2020 FK8 - How can I remove the shift boot ?

tavo.fk8_le

First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R Limited Edition
Country flag
Sup guys. so I decided to try and take a crack at changing my 2021 LE shift knob with some of the tips on this thread. here’s what worked for me:

1. firmly grasp the oem knob and turn counterclockwise to back it all the way off. it will have a ton of resistance at first but don’t worry about breaking anything.
  2. with the shift knob off, rotate the red collar 90 degrees clockwise and push down on it with a good amount of force. removing the knob in the previous step gives you better leverage than with the knob on.
  3. with the collar pushed down, it gives you access to the locking nut for your shift knob. thread your new shift knob on and lock it in place using a 14mm crescent wrench.
these steps worked perfectly for me and did not damage any of my oem hardware. i was able to successfully put on the acuity esco-t6 shift knob.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2020 FK8 - How can I remove the shift boot ? AEC6FED4-E2E1-432A-BA4B-578EE67216C1

shaqin

First Name
Zain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 FR-S
Country flag
Tried all of the methods in this thread. The collar wouldn't come down with the already unreasonable amount of force I was putting on it. Tried every angle, even got the knob off by rotating and still did not get the collar down. I was able to test the knob I was looking at and decided against it so I didn't need to pull the collar down in the end but I'm thinking maybe with a paperclip or some kind of punch you can push on the clips holding the collar in place while the knob is off. Probably won't be messing with it again in the near future but just an FYI. 2021 btw

First Name
jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 fk8
Country flag
Just upgraded to the Acuity collar today in my '21.

I had to turn the knob to remove, pulling the collar down didn't work for me. After looking at the collar after taking it off, I think it's impossible to unlatch the collar without first taking the knob off.

The way my OEM binding the collar are set up, the binding inserts from the top (where the knob would sit) and to remove, I have to push all the way through. So I wouldn't have been able to remove the collar by pulling down without breaking the collar or the binding. (I'd have to remove by pulling UP on the collar into the knob (at the correct 90 degree angle)).

So there must have been a change in OEM shift boot collar at some point.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
I couldn't get that red ring off for shit but got the knob replaced - just kept the collar. I ended up threading the existing mount bolt as far down as I could screw it then putting my new knob hardware on top it looks ok but I have no clue how to get the red retaining thing over that factory nut to do it proper.

wtf seriously

I tried all methods in this thread. Finally went with 'turn it counter clockwise until it comes off'. That was fine and good but can't get the hardware out as above.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Wrap your fingers around the top of the Alcantera section (you'll feel the plastic rim under the Alcantera) and pull down hard. You may need two hands to do it.
Man I tried all these and am not a weak person. This thing was not coming off. There was no flat spot to spin and drop it either. Short of taking entire shift boot off and dropping the nut out I don't see how possible. I worked carefully at it for a few hours.

keller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si coupe, 2021 SGP Type R
I changed my shift boot collar and shifter to Acuity, so I have them at my desk to show how you can do it. Mine is a 2021 fk8.

This is the OEM locking nut (notice the flat lateral face!) and shift boot collar:
Honda Civic 10th gen 2020 FK8 - How can I remove the shift boot ? Compress_20231001_231937_7320

This is the locking tab in the collar:
Honda Civic 10th gen 2020 FK8 - How can I remove the shift boot ? Compress_20231001_231937_7424

After you remove the knob, it's easy to pull the collar up - if it's not, you need to rotate the nut inside the collar 90 deg because the locking tab is aligned with the flat face in the locking nut. But pulling the collar down is harder because of the geometry of the locking nut.

So what I remember I did back then was to pull it up, slightly force the locking tabs outwards with a tool (here I'm using my finger, but you need something like a screwdriver while on the car), then push it down through the locking nut. Just like this:

Last edited:

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hmm will give it a try. Shifter is on as it is and has a splash of red so I may leave it lol. I have a good 'feel' for things usually and I rotated it a tiny bit at a time exerting force here and there and it never seemed to catch. Thanks a ton for posting the vid!

keller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si coupe, 2021 SGP Type R
Hmm will give it a try. Shifter is on as it is and has a splash of red so I may leave it lol. I have a good 'feel' for things usually and I rotated it a tiny bit at a time exerting force here and there and it never seemed to catch. Thanks a ton for posting the vid!
Wait, you wanted to remove the red shift boot collar altogether? If that's the case, you have to remove the entire shift boot assembly to replace it. The alcantara shift boot is held around it with a tie wrap. I replaced mine with one from acuity, no more cheap plastic piece.

People changing knobs usually have to move the shift boot collar down only to lock the shift knob in place. You use a wrench in the flat lateral face of the locking nut. If you don't do this, you'll soon feel your knob unscrewing itself haha.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Wait, you wanted to remove the red shift boot collar altogether? If that's the case, you have to remove the entire shift boot assembly to replace it. The alcantara shift boot is held around it with a tie wrap. I replaced mine with one from acuity, no more cheap plastic piece.

People changing knobs usually have to move the shift boot collar down only to lock the shift knob in place. You use a wrench in the flat lateral face of the locking nut. If you don't do this, you'll soon feel your knob unscrewing itself haha.
Yeah I brute fored counter clockwise off the stock bit, then lowered the stock nut all the way and just tightened the new shiftknob on top. Seems to work well and it retains the red clip bit. It feels ok so prob won't mess with it but I coudln't get the stock nut off - but prob could now with your helpful insight. But since it's working .... may just leave lol
Sponsored