer version which is more blueish.

https://www.evasivemotorsports.com/store/product/js-racing-titanium-shift-knob-ti-blue-m10x15/

5inn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Type R
Country flag
I know this is an old thread but in case anyone needs this info: I was just messing with my new boot and (fourty f'ing dollar) locking nut. The nut is smooth on two sides. All you have to do is hold the red ring and rotate 90 degrees or until you find the smooth edges and pull down firmly. It's not even a little tricky.
Is this with the shiftknob on or off?

5inn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Type R
Country flag
Getting the red ring down to expose the retaining nut is the first step to changing the shift knob. So the knob would definitely be on when doing this step.
Thanks. Eric's advice is the same as I found in a YT comment:
To everyone else watching video in future, The shift boot collar needed to rotate 90 degrees, than it can be pulled straight down (with some force) which is how the collar locks with the knob... if its NOT rotated, its NOT supposed to come off.... its designed that way.
On my 2017 Si, the boot/collar came down significantly easier.

Champale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5BW
Country flag
Eric48 - you are the best! So easy to do it that way!

Edit: installed EPCO 2 1/8" shift knob. About 50 bucks. Much better for my hand and no more scorched palm!

Honda Civic 10th gen 2020 FK8 - How can I remove the shift boot ? 20210702_201300

Honda Civic 10th gen 2020 FK8 - How can I remove the shift boot ? 20210702_201328

Last edited:

evlsmurf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Subaru Impreza Sport
Country flag
So, my clip seems jammed. It will not budge. I already had it off once when I put the red leather knob on. Now I am trying to put a little spacer on and the red clip will not come off. I have pulled and pulled... nothing. Turned it 90 degrees....nothing. I have no idea why it won't move now. Any have this problem where it won't come off? I don't want to pry on it and risk damaging the clip or the new knob.

evlsmurf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I got it. I said f it and cranked the crap out of it and it came down. Ridiculous.

moonrobin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CW
Country flag
So, my clip seems jammed. It will not budge. I already had it off once when I put the red leather knob on. Now I am trying to put a little spacer on and the red clip will not come off. I have pulled and pulled... nothing. Turned it 90 degrees....nothing. I have no idea why it won't move now. Any have this problem where it won't come off? I don't want to pry on it and risk damaging the clip or the new knob.
Yup, had this exact same issue. Thought I was up to date on my info, rotated it 90 degrees, and installed the new shifter knob. When I wanted to adjust the height (by moving the locking nut up. btw Is this legit? There's still ~1/3 inch of thread in the knob, and it's tensioned onto the locking nut anyways so it should be secure), the same procedure did not work.

For future readers. The best way to remove the shift knob on a 2020-2021 Civic Type R that's using the OEM red collar + lock nut combo is as follows (should work every time, not just the first)

1. Remove the knob by tightly gripping, and slowly rotating counter clock-wise. It will feel difficult at first, but eventually soften up and become loose.
  2. Remove the boomerang trim on the side of the center console. Use a trim removal tool, and there are 3 clips. For shift knob removal purposes, you don't actually have to take it off. The top (most difficult clip to remove) can be left in, and the piece has enough flexibility to allow the next step.
  3. Remove the two phillips head screws holding the shifter cover off.
  4. Using a trim removal tool, remove the shift boot assembly without disconnecting the electronics.
  5. Pull up on the red collar over the lock nut, and it will slide off fairly easily.

This youtube video: , from 4:50 to 6:44 show steps 2-5 with good tips.

evlsmurf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks man. I just really pulled on it and it popped over. It came off very easy the first time. I have no idea why it was so difficult the second time.

Drcuface

First Name
Dr cu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru wrx
Country flag
Hello everyone

I just recently tried to install a raceseng shift knob on my 2021 type R but am not sure why the boot isnt clipping back on fully? Is it because I need a shift collar or boot retainer? Or is it because I broke the clips or tabs on my boot? Not sure what i did wrong because the tabs dont appear to be messed up.

atrainn

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR
Country flag
Are there any other secrets to removing this on a 2021? I've spent probably two hours now trying to get mine off to replace the knob and it simply will not budge. I've already snapped three trim tools in half trying to pry it off with those.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Are there any other secrets to removing this on a 2021? I've spent probably two hours now trying to get mine off to replace the knob and it simply will not budge. I've already snapped three trim tools in half trying to pry it off with those.
Wrap your fingers around the top of the Alcantera section (you'll feel the plastic rim under the Alcantera) and pull down hard. You may need two hands to do it.

Champale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5BW
Country flag
atrainn - did you see post 16 above? Worked like a charm for me, too. Mine is a 2021.
Sponsored