OP
Bob.

Bob.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
I'm still pondering this. After reading a few posts, I was ready to go get the 2020 Si. I still am, but a few days cooling one's jets is not a bad thing, particularly with a major purchase. I've also been checking what my insurance rates would be on the 2020 Si, which has had me looking into a 2017 Si Sedan and a 2017 Sport Hatchback with a CVT (believe it or not, an $800/yr diff between the 2020 and 2017...I guess the 2020 rates would drop as time progresses).

The truth is that I've been hesitant to go with a CVT based on what I've heard, but decided to check them out. What are the opinions here? Both The CVT Hatchbacks and the sedan EX-Ts come with CVT, but also the same 1.5T Dream Earth engine. Do CVTs effect performance to the degree that they should be avoided? There's a 2018 EX-T I could probably snag for $18,500-$19,000. I'm still salivating over the Si, though.

ANother question regarding the Si...is comforatble for road trips...possibly one or two days on the road?

Opinions?
Sponsored

Last edited:

James3spearchucker

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I've been shopping Civics. I really don't want much to do with the CVT trasmissions. There are only 2 2020 Civics with the 6 speed manual shift in my area. One an Si sedan, the other a Sport sedan. All others are CVT. I've been researching the Si, and like what I see, but I'm not sure if it might be overkill for my purposes.

I generally want a daily driver that has get up and go, is comfortable for road trips and is a well performer.

I test drove the Si today (nice!) and will drive the Sport at the beginning of next week (the Sport is at a dealer 50 miles away). I think the specs of the 2020 Si are probably known here. The Sport is a 2.0L Manual @158 HP. The Si a 1.5T Manual @205HP, and also an LSD (I like that).

I am willing to pay for good performance and reliability...not for 'racing', but for power when needed and good performance.

Price aside, what's my best bet? Do I want the Si, or will the Sport serve me well? Thanks for any input.
Given your overall needs I would leave it up to the seats. Whichever is more comfortable over an extended loan or drive would be my choice. The 2.0 will be superior in many ways for you. It has 20 years of refinement. Its quieter, more rev happy, more happy on regular octane fuel, and will both warm up faster and stay warm better. Less frequent oil changes too.

olesaintnik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm still pondering this. After reading a few posts, I was ready to go get the 2020 Si. I still am, but a few days cooling one's jets is not a bad thing, particularly with a major purchase. I've also been checking what my insurance rates would be on the 2020 Si, which has had me looking into a 2017 Si Sedan and a 2017 Sport Hatchback with a CVT (believe it or not, an $800/yr diff between the 2020 and 2017...I guess the 2020 rates would drop as time progresses).

The truth is that I've been hesitant to go with a CVT based on what I've heard, but decided to check them out. What are the opinions here? Both The CVT Hatchbacks and the sedan EX-Ts come with CVT, but also the same 1.5T Dream Earth engine. Do CVTs effect performance to the degree that they should be avoided? There's a 2018 EX-T I could probably snag for $18,500-$19,000. I'm still salivating over the Si, though.

ANother question regarding the Si...is comforatble for road trips...possibly one or two days on the road?

Opinions?
I actually started with a 2016 EX-T Sedan with the 1.5T and CVT. About a year ago, I sold it and bought my 2019 Si Coupe. Honestly, the EX-T was a great car, and the CVT was very smooth and comfortable. Some people don't like that it never shifts, but it never really bothered me. The good thing about the CVT is that it can always stay in the power band without pauses for shifting when you are giving it the beans. I don't think the CVT has reliability issues from what I've seen (even though a lot of people claim it's unreliable just because of CVTs created by other companies such as Nissan). That being said, the Si has much tighter handling, more engaged drive feel, a different turbo, and stronger rods. And it's hard to beat the connected feel that a Manual transmission gives you. The good news is that you can't go wrong -- they're all great cars. However, I still am biased toward the Si ;) Both cars are good for road trips, but I personally prefer the seats in the Si to the seats in the EX-T.

Given your overall needs I would leave it up to the seats. Whichever is more comfortable over an extended loan or drive would be my choice. The 2.0 will be superior in many ways for you. It has 20 years of refinement. Its quieter, more rev happy, more happy on regular octane fuel, and will both warm up faster and stay warm better. Less frequent oil changes too.
I don't know if I'd say the 2.0 is superior.... If the car is stock, you can go 7-8k miles without changing the oil, even on the turbo model. The turbo warms and revs quickly too. I'm not sure where you're basing this information..

kaputt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Accord 5MT; 2020 Civic Sport Coupe 6MT
Country flag
I went through the same dilemma as you when looking for a car, although I was only shopping a manual transmission Sport Coupe or a Civic SI coupe. I actually ended up going with the Sport over the SI.

For starters, I am most definitely a purist at heart. The less sport modes, adaptive dampers, and turbos on a car, the better in my mind. The Sport 2.0 is very much the last of old school Honda. Simple, naturally aspirated, reliable, fun to drive, and affordable to run and buy. I drove the SI and Sport back to back and that old school nature is what really sold me on it, plus I liked the look of the Sport slightly better. The SI is a hell of a car, don't get me wrong, but I'd urge you to maybe drive the Sport and see if it might fit what you're looking for a little bit better. The only thing I really miss from the SI is the slightly tighter and better weighted steering, but even that is a minor gripe. There is also no LSD on the Sport but a good set of grippy tires will make you not notice the lack of a limited slip diff except in the most extreme circumstances.

Also the Sport is more than just an appearance package. You get re-tuned dampers and stiffer anti roll bars, as well as a quicker steering rack than the regular Civics. Also comes with the better infotainment unit and a dark headliner. No sunroof, but that was a positive for me.

Bottom line, if you have any memory of old school Honda's, this will be the closest you can get today.

James3spearchucker

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I actually started with a 2016 EX-T Sedan with the 1.5T and CVT. About a year ago, I sold it and bought my 2019 Si Coupe. Honestly, the EX-T was a great car, and the CVT was very smooth and comfortable. Some people don't like that it never shifts, but it never really bothered me. The good thing about the CVT is that it can always stay in the power band without pauses for shifting when you are giving it the beans. I don't think the CVT has reliability issues from what I've seen (even though a lot of people claim it's unreliable just because of CVTs created by other companies such as Nissan). That being said, the Si has much tighter handling, more engaged drive feel, a different turbo, and stronger rods. And it's hard to beat the connected feel that a Manual transmission gives you. The good news is that you can't go wrong -- they're all great cars. However, I still am biased toward the Si ;) Both cars are good for road trips, but I personally prefer the seats in the Si to the seats in the EX-T.

I don't know if I'd say the 2.0 is superior.... If the car is stock, you can go 7-8k miles without changing the oil, even on the turbo model. The turbo warms and revs quickly too. I'm not sure where you're basing this information..
From maintenance standpoint, the NA motor is easier and less maintenance. Ask any Honda owner of B series and K series motors if their engines are more or less maintenance than the infamous L15B7. They will laugh at the question although with the extra overhead, the K20 or K24 may be pumping over 400 even 500 horsepower, via custom turbo, along with the advantages of port injection. If you know anything about maintenance and oil, port injected motors keep cleaner valves and the fuel has more time for atomization. The porting of the head is far superior because Honda designed the cast head for maximum velocity. The DI 1.5T was designed for maximum tumble and it still suffers insufficient atomization when cold. In terms of creation of particulate soot, DI cars are 5x m-10x dirtier than port-injected so their are worse for your exhaust system and the environment. As for winter driving in the South it doesn't matter but for a real winter environment, I have driven my 1.5T while seeing the engine simultaneously get colder. Its crazy but its documented fact that the 1.5T needs active shutters, which is something the Accord has. In sub zero it takes over ten minutes to fully warm up and -15 below zero even longer. Driving around town it may never get fully warm. From a purely aesthetic point of view the 2.0 features a balance shaft and feels smoother than the 1.5T. The design of NA pistons is often easier tighter and a different alloy with more silicon content, and it can warm up faster and be a little quieter.

As I mentioned, seats are a personal preference and since there are three very different seats, they can make a big difference on comfort. The base seats can be found with electric adjust as well.

justasimpleman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 PWP FC1 Si
Country flag
Almost in the same boat... I had a sport a year ago, and loved it... ended up trading it in for an ex hatch. I might be looking into getting a second civic, and sport is what I think I’ll be getting, but I think I’m close to talking the wife into getting an si... I’ve never drove an si, but the sport was great for what it was. I’m assuming the si will be much more fun to drive, and have all the extras my ex hatch has.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag

Opinions?
The CVT in the Civic is excellent, I feel it gives up nothing vs an automatic. I don't mind at all when they give me a CVT Sport sedan as a loaner. If you've driven a CVT in a Subaru or Nissan, the Honda is much better. It's better even than our 2020 Subaru Ascent CVT.

I think the base seats might be more comfortable than the Si seats cause you can move around in them a lot, shift your position. Can't really do that in the Si so it gets a little uncomfortable after a few hours.

yansag1982

First Name
Yanick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Coupe Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well here in canada our sport trim is LOADED...it has everything, SI upgraded black wheels, heated mirror and seats, sunroof, better audio etc. it has everything the SI has and even more...except for the performance side of it...mine has the 2.0L iVtec K20c2 engine with the 6 speed manual...the car has better brakes and re-tuned suspension compared to my previous 2016 LX Coupe (which was blue). For me personally it was an easy choice...i plan to keep this car until i grow old, she's a driveway queen right now all i do is shining and working on it. I did not want the 1.5 turbo engine for reliability and long term aging reasons.

K20C2 engine will outlast most of those 1.5t engine by a factor of 2.

...and even with the HFP aerokit, HFP wing and tinted windows was still almost 5000$CAD less than the SI. Im all about look, i don't really care performance personally i don't track it and i've had plenty of much faster cars than even a civic SI back in my time...and the limit is still 100km/h here so you can't even enjoy the thing.

Last edited:

StanMan

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
The Sedan/Coupe Sport vs Si is like:

Regular Golf vs GTI
Subaru Legacy vs WRX
Regular Ford Focus vs Ford Focus ST

The Si has substantially better handling, a substantially better shifter and gearbox, a better engine, a better suspension setup, better wheels, a better exhaust system, better seats, better pedals, better brakes, I could go on for days. There is no such thing as a car that lacks a limited slip differential that is a good driver's car- it is a bare minimum prerequisite and tuning a car without one is a complete waste of time.

There's absolutely no comparison. The Civic sport is nothing but the cheapest lowest performing Civic they can make with a couple cosmetic pieces slapped on. The Civic Si is a performance Civic. People who spend 5-10 grand modifying their non Si Civics still have a worse car than the stock Si. Imagine anyone comparing the 8th or 9th gen LX vs the 8th or 9th gen Si- it's a complete apples and oranges comparison.

yansag1982

First Name
Yanick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Coupe Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
...better wheels, a better exhaust system, I could go on for days.
You could not cause already you're stating two things that are flase...at least for the canadian model i can assure you that the wheels on our sport civic are the same as those that equip the Si for 2020...and so is the exaust system front to back.

People who spend 5-10 grand modifying their non Si Civics still have a worse car than the stock Si.
that purely depends on what you want...if you're like me and don't care about a zoom zoom semi-performing car and rather have the 5 -10 grand spend on aestetic and making the car look ridiculously cool...see what i mean? :cool:
Also, over here...police everywhere and super low speed limits...very high fines etc. so unless you track it? and would you REALLY track an Si? stock?

Youre absolutely right about the sport being everything but a true performance car...but the Si isn't that either and it cost A LOT more still.

I think it's really cool from honda to provide us a car that is loaded with options and looks good for such a good price...it's great for people like me.

StanMan

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
You could not cause already you're stating two things that are flase...at least for the canadian model i can assure you that the wheels on our sport civic are the same as those that equip the Si for 2020...and so is the exaust system front to back.
Not true at all. The Civic Sport has a look alike exhaust tip to the Si(it's not even the actual Si tip, it's a much cheaper piece)- it otherwise has the same exhaust as the Civic LX. The exhaust system is completely different on the Si.

Look, the base Civic(the sport is the base civic) is a good car in its own right. It is not a driver's car. The Si is a driver's car. It is twice the car the Civic 1.5T is, which is already a lot better than the 2.0 Civic Sport.

Type R > Si > Any Civic with 1.5T > any civic with the 2.0.

No tire on the planet is going to make up for the lack of an LSD. You put the pedal down in a non Si while cornering and you either have traction control kicking in or you're one wheel drive.
  • engine output increased to 205 HP @ 5,700 RPM (SAE net) and 192 lb-ft torque @ 2,100-5,000 RPM (SAE net)
  • higher maximum boost pressure (20.3 vs. 16.5 PSI)
  • lower compression ratio (10.3:1 vs. 10.6:1)
  • higher-capacity MHI TD025 turbocharger (9-vane vs. 11-vane)
  • helical limited-slip differential
  • larger front brake rotors (12.3" vs. 11.1" vented front and 11.1" vs. 10.2" solid rear)
  • two-mode damper system with normal and firm settings
  • SPORT mode replaces ECON mode - increases suspension damping, reduces power steering assist, increases throttle sensitivity, and raises the activation threshold of the Vehicle Stability Assist system
  • 235/40R18 91W tires vs. 215/50R17 91H
  • 7% stiffer front spring rate
  • 18% stiffer front upper damper mounts
  • 7% stiffer front stabilizer bar rate
  • Stronger engine rods
  • 32% stiffer rear spring rate
  • Solid vs. fluid-filled front and rear compliance bushings (rear shared with the Type R)
  • High-stiffness rear upper control arms (shared with the Type R)
  • 26% stiffer rear stabilizer bar rate
  • Si-specific seats with thicker side bolsters, non-adjustable headrests, and stitched "Si" logos
  • red interior stitching, gauges, and Display Audio color scheme
  • black headliner and pillar trim vs. gray in EX-T
  • front and rear facias similar to the hatchback
  • center-mounted polygonal exhaust outlet
  • higher-flowing intake system
  • 23% higher-flowing exhaust system
  • aluminum clutch, brake, and accelerator pedals
  • carbon fiber-look interior trim
  • 10% shorter shifter throw
  • leather-wrapped, aluminum shift knob
  • revised shift linkage
  • increased rigidity of shifter bracket mount
  • 450-watt audio system (same as EX-T coupe vs. 180-watt in EX-T sedan)
  • additional items in Driver Information Display including G-force meter, turbo boost gauge with PSI indication, lap timer, throttle percentage, and brake pressure
  • leather-wrapped steering wheel, shift boot, and shift knob
  • premium fuel recommended
  • tire repair kit including sealant and a 12-volt inflator replaces the compact, temporary spare
  • vanity mirrors are non-illuminated vs. illuminated
  • EPA fuel economy ratings of 28/38/32 city/highway/combined vs. 31/42/3

Civic LX/EX/EX-T/Sport/Touring are the best cars in their class- compact economy car. The Civic Si is an entry level enthusiast car.

It's an apples to oranges comparison. Do you want a car that is fun to drive and can afford an Si? There's zero reason to get a lower end Civic in that case. Can't afford an Si but want something fun to drive? A 1.5T Civic is going to be more fun than the 2.0 sport.

Edit: Took out needlessly mean verbiage.

Last edited:

yansag1982

First Name
Yanick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Coupe Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not true at all. The Civic Sport has a look alike exhaust tip to the Si(it's not even the actual Si tip, it's a much cheaper piece)- it otherwise has the same exhaust as the Civic LX. The exhaust system is completely different on the Si.
that is not true cause i had a LX coupe before and it was not the same exaust at all...this one has a nice sound to it where has the LX had no sound. Just looking at the unit under the car it's completely different.

Type R > Si > Any Civic with 1.5T > any civic with the 2.0. You got the bottom of the barrel Civic dude.
thanks for clearing this up in a super douche mean fashion F DUDE
At least it does have a reliable and strong engine that will last ages tho...and it also had a bottom of the barel price on it..

ALSO. like i SAID...a LOT of the stuff in your list that is TRUE for the US iSNT' true for canada...many of these items i do have on my car.

THESE I HAVE:

• 235/40R18 91W tires vs. 215/50R17 91H
  • red interior, gauges, and Display Audio color scheme
  • black headliner and pillar trim vs. gray in EX-T
  • center-mounted polygonal exhaust outlet
  • aluminum clutch, brake, and accelerator pedals
  • carbon fiber-look interior trim
  • leather-wrapped, aluminum shift knob
  • leather-wrapped steering wheel, shift boot, and shift knob
  • vanity mirrors are non-illuminated vs. illuminated
Also our sport coupe has sunroof, heated seat and mirrors etc. Adjustable intermitent wipers also and i don't think it does in the US...even our Si doesn't have all those.

Last edited:

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
If I look at Honda Canada's website, it shows the 2020 Sport has the 2017-2019 Si wheels, not the 2020 Si wheels. US is the same. Same website shows a "2020 Touring" with Si wheels as the cover image, dunno if that's a mistake, probably.

yansag1982

First Name
Yanick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Coupe Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If I look at Honda Canada's website, it shows the 2020 Sport has the 2017-2019 Si wheels, not the 2020 Si wheels. US is the same. Same website shows a "2020 Touring" with Si wheels as the cover image, dunno if that's a mistake, probably.
when i bought my car there was this black sport coupe 2020 and a red si coupe also 2020 and they had the same exact wheels on them, these: (this is my car the day i bought it)

Honda Civic 10th gen 2020 Civic Sport Manual or Si? IMG_20200709_100724_9

EDIT: well i don't know why that was that day but on the website it looks like you're right...those wheels look much better IMO tho (even tho i don't use them)

Maybe the red one was a 2019 si model i don't know.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2020 Civic Sport Manual or Si? IMG_20200709_100800_7