Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hondata.com
Vehicle(s)
23' Type R,22' Civic Si,18' Accord 2.0T,17' FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
About jailbreaking by sending the ECU in - we'll post when we have a better idea about turn around times. The staff who do the jailbreaking are not working from the office, plus there are disruptions with pickup and delivery still. Probably we'll end up doing jailbreaks one day per week.
Sponsored

Centripetal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 RSX Type S, 2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
This is interesting stuff. Do you mind sharing why having physical access to the ECM makes jailbreaking more easy? Do you have to physically open the ECM and get access to the board?

For instant jailbreak, are you essentially getting privileged access to the ECM via an API vulnerability? Is this why you can instant jailbreak with just an OBD2 connection?
Ethically, this is a little tough to answer. I want to answer your questions fully but I also don't feel right posting such content on the world wide web.

In security terms, it is a larger attack surface when the ECU is open. For example, the IO to debug/program (JTAG is common) and the bootmode pins when you have access to the board. If you want to understand this more, I suggest you search for "fix bricked router".

You do not *have to* open the ECU but it may be more practical. I would be surprised if there wasn't a way to (re)program the ECU without opening it because a manufacture would not want the expense of swapping out the ECU if there was a recall or an update need (fuel dilution comes to mind). This would likely be performed through the OBD2 connector. However, it does not mean that will be easy. For example, brute force cracking encryption can take lots of data collection and computation and therefore time and resources. If the manufacture recycles encryption keys, that means using more ECUs will help cracking the encryption. VW used a handful of encription keys and eventually somebody cracked millions of their cars. In contrast, if each ECU had its own key, then it would be very difficult to crack but it would also be expensive for the manufacture to manage all those keys.

The biggest security hole will be people and their incentives. For example, "we do not have time to lock down the ECU and go through verification again.".

OP
OP
Hondata

Hondata

Hondata
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hondata.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Obviously we can't give the exact process, but we do not need to open the ECU to jailbreak it.

Asymmetric signing keys are usually in a chain so that the loss of one private key does not invalidate all others.

K20CYA

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I recently saw a YouTube video from a guy named TTorres I believe, in the video he was shown sending out his ECU with a brief tutorial on how to properly remove the unit he also claimed his turn around time was a mere 2 days thats minimal down time in my opinion. Although the instant jailbreak would be most convenient 2 days is very fast. Can't wait to get this done I recently picked up a 2020 myself, coming from an accord 2.0 sport

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
I recently saw a YouTube video from a guy named TTorres I believe, in the video he was shown sending out his ECU with a brief tutorial on how to properly remove the unit he also claimed his turn around time was a mere 2 days thats minimal down time in my opinion. Although the instant jailbreak would be most convenient 2 days is very fast. Can't wait to get this done I recently picked up a 2020 myself, coming from an accord 2.0 sport
I saw that too. I believe he went with Ktuner. If you plan to go with Hondata Flashpro, I would wait until Hondata starts accepting mail in jailbreaking service. I believe Hondata cannot guarantee other jailbreaking methods will be compatible with Flashpro.

With COVID, I think we’re all driving less, so many of the 2020 owners are probably still in “break in” mode. I haven’t even hit 400 miles yet.

turbociv910

First Name
taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SGP Civic Type R, Audi Q5
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I saw that too. I believe he went with Ktuner. If you plan to go with Hondata Flashpro, I would wait until Hondata starts accepting mail in jailbreaking service. I believe Hondata cannot guarantee other jailbreaking methods will be compatible with Flashpro.

With COVID, I think we’re all driving less, so many of the 2020 owners are probably still in “break in” mode. I haven’t even hit 400 miles yet.
same, at 130

K20CYA

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Just over 400 here, 290 from trip home from dealer but trip well worth it cause they sold it to me for msrp

LoganP

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type-R #2338 (SOLD) - 2020 Honda Civic Type-R #XXXX (In Production)
Country flag
Yikes, I can't help myself & am already over 1,200 :dunno:

SW20MR2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MR2
Country flag
Read post #22
If I understand correctly, instant jailbreak is different than remote jailbreak to new ecu...Hondata gets new ecu, jailbreaks it at their facility based on serial number for specific car and then sends that ecu to the buyer. But I might misunderstand the process...

OP
OP
Hondata

Hondata

Hondata
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hondata.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No, that would be a 'remote clone', which is not the same as a regular jailbreak or instant jailbreak. We're not offering remote clone for the 2020.

SW20MR2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MR2
Country flag
No, that would be a 'remote clone', which is not the same as a regular jailbreak or instant jailbreak. We're not offering remote clone for the 2020.
Will you? Hopefully? At some point in 2020...

FK8Guy

Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR FK8
Country flag
can you put a unlocked 2018 ECU in a 2020? Or does the 2020 ECU rely on the new dampening program and all the other new tech on the 2020 vs previous years?

SW20MR2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MR2
Country flag
can you put a unlocked 2018 ECU in a 2020? Or does the 2020 ECU rely on the new dampening program and all the other new tech on the 2020 vs previous years?
I am pretty sure you cannot do that since Hondata would support 2020 remote clone to swap 2017-2019 ecu into 2020
Sponsored