2020 FK8 - How can I remove the shift boot ?

JDM Power

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R (FK8)
Country flag
Hello, guys !
I have a 2020 FK8 and I want to remove the shift boot, but I don’t know how. I tried to find a tutorial on the internet, but all I found was for non face-lift FK8 model (2017-2019), wich have the older shift knob.
I tried to pinch with two fingers the upper part of the shift boot, (immediately under the red ring), and pulled it down in the same time, but the shift boot doesn’t came down to the console.
Please help me, and if you have pictures or links to tutorial movie clips, please put it here.
Thank you very much.
Of course, my shift knob is the newer model, like in the picture below :
Honda Civic 10th gen 2020 FK8 - How can I remove the shift boot ? 05F300CC-3B89-44F1-96A7-445F7BB2C76C
Sponsored

Last edited:

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Hello, guys !
I have a 2020 FK8 and I want to remove the shift boot, but I don’t know how. I tried to find a tutorial on the internet, but all I found was for non face-lift FK8 model (2017-2019), wich have the older shift knob.
I tried to pinch with two fingers the upper part of the shift boot, (immediately under the red ring), and pulled it down in the same time, but the shift boot doesn’t came down to the console.
Please help me, and if you have pictures or links to tutorial movie clips, please put it here.
Thank you very much.
Of course, my shift knob is the newer model, like in the picture below :
05F300CC-3B89-44F1-96A7-445F7BB2C76C.jpeg
There are videos on this. It’s not super difficult though. I’ve got text directions below. However, there are many videos on YouTube if you search for them.

Remove the shift knob:
  • Pull down the shift boot with your hands or use a trim removal tool to pry it down. It will come down with enough force. Edit: I grip around it with my thumb and index finger wrapping around, right below the red ring, and pull down.
  • 14mm wrench to hold onto the retaining nut beneath the shift knob. Rotate counterclockwise to move the knob up a little.
  • Hold the shift knob with one hand and rotate the wrench with the other in a clockwise direction to break it loose.
  • Unscrew both the shift knob then the retaining nut by rotating counter clockwise.
Remove the side trims/boomerangs around the shifter
  • Use a trim removal tool to pry off the trim pieces that flank the shift knob on either side and move up towards the infotainment screen.
  • The trim pieces are attached by clips, avoid breaking clips, but you do have to be firm and yank them out.
Remove shift boot assembly
  • Screws hold the shift boot in place and must be removed. I forget how many and where though.
  • Pull out the shift boot assembly that is clipped in, but don’t yank too hard, there are electrical connections underneath.
  • Unplug the electrical connections. They have a small tap that locks them into place, so press on the tab and pull out the cable. There are some on both sides (I think 3 in total).
This will remove the shift boot assembly, it includes the trim portion that holds the badge plate of the Type R. There are a few screws that hold this in place. If you’re just after replacing the shift boot (and not the assembly itself), the shift boot can be removed from the underside. I don’t remember how it’s held in place since I only replaced a 2018 assembly with a 2020 one.

98-0425

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Type-R #12307, 98 Integra Type-R #0425, 07 Pilot EX-L, 17 Pilot Elite
Country flag
Instructions for the 2020 is the same as 2017-2019. The boot ring is clipped to the shift knob nut. For some reason, it is clipped on tougher on 2020. I use a plastic pry tool to provide extra leverage to separate the ring from the nut, then use my other hand to pull down. You can use a flathead but run the risk of marring the boot ring, knob, or both.

OP
OP
JDM Power

JDM Power

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Instructions for the 2020 is the same as 2017-2019. The boot ring is clipped to the shift knob nut. For some reason, it is clipped on tougher on 2020. I use a plastic pry tool to provide extra leverage to separate the ring from the nut, then use my other hand to pull down. You can use a flathead but run the risk of marring the boot ring, knob, or both.
I understand your advices, I tried to pull the shift boot down, but I didn’t succed without damages.
I succeded only to create a little 3 mm gap between the black sway and the red ring, but not all around, and then I was affraid to continue, because I wondered where is right to insert the pry tool.
My question is where to insert the pry tool, between the red ring and the shift knob, or between the red ring and the sway ?
I didn’t understand if the red ring must to go down together with the black sway or not.
Any help will be much appreciated. Thank you very much.

BoostinIX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SI Sedan
Country flag
I understand your advices, I tried to pull the shift boot down, but I didn’t succed without damages.
I succeded only to create a little 3 mm gap between the black sway and the red ring, but not all around, and then I was affraid to continue, because I wondered where is right to insert the pry tool.
My question is where to insert the pry tool, between the red ring and the shift knob, or between the red ring and the sway ?
I didn’t understand if the red ring must to go down together with the black sway or not.
Any help will be much appreciated. Thank you very much.
The red ring is attached to the suede boot. You're separating the silver shift knob from the red ring.

OP
OP
JDM Power

JDM Power

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The red ring is attached to the suede boot. You're separating the silver shift knob from the red ring.
Did you do this operation on your 2020 model ? How was your experience ? Did you use a pry tool, or just pulled it down only by the fingers ?

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Did you do this operation on your 2020 model ? How was your experience ? Did you use a pry tool, or just pulled it down only by the fingers ?
Both work to be honest. The first time around, it may be easier with a pry tool (trim removal tool), but if you do it enough, it will get easier to do with your hands (you hold it with your fingers, but you really use your hands to pull down). Also depends on the shift knob that's on the car as well.

Learn2turn

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Toyota Longbed PU, '95 (Drift Toy) Miata, '05 Tuned Gran Prix White S2000, '19 Championship White C-Type R
Country flag
Just curious...
What are you going to do in that area?

OP
OP
JDM Power

JDM Power

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Just curious...
What are you going to do in that area?
Haha, of course, I will satisfy your curiosity. I want to install the “Genuine Honda Access Interior Console Illumination Strip” - SKU: 08E16-TEA-010A.

OP
OP
JDM Power

JDM Power

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I succeded to remove the shift boot, but with my own method.
First, with everything untouched, I rotated the shift knob with enough force, counterclockwise, and unscrewed it completely. Then, I pulled it up the shift boot, together with the red ring (it deatached very easy from the nut mounted on the shifter lever).
That’s all. Everyting is very fine, with absolute zero damage.
Anyway, the two clips inside the red ring are very strong, like in the picture below :
Honda Civic 10th gen 2020 FK8 - How can I remove the shift boot ? 5071B281-FD58-43B1-812B-190C3BAAA886

Last edited:

Ant's_efcee1

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 acura integra gs 2019 honda civic si sedan
Country flag
I succeded to remove the shift boot, but with my own method.
First, with everything untouched, I rotated the shift knob with enough force, counterclockwise, and unscrewed it completely. Then, I pulled it up the shift boot, together with the red ring (it deatached very easy from the nut mounted on the shifter lever).
That’s all. Everyting is very fine, with absolute zero damage.
Anyway, the two clips inside the red ring are very strong, like in the picture below :
5071B281-FD58-43B1-812B-190C3BAAA886.jpeg
Would you happen to know the part number for your shift boot?

MeetThePete

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R, 2005 S2000, 1985 Corolla GTS
Country flag
Bumping this thread for other 2020/2021 owners struggling with removing their shift knob and panel. I used @JDM Power ‘s method to successfully remove my shift knob and panel without any damage like the ones that would occur from using traditional prying methods used for 2017-2019 variants. Indeed the locking tabs within the shift boot collar ring in 2020+ models are much stronger and don’t give way easily like those found in older models.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2020 FK8 - How can I remove the shift boot ? 2591BCEE-E448-4395-8405-BFBB37F7AC09

Grip the shifter and turn counterclockwise HARD. After about 180 degrees it broke loose. Even with the knob removed I couldn’t push the red ring down from the lock nut.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2020 FK8 - How can I remove the shift boot ? 50F94390-69DA-4C59-8C8B-53C6ECA3B508
However, the ring easily pulls upwards from the locking nut. No damage done to the shift collar, locking nut, or shifter threads ?