2020 CTR 4th Gear Lockout, only when cold...is this common?

• Thread starter Deleted member 44294
  • Start date
  • Watchers 5

Deleted member 44294

Intermittently occurs only when driving for the first time in the morning . Just rolling through the gears and when I try to put it into fourth it’s like there is a mechanical block stopping me . I have tried to pay attention to make sure I’m pushing the clutch pedal fully to the floor and to see if it’s me with a bad technique or it is the transmission and it is definitely not me . Doesn’t happen too often but wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this and what the resolution was ?
Sponsored

SiR

First Name
nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, 2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
I have a 2020 type R, and I can tell you, the second gear grind, and 1st, 4th gear lock out are still there. Doesn't happen often, but exist nonetheless. I'm still breaking in the car, but eventually I will adjust the clutch freeplay and change transmission oil to see if things change.

OP
OP

Deleted member 44294

I have a 2020 type R, and I can tell you, the second gear grind, and 1st, 4th gear lock out are still there. Doesn't happen often, but exist nonetheless. I'm still breaking in the car, but eventually I will adjust the clutch freeplay and change transmission oil to see if things change.
So, does Honda acknowledge these issues? Any TSB’s? I hate to play whack a mole with a dealer going back-and-forth saying that they cannot replicate the problem since it’s intermittent just don’t wanna waste my time with them

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
How many miles to you have? I can tell you now my car has randomly done it on downshifts regardless of temperature, but with additional mileage it has become rarer.

OP
OP

Deleted member 44294

How many miles to you have? I can tell you now my car has randomly done it on downshifts regardless of temperature, but with additional mileage it has become rarer.
I am about 2500 miles it has only done it as I’m shifting up not down

OP
OP

Deleted member 44294

It happens on my car too... as I drive my car more (i have 1800kms on the clock) it seems to be happening less...
If I hold the gear shift selector right at the gate where it wants to go into fourth it feels like a physical blockage there

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
The FK8's shifter is very picky on how you shift. You can't really shift aggressively or even attempt to bang gears. The best way I could explain it is to move the shifter in two steps when going from gear to gear. You'll feel a notch in the middle as it rebounds to center and you push it further along. Slow down a little as it starts to hit center, then give it an additional push to get it into gear.

nick_takov

First Name
Nikola
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R R-21190
Country flag
It will go away as you put some miles on , you will still get it here and there sometimes. I still get 4th gear lockouts after 38k miles either downshifting or upshifting but it is really really rare now maybe once in a month if even that often , don't matter what's the temperature but it does occur from time to time. I didn't even bother with the dealer since I would end up with the usual "We cAn nOt rEpLicAtE tHe IsSuE" :banghead: As for 2nd gear grinds, never had any problems with it after putting in Acuity full short shifter assembly about 10k miles ago and changing transmission fluid.

My suggestion is once you do your first oil change swap out the transmission fluid and see if its any difference(which probably will be) it will shift a bit smoother but that is about it that you can do about it.

415_CTR

First Name
Felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
I have a 2020 also and I would get the 4th gear lockout a lot . I now have 7k miles on it and I have not been locked out for a few thousand miles

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
What RPM does this occur at?

SiR

First Name
nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So, does Honda acknowledge these issues? Any TSB’s? I hate to play whack a mole with a dealer going back-and-forth saying that they cannot replicate the problem since it’s intermittent just don’t wanna waste my time with them
What RPM does this occur at?
First week driving the new car, I did a quick race style shift from first gear at around 6000 rpm to test the acceleration, then there was this ugly metal mashing sound while going to 2nd gear. I knew I had the infamous 2nd gear grind then....

After that I just go easy from 1st to 2nd at lower rpm shift, and slower shift. Never had another grind since then. No, it's not about driving skills. I always do my shifts properly with clutch all the way in. Never had a issue with my Si, and I drove it much harder than my type R with quick shifts all day long.

SiR

First Name
nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The only lockout I expect from my new CTR that I pickup on Saturday is the lockout from my house because my wife is upset that it is my third car in the garage!
Well, I rather have my gf lock out on me instead of my car. At least then I can enjoy my type R flawlessly and sleep in it too.

But, seriously, stop joking about it because I fking hate the grind and lockouts. I want to rev all the way to red line and shift without worrying.
Sponsored