2020 Civic Type R Reviews Compilation

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
I couldn't justify $45K for the Yaris......
I'm sure after taxes you spent that much on a Civic. It's really not that different. The Yaris is actually more bespoke than the CTR anyway. Not even made on the same assembly line as a normal Yaris.

TheGreekFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BB CTR, '23 SO 4Runner TRD Pro
Country flag
I'm sure after taxes you spent that much on a Civic. It's really not that different. The Yaris is actually more bespoke than the CTR anyway. Not even made on the same assembly line as a normal Yaris.
Well, after taxes, the Yaris is that much more (and some) too. I believe I was at or under around $42K for the CTR after taxes and fees, but I feel the car's performance and usability justified that price.

I get the process in developing the Yaris and how its a homologation special.....but what does that actually mean in terms of a daily?

The result, by most measurable metrics, is it falls short of the CTR in the performance and practicality categories. You can make a fun factor argument or how the AWD helps close the gap with the CTR on the right track....but it still underperforms the R yet costs $7K more.

I don't see any value in choosing it over a CTR at that price.

MediaMaster

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR, 2024 Ford Maverick
Country flag
Well, after taxes, the Yaris is that much more (and some) too. I believe I was at or under around $42K for the CTR after taxes and fees, but I feel the car's performance and usability justified that price.

I get the process in developing the Yaris and how its a homologation special.....but what does that actually mean in terms of a daily?

The result, by most measurable metrics, is it falls short of the CTR in the performance and practicality categories. You can make a fun factor argument or how the AWD helps close the gap with the CTR on the right track....but it still underperforms the R yet costs $7K more.

I don't see any value in choosing it over a CTR at that price.
The 2020 CTR is 37,950 with dealer delivery charges. So with state taxes and license etc of 2200.00 mine was just over 40K

TheGreekFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The 2020 CTR is 37,950 with dealer delivery charges. So with state taxes and license etc of 2200.00 mine was just over 40K
The base MSRP on mine was $37,495 (now its up to $37,895 in 2021) before the $995 destination. They also add an extra $395 charge for "premium" colors, which my boost blue falls under. That + taxes and fees took me over $41K.

FLRib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R FK8 2021
Country flag
Auto Express Track Battle time:
CTR 2020 - 47.10
GR Yaris - 47.90

Sil98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Type R, '08 Kia Sorento, '03 WRX, '97 Del Sol Si, '90 Supercharged TA
Country flag
Auto Express Track Battle time:
CTR 2020 - 47.10
GR Yaris - 47.90
According to the video the Yaris is ~5% cheaper in the UK (where you can actually buy one).

A 2021 Mini Cooper Works GP dethroned the Civic Type R in Car and Driver's latest Lightning Lap but it has a price of $45,750.

Even if the price on all three cars was the same i'd still choose the Type R.

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
According to the video the Yaris is ~5% cheaper in the UK (where you can actually buy one).

A 2021 Mini Cooper Works GP dethroned the Civic Type R in Car and Driver's latest Lightning Lap but it has a price of $45,750.

Even if the price on all three cars was the same i'd still choose the Type R.
If I didn’t have to consider practicality, I’d probably buy the Yaris if it was sold here. The R won out for me because it has a large backseat and trunk space for my kid. Not a fan of the Mini though. I’d probably never consider it.

TheGreekFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The new goRf is stupid fast. I suspect it will remain a far more numbed experience overall than the CTR. I'm still excited to drive one.
Agreed, if it's anything close to the last one. I actually found the GTI to be more fun to drive and bought one over the MK7 golf R. My choice among the golf models if we had access to all would always be the GTI clubsport, although I think they got rid of the manual for that as well.

Like alot of these, this video was kind of pointless. AWD + DSG with similar power.....was anyone suprised?
Sponsored