2020 Civic Sport Manual or Si?

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
Thanks for all the responses....it's helped make the decision easier. I wanted the Si anyway, so the Si it is. I'll go back to the dealer on Monday ready to buy (I hate dealing with car lots!).

I've noticed that the two Si's in this area are both manufactured in Canada. Does that present any problems for US residents as far as getting parts, etc goes?
Good choice. Don't let the scarcity convince you to pay sticker. You should be able to get $1500-$2000 off if you play hardball. I had to literally walk out on the dealer who wanted sticker. They stopped me and made a deal.

unless it's a coupe - that's probably tough, lol.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Bob.

Bob.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
I’m going to say Si... but I’m also an Si owner. Functionally, an Si even on the stock tune makes nearly 2x as much torque at 1/2 the RPMs in a marginally heavier package (2.0s dyno a shade over 100 ft-lbs at ~4000 TPM, 1.5ts close to 200 ft-lbs at ~2000 RPM). Power delivery is just very different. You’ll need a manual in a 2.0 and give it the beans if you want to be sporty. Neither car is fast... but an Si is easier to drive quicker w/o having to drive the car for all it’s worth.

The Sport is very much an appearance package... and has been for Honda’s for awhile. Just like the older Accords that kept the 4 cylinder engine but got big wheels and dual exhaust tips. Some of the bits, like using similar sized (heavy!) 18” wheels are more of a hinderance to the low-torque NA engine than anything else, IMO.

Here’s a good comparison. It discusses some of the differences the sport has over an LX.

https://www.cars.com/articles/2019-honda-civic-sport-quick-spin-sport-you-say-2-402441/

Do a very thorough drive on that Sport... then drive the more local Si one more time. Either car is good... and the Sport is a bit more tightened up suspension-wise than an LX... but it really is just a tightened up appearance package car.

If you have any thoughts of modding first more power, you can snag over 50 whp for about $450 on a reflash alone on an Si. You will never, ever get that bump in power on a K20C2 car with its reflash and every bolt on you can throw on it. So if mods are even a thought, I’d pass on the NA car. It is *not* the ~200 hp performance version of the K-series engine we’ve enjoyed from Honda in the past. If you like it... and it’s enough for you as it is... then at its lower price point, it’s still a decent option.

For my money, it’s Si or no Civic at all... but that’s me.

Good luck! Enjoy your test drives!
Yes, there is that. It'll be a while before I attempt that, though. I'll have to do some homework and also learn how it might effect the warranty. I'm sure I can get an education on that and more in this forum. I'm really glad to have stumbled across this place.

jimmyreal

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic Si sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes, there is that. It'll be a while before I attempt that, though. I'll have to do some homework and also learn how it might effect the warranty.
If you reflash the smart assumption is your drivetrain warranty is toast. If you're changing boost levels from stock it's not a stretch for Honda to say any engine, turbo, or clutch issues were caused by those changes.

I have a Hondata Flashpro + a custom tune lined up but am trying to have the patience to wait until closer to 10,000 miles and give any factory issues time to show up.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes, there is that. It'll be a while before I attempt that, though. I'll have to do some homework and also learn how it might effect the warranty. I'm sure I can get an education on that and more in this forum. I'm really glad to have stumbled across this place.
If it’s something you think you’d like in the future... then I’d say go with the 1.5t motor... regardless of trim. You’d put a pile of $$$ to just try to get the NA 2.0 to match a stock 1.5t. Unless you love the NA motor (and some do... and that’s ok as well) then the smart money is to go with the car that comes with the turbocharger stock and can be modified for more power for minimal extra $$$. The reflashes an Si have available that come free with the tuner depending on the vendor will make 2.5x torque and nearly 2x the amount of horsepower a stock NA 2.0 will make. Again... I wouldn’t consider either very fast... but a Si is substantially “less slow”.

I really do encourage you to drive the 2.0 if you haven’t already. If will give you a basis of comparison.

04sthemi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI, 2004 Dodge Ram 1500
Country flag
I started off looking at sport hatches then sport sedans, was pretty much looking for the same as you Wanted a 6spd no cvt. An well... LOL

Honda Civic 10th gen 2020 Civic Sport Manual or Si? 33C56AAE-9898-4C2A-BA60-D50972D74069

OP
OP
Bob.

Bob.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
Thanks again for all the info. I'm hyped. What starting and landing price points would y'all recommend?

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks again for all the info. I'm hyped. What starting and landing price points would y'all recommend?
I use Truecar usually to look at regional pricing which can sometimes give me an idea of room to work with due to dealer holdback (money they make even selling at invoice). I try to pay invoice. A little more. A little less. Invoice for a 2020 Si looks like $24,360 (only checked one site). If you have a trade, a good chuck of their profit will come from the resale of the trade... though you’ve got to know the value of your trade and stick with it.

Buying at invoice still represents some profit for a dealer. Paying MSRP for an Si is like making a $2,000 donation to a dealership for favor of selling you a car.

StanMan

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I've been shopping Civics. I really don't want much to do with the CVT trasmissions. There are only 2 2020 Civics with the 6 speed manual shift in my area. One an Si sedan, the other a Sport sedan. All others are CVT. I've been researching the Si, and like what I see, but I'm not sure if it might be overkill for my purposes.

I generally want a daily driver that has get up and go, is comfortable for road trips and is a well performer.

I test drove the Si today (nice!) and will drive the Sport at the beginning of next week (the Sport is at a dealer 50 miles away). I think the specs of the 2020 Si are probably known here. The Sport is a 2.0L Manual @158 HP. The Si a 1.5T Manual @205HP, and also an LSD (I like that).

I am willing to pay for good performance and reliability...not for 'racing', but for power when needed and good performance.

Price aside, what's my best bet? Do I want the Si, or will the Sport serve me well? Thanks for any input.
Civic Sport is just a rebadged LX. It is the slowest, lowest end version of the Civic. There is nothing about it whatsoever that makes it anything but an econobox. The Si is twice the car a Civic Sport/LX/EX/EXT/Touring is.

ValkenDnB

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Civic Sport is just a rebadged LX. It is the slowest, lowest end version of the Civic. There is nothing about it whatsoever that makes it anything but an econobox. The Si is twice the car a Civic Sport/LX/EX/EXT/Touring is.
Same engine, but better head unit, cloth with faux leather seats, retuned suspension, bigger rotors and different pads, along with 18 inch rims. It’s a little more than just a badge.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Same engine, but better head unit, cloth with faux leather seats, retuned suspension, bigger rotors and different pads, along with 18 inch rims. It’s a little more than just a badge.
I’ve always been interested if those 18s and stiffer suspension helped handling substantially vs an LX... and if it really made the Sport’s acceleration suffer... but I’ve never seen an instrumented test on one with hard numbers. Some NA purist reviewers gave it subjectively high marks. Some panned it. Sports have generally been more appearance packages tightened up. The 18s. The exhaust. It is tighter... with some show added. Didn’t know about extra options on the inside though.

ValkenDnB

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
I’ve always been interested if those 18s and stiffer suspension helped handling substantially vs an LX... and if it really made the Sport’s acceleration suffer... but I’ve never seen an instrumented test on one with hard numbers. Some NA purist reviewers gave it subjectively high marks. Some panned it. Sports have generally been more appearance packages tightened up. The 18s. The exhaust. It is tighter... with some show added. Didn’t know about extra options on the inside though.
Yup standard Apple CarPlay/android auto with keyless entry/start is a big selling point. You can get some decent performance out of it with a ktuner, downpipe, and intake. I’ve seen people get ~170whp which is nearly as fast as a stock si so it’s not too bad.

AmyChris13

First Name
Amy and Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic sport coupe
Country flag
We’re finding with our sport coupe m6 is a lot of fun- with the vtec love included. Really so far only suspension mods, a K+N CAI, and a ktuner flash- and it’s a blast! Don’t want it loud, but definitely have to sort out the exit plumbing.... so there’s that. Overall it handles great out of the box, and we wanted a manual coupe. This was what we got on dealer trade. We’re on the NA wagon. It just makes things more spicy, is all. ?

Wickedsprint

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking
Country flag
I was in the same boat and torn between the exact 2 sedans you are. I reluctantly chose a CVT 1.5T Hatchback Sport and I’m glad I did. The 1.5T coupled to the CVT makes for effortless acceleration and efficiency in town and provides a surprisingly “torquey” power delivery that is unlike the civics I grew up with.

There is a reason that manual sales are dwindling...because in most daily driving situations they’re friggin annoying.

If you MUST have the manual, I’d go SI for all of the previously mentioned reasons.

Last edited:

AVR

First Name
Alexis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SI Sedan, 2014 Pathfinder
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Manual transmission cars get sold kind of fast don't delay too much. The SI is great just the way it is, if you want have fun. If you want to build a car just to go straight and fast you can get the sport. If you want to feel improve handling I would go SI... Love jumping in the intersections while hitting the gas kind of hard.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The Sport is literally an LX with an appearance package so far as I know. If you were talking about the Sport hatch then there might be a discussion here but Sport coupe/sedan vs Si is no competition. Not even a reason to go see that Sport.
Sponsored