OctaneFix Magazine
First Name
Dominic
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.octanefix.com
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Civic Type R 2020, 96 Jetta VR6, 71' Corvette LS6, 72 240Z, 97 Supercharged Maxima A32
Country flag
I've read online you need to 'Jailbreak' the ECU in order to tune it...
And for 2020, with hondata you need to send them the ECU... Is this something that will change overtime or as 2020 owners, we'll always need to send them the ECU ?

I just wanna know how it'll work.
Sponsored

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I've read online you need to 'Jailbreak' the ECU in order to tune it...
And for 2020, with hondata you need to send them the ECU... Is this something that will change overtime or as 2020 owners, we'll always need to send them the ECU ?

I just wanna know how it'll work.
You jailbreak once for the 2020 models, requires you to send them your ECU at the current time. Whether they'll come out with a jailbreak that doesn't require them to do it themselves is unknown (they literally don't know). That said, after it's jailbroken, you can flash it as much as you want and do what you want with it.

Edit: note jailbreaking an ECU doesn't change the performance of it as it still leaves it stock, just with the ability to tinker and change what you want on it.

OP
OP
dom_dub

dom_dub

OctaneFix Magazine
First Name
Dominic
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.octanefix.com
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Civic Type R 2020, 96 Jetta VR6, 71' Corvette LS6, 72 240Z, 97 Supercharged Maxima A32
Country flag
You jailbreak once for the 2020 models, requires you to send them your ECU at the current time. Whether they'll come out with a jailbreak that doesn't require them to do it themselves is unknown (they literally don't know). That said, after it's jailbroken, you can flash it as much as you want and do what you want with it.

Edit: note jailbreaking an ECU doesn't change the performance of it as it still leaves it stock, just with the ability to tinker and change what you want on it.
Can the Honda Dealership see the jailbreak if the car is flashed back to stock ?

turbociv910

First Name
taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SGP Civic Type R, Audi Q5
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Can the Honda Dealership see the jailbreak if the car is flashed back to stock ?
they can see a flash counter im pretty sure.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
They’ll be able to see the mileage from the last time it was flashed/reset. Even if you remove the jailbreak, they’ll know it was done recently.

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
8rotor already linked it, but my megathread on tuning and parts has pretty much everything you'll ever want to know... except for this, which I need to add:

As part of the OBD2 standard, it still records 'miles since last flash'. There's no way around that without being bench flashed. They can't prove anything else. However, I've never heard of anyone actually getting denied any service because of a flash.

The only time that's gonna be the case is if you have an actual major engine failure - the rest of your warranty will not be void. If your engine blows as part of your tune, you shouldn't really be trying to claim warranty anyways.

That being said, we have no documented instances of major engine failure on a Hondata or KTuner basemap, with the exception of people laying on the antilag like it's a rally car. You have to have a really dangerous tune uploaded to do any huge, immediate damage. Our blocks are dummy thicc and our ECUs are whip smart.

Regarding not having to send in your ECU - that may never happen. I wouldn't wait. They hope to make it possible, but just because it happened on the 2017-2019 doesn't mean it'll happen on the 2020+. Normally, any tunes have to be cryptographically signed by the manufacturer - the Hondata unit breaks that verification, but only once they've figured out an exploit to do so via the OBD2 port. Sending it in is easier because they have direct electrical access to the various components inside. They may never find said exploit. We didn't have it for the 2017-2019 models for over a year from the original Hondata release.

Rich19Si

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Yes, any particular reason why this would be a concern? A warranty would only be an issue if damage is caused by the tune. It would be shady to hide from the dealer. Risks come with a tune, if you’re willing to use one, ethically.
Sponsored

Last edited: