2020 CTR 4th Gear Lockout, only when cold...is this common?

• Thread starter Deleted member 44294
  • Start date
  • Watchers 5

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Well, I rather have my gf lock out on me instead of my car. At least then I can enjoy my type R flawlessly and sleep in it too.

But, seriously, stop joking about it because I fking hate the grind and lockouts. I want to rev all the way to red line and shift without worrying.
You can, just take your time doing the actual shift. This tranny doesn't like to have it's shifter forced around/banged; be controlled, but deliberate with your inputs while shifting (clutch and shifter).
Sponsored

Litfuse

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered CTR
Country flag
Well, I rather have my gf lock out on me instead of my car. At least then I can enjoy my type R flawlessly and sleep in it too.

But, seriously, stop joking about it because I fking hate the grind and lockouts. I want to rev all the way to red line and shift without worrying.
My statement was half joking half seriousness. I have owned a lot of cars and have never experienced lockout on a transmission. Well, besides I simple reverse into first because the synchros were slightly off.

SiR

First Name
nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, 2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
You can, just take your time doing the actual shift. This tranny doesn't like to have it's shifter forced around/banged; be controlled, but deliberate with your inputs while shifting (clutch and shifter).
I banged the gears in my 10th gen Si, I banged in Lancer evo, I banged in wrx sti..... Why Honda? Whyyyyyy? I want to bang my type r too, because she's so good...

SiR

First Name
nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My statement was half joking half seriousness. I have owned a lot of cars and have never experienced lockout on a transmission. Well, besides I simple reverse into first because the synchros were slightly off.
The hate is true, but i'm pretty chill, I was half joking too.

Grats on the CTR, what did you order? 2021 LE in yellow? 2021 in PPM? .... I wish you don't get those issues we have.

Litfuse

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered CTR
Country flag
The hate is true, but i'm pretty chill, I was half joking too.

Grats on the CTR, what did you order? 2021 LE in yellow? 2021 in PPM? .... I wish you don't get those issues we have.
Thanks. It’s a 2021 in CW.

I find it disappointing that a manufacturer in this day and age struggles to make a flawless manual transmission. I bought a slightly used 1985 Honda Accord many many years ago that I could bang through the gears with little recourse. That was over thirty years ago. Not much has needed to change with the manual transmission since then or even twenty years before that. The biggest changes have been in the areas of safety and efficiency for the automobile. The improvements in safety have lead to fewer deaths on our roads, but maybe at a cost of driver engagement with all the driver aides added to a car. Probably a trade most would be willing to do. Efficiency has been an interesting development to follow to lower emissions and increase performance. The trade off there may be long term reliability. But the manual transmission, come on, let’s get it right for the last one percenters who are holding on!

AntsFK8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rallye Red Civic Type R
Country flag
Intermittently occurs only when driving for the first time in the morning . Just rolling through the gears and when I try to put it into fourth it’s like there is a mechanical block stopping me . I have tried to pay attention to make sure I’m pushing the clutch pedal fully to the floor and to see if it’s me with a bad technique or it is the transmission and it is definitely not me . Doesn’t happen too often but wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this and what the resolution was ?
I myself have experienced the fourth gear lockout! I thought I was crazy, because I was shifting properly and it still happened.

SiR

First Name
nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks. It’s a 2021 in CW.

I find it disappointing that a manufacturer in this day and age struggles to make a flawless manual transmission. I bought a slightly used 1985 Honda Accord many many years ago that I could bang through the gears with little recourse. That was over thirty years ago. Not much has needed to change with the manual transmission since then or even twenty years before that. The biggest changes have been in the areas of safety and efficiency for the automobile. The improvements in safety have lead to fewer deaths on our roads, but maybe at a cost of driver engagement with all the driver aides added to a car. Probably a trade most would be willing to do. Efficiency has been an interesting development to follow to lower emissions and increase performance. The trade off there may be long term reliability. But the manual transmission, come on, let’s get it right for the last one percenters who are holding on!
Exactly. If I'm spending that much $ for your hardcore performance car, at least know the audience, and let me enjoy like old days. Even made me miss the last gen Si sometimes.

TypeRHelvetia

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
The Type R is quite a serious performance car and shifting can be a bit more deliberate. The engine makes up for any lost shift time.

princeRS

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
130 miles on my new car and getting it in 2nd 3rd and 4th gear. not terrible but its deff annoying having just spent $40k

juang1985

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GOLF R MK7
Country flag
Waiting for my 2021 Type R to Arrive reading about possible transmission issues. I know couple of owners of 2017 type Rs and they dont have any issues.

I was hoping 2021 models would be cure from this issue that seems to affect a few people but not all. Crossing fingers my typer R is a good one.

I never drive my car like I stole it. I would not consider my self gentle with the car... I probably fall somewhere in between. I wonder if maybe owners having this issue go really hard on their cars? Just a thought since I don t know enough about these cars just yet

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
You'll get the lockout at some point. I usually get it during commuting when slowing down on highway, downshifting from 5th to 4th. It's a quirk of the car - with the design of the linkages.

If you get a lockout upshifting that's a problem,

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
Had the occasional lock out upshifting into 4th, like it would go partially in but not fully engage.

On the factory OEM fluid, it seemed to happen less frequently after it was broken in. Couldn't tell you how frequent since it was still pretty rare.

After swapping the fluid out to AC Delco Syncromesh Friction Modified it hasnt happened since. I have about 600 miles on the new fluid. Also, so far it has eliminated any hangups getting into Reverse (i also always shift into a forward gear before engaging Reverse).

I will echo the fact that the transmission is not "fast". You cant really upshift without a pause in neutral aka "granny shifting". Can't slam gears upshifting as the syncros need time to work. My guess is some of the grinds and resulting damage are caused by user error.

If you are curious about changing fluid to whatever, check out my maintenance videos in my sig.

Last edited:

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I'm going on 57k miles right now. Haven't had a 4th gear lockout in at least about 45k miles. I've had no grinds where I couldn't remove user error as a possible cause in the same amount of time as well. Shifting in generally became a little smoother and less tight with time. I'm still on OEM fluids.

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
I'm going on 57k miles right now. Haven't had a 4th gear lockout in at least about 45k miles. I've had no grinds where I couldn't remove user error as a possible cause in the same amount of time as well. Shifting in generally became a little smoother and less tight with time. I'm still on OEM fluids.
Have you ever changed it - or is it still the original fill

SmokeGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type r
Country flag
just 1200 miles but i have never had a grind.

my last car had a mt82 transmission(mustang gt) and you couldnt bang on it like manuals of old.
so it basically trained me to be have a tiny pause after moving out of gear then going into the next one.
Sponsored