InkedHisto

First Name
Fabian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
what's up guys.. so I've been doing my research for a month now trying to find the right intake for this car. I've come down to 3 main choices, but unfortunately all three seem to have their problems.

My First 2 choices are "boxed" short ram intake systems that I prefer:

1. The Mishimoto: Loving the closes box system and in the past I've always went with their front mounts. From the threads I've been reading on here, they have been having a lot of ECU issues with throwing up errors on the dashboard. Some people have had luck but most people claim its a horrible design.
https://www.mishimoto.com/honda-civic-type-r-performance-air-intake-2017.html

2. PRL:
https://prlmotorsports.com/2017CivicType-rfk8.aspx
Once again, a closed short ram system i like. Ive used their products before and had no issues. Now with the type R.. its mostly a cosmetic issue with screws coming off randomly after tightening or the hose design being to short and their customer service not being so great. I've read comments to where people randomly have systems errors popping up

3. Finally, there's the Injen "Cold" air intake:
https://injen.com/n-29-injen-short-...018-honda-civic-type-r-fk8-i4-2-0l-turbo.html
now ive heard nothing but good things from these guys. But from what i understand people are complaining alot about the "heat seak" which I get. Ive seen dyno runs reaching as far as 330hp but the following 2 runs would drop back down to the 290s due to torque management or blaming it on the heat...

HkS I heard was a lost cause so nvm that.. and also I dont feel like spending $1,300 on a intake system I shall not name.

So my question is... whats the damn right choice out there?

Honda Civic 10th gen 2020 CTR Intake Choices: MMAI-CTR-17_1_4

Honda Civic 10th gen 2020 CTR Intake Choices: CTRHVIFullAssembly1

Honda Civic 10th gen 2020 CTR Intake Choices: sp1583_npr_1_

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
Get whatever you think makes the best noise and is least resistant to heat soak, i.e., don't get an open box intake.

The factory intake isn't a limitation for this car. It's the fuel system. Just to be super clear, aftermarket intakes do not add power to the car. In fact, some intakes are worse because they pull in hotter air than the factory.

OP
OP
InkedHisto

InkedHisto

First Name
Fabian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Get whatever you think makes the best noise and is least resistant to heat soak, i.e., don't get an open box intake.

The factory intake isn't a limitation for this car. It's the fuel system. Just to be super clear, aftermarket intakes do not add power to the car. In fact, some intakes are worse because they pull in hotter air than the factory.
I always understood that aftermarket intakes dont help much with turbo systems. I mainly get it for the esthetic look and sound since our CTRs are so damn quiet. Its just more on deciding which has the less flaws I guess.

Mat8754

First Name
Syed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
So I was in your same boat but it seems most intakes may actually worsen performance and temps for this car. I wanted to add some sound and at least keep performance and temps the same as stock. Eventually decided to go with the PRL HVI, it seems like the only reasonable choice

OP
OP
InkedHisto

InkedHisto

First Name
Fabian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
So I was in your same boat but it seems most intakes may actually worsen performance and temps for this car. I wanted to add some sound and at least keep performance and temps the same as stock. Eventually decided to go with the PRL HVI, it seems like the only reasonable choice
When u received urs, did u also have the same issue as others? Screws falling off the side of the box, silicone hose not fitting correctly, any errors on the dashboard?

arbies

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Blue Civic Sedan Touring
Country flag
Just installed the PRL HVI on my 2020 CTR a few weeks ago. No issues with the install. Sounds amazing. Errors on the dashboard were a result of disconnecting the battery, but those cleared up relatively quickly.

Rich19Si

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
The most important question not asked. What’s your goal? Stock has shown to provide most power while also filtering the most. I wouldn’t spend so much money on something that will decrease performance, unless you want to hear the bypass valve.

Tev42

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
+1 for PRL. I put mine on last weekend and drove 500 miles this week with it on. I love it.

I’m not gonna try and claim that I experience a huge gain in power. PRL claims +12 HP without a tune. Maybe it does, idk. But the sound is phenomenal. When you get on the throttle and go to shift, the sound will make you smile

Dabeast

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Type R
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
+1 for PRL. I put mine on last weekend and drove 500 miles this week with it on. I love it.

I’m not gonna try and claim that I experience a huge gain in power. PRL claims +12 HP without a tune. Maybe it does, idk. But the sound is phenomenal. When you get on the throttle and go to shift, the sound will make you smile
Any issues with fitment or other install issues?

Tev42

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Any issues with fitment or other install issues?
I have read a few things on here about people trying to start their car afterwards and not being able to.
I did not have that problem. After the install, my car started and I got the normal notifications since I disconnected the battery but that all went away after I drove off.

the silicone hose is a bit tough to squeeze into place but I eventually got it. Definitely the toughest part but all in all the whole job only took an hour and a half

I would recommend changing the transmission fluid while doing the intake install. You have to remove the intake to access the transmission fill plug so it works out. I used AC Delco Friction modified fluid and the transmission feels awesome

martindtjr

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Vehicle(s)
TYPE R 19, Sienna XLE15, Xa 06, Camry 92
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have read a few things on here about people trying to start their car afterwards and not being able to.
I did not have that problem. After the install, my car started and I got the normal notifications since I disconnected the battery but that all went away after I drove off.

the silicone hose is a bit tough to squeeze into place but I eventually got it. Definitely the toughest part but all in all the whole job only took an hour and a half

I would recommend changing the transmission fluid while doing the intake install. You have to remove the intake to access the transmission fill plug so it works out. I used AC Delco Friction modified fluid and the transmission feels awesome
Mishimoto is my 2nd choice. Only due to I'm in CA. It has a Carb EO.
PRL HVI would be my 1st choice. Stock is way too quiet..