First Name
Yanick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Coupe Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Do you want a car that is fun to drive and can afford an Si? There's zero reason to get a lower end Civic in that case. Can't afford an Si but want something fun to drive? A 1.5T Civic is going to be more fun than the 2.0 sport.
i still really enjoy driving my shitty 2.0 engine car tho...i will do air intake next year so that it will sound even more awesome...my dad has the 1.5t engine in his CRV and it sound and works crap. So it's not all about the engine...also the 1.5t engine is riddled with issues and the 2.0 is proven and rock solid.

I could've got the EX trim or whatever with the shit turbo engine for about the same price but i wouldve got none of the aestetics upgrades which to me were more important...go figure..i must be an odd ball.. I guess I wanted the all black interior and red gauges more than the ''better'' engine I guess...and outside the car wasn't full of ugly chrome pieces and stuff and I like everything about my car. Sorry. I had a 2016 LX Coupe manual before and the car was full of chrome, grey interior,blue gauges, hyper soft suspension, smooshy brake pedal, small wheels etc.. and it's ALL fixed with the 2020 sport manual so I'm happy camper...

The car really does feel beefed up and retuned as compared to my 2016 lx that's for sure and it handle world's better and IT IS a blast to drive on back roads. Car is light and nimble with excellent cornering and braking...very good transmission too...I'd love a lighter flywheel to kill the Rev hang tho.
Sponsored

Last edited:

yansag1982

First Name
Yanick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Coupe Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I went through the same dilemma as you when looking for a car, although I was only shopping a manual transmission Sport Coupe or a Civic SI coupe. I actually ended up going with the Sport over the SI.

For starters, I am most definitely a purist at heart. The less sport modes, adaptive dampers, and turbos on a car, the better in my mind. The Sport 2.0 is very much the last of old school Honda. Simple, naturally aspirated, reliable, fun to drive, and affordable to run and buy. I drove the SI and Sport back to back and that old school nature is what really sold me on it, plus I liked the look of the Sport slightly better. The SI is a hell of a car, don't get me wrong, but I'd urge you to maybe drive the Sport and see if it might fit what you're looking for a little bit better. The only thing I really miss from the SI is the slightly tighter and better weighted steering, but even that is a minor gripe. There is also no LSD on the Sport but a good set of grippy tires will make you not notice the lack of a limited slip diff except in the most extreme circumstances.

Also the Sport is more than just an appearance package. You get re-tuned dampers and stiffer anti roll bars, as well as a quicker steering rack than the regular Civics. Also comes with the better infotainment unit and a dark headliner. No sunroof, but that was a positive for me.

Bottom line, if you have any memory of old school Honda's, this will be the closest you can get today.
VERY well said wow I was scrolling to see what others have said before me about this and this is also how I feel...I grew up with 1.8L aCura integra and 1.6 civic sir with twin cam vtec engines and there is defenetly a word to say about that.

I grew up with the first fast and the furious with the 3 black civic coupe and my car is an homage to that era of Honda products. Last year you can get a coupe, maybe last gen you can get a manual, and a NA vtec engine...might as well get it in black and take good care of it. After that it'll be all hybrid, electric boost...turbo 1.0L 3cyl engine...etc.

Also...here in Canada the civic sport do come with the sunroof and heated seats and mirrors. It also has all the Honda link and sensing features...car is loaded all black interior better audio and everything...everything about this car is better than my 2016 LX...it has lighting in the center console and glove box, it's quieter and much better tuned and the exhaust has a nice sound to it. It's just perfect. I want to do an air intake and lower 1 inch next year and I'll look into a racing flywheel that would be compatible with this car.

Check this youtube channel and this video, turn english Close Caption

Also, the swag in my Suzuka decal is through the roof :cool: standing proud
Every civic sport should come with it IMHO it should be a factory honda part at this point honestly

Honda Civic 10th gen 2020 Civic Sport Manual or Si? 1601869388892

Last edited:

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
I had an Integra GSR and Civic with the 1.6L VTEC before that. So I loved the old Honda motors. Not sure how the 2.0 compares cause I've only driven the CVT. But the 1.5T is a fantastic engine, a worthy successor. I wish it had the sound of the GSR motor but I wouldn't give up the torque or the gas mileage.

My Sport hatch had 88k miles, never had any issue with the engine. I wasn't aware when I bought it that there was a 6MT with a normally aspirated four, would like to try one out of curiosity.

yansag1982

First Name
Yanick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Coupe Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had an Integra GSR and Civic with the 1.6L VTEC before that. So I loved the old Honda motors. Not sure how the 2.0 compares cause I've only driven the CVT. But the 1.5T is a fantastic engine, a worthy successor. I wish it had the sound of the GSR motor but I wouldn't give up the torque or the gas mileage.

My Sport hatch had 88k miles, never had any issue with the engine. I wasn't aware when I bought it that there was a 6MT with a normally aspirated four, would like to try one out of curiosity.
a friend of mine has a 2017 hatchback 1.5t with a CVT and for real it does pull harder...the CVT is a fucking beast too...you simply CAN'T shift as fast...CVT if you floor it in sport mode it just pulls forever...but you do not get the same engine note and feel...as the twin cam 2.0L.
My wife has the same car as i do except it's a sedan with a CVT and her car feel faster...but the 6 speed manual has again a nice old school feel to it and if you used to it you can make this engine sing. So for me it's NOT all about speed as i said previously :) Manual 1.5T with an air intake must sound pretty good too tho...the 1.5T i rode in was bone stock and it sounded exactly the same as my father's CRV except with a better exhaust sound and more acceleration (obviously).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bob.

Bob.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
Still here, and appreciating all the input. The delay is actually due to a delay with the concrete company I've contracted to re-pour all my sidewalks and driveways. No point in having to juggle 3 vehicles for a week to 1 1/2 weeks with no place to park them.

ALSO. like i SAID...a LOT of the stuff in your list that is TRUE for the US isn't' true for Canada...many of these items i do have on my car.
When I discovered via the VINs that all the Si's in my region are made in Canada, I called Honda and they said that all Si's are made in Canada. I didn't think to ask if the models destined for the US were manufactured differently than those that would be sold in Canada.

yansag1982

First Name
Yanick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Coupe Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
When I discovered via the VINs that all the Si's in my region are made in Canada, I called Honda and they said that all Si's are made in Canada. I didn't think to ask if the models destined for the US were manufactured differently than those that would be sold in Canada.
i do not know about the SI my statement was about the sport model...i know in the US the sport doesnt have the front heated seat and mirrors and the sunroof and we do get them on our sport coupe and sedan. Probably honda decided to gift us warm seats due to our harsh winters. There are always a few differences between USDM and CDM. For example your LX has always come with the small crappy infotainment unit where as our LX here have the 7'' unit...basically...honda is nicer to us canadian and give up better equipped cars for the same price i don't know why.

OP
OP
Bob.

Bob.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
i do not know about the SI my statement was about the sport model...i know in the US the sport doesnt have the front heated seat and mirrors and the sunroof and we do get them on our sport coupe and sedan. Probably honda decided to gift us warm seats due to our harsh winters. There are always a few differences between USDM and CDM. For example your LX has always come with the small crappy infotainment unit where as our LX here have the 7'' unit...basically...honda is nicer to us canadian and give up better equipped cars for the same price i don't know why.
I'm still somewhat on the fence about which model to buy, but the Si is up my alley, although mentions of lesser reliability are of concern. There are (IMO) important differences between the 2017 Si and the 2020, but I've also begun to look at the '17. The reasoning behind this is that the older model saves me approximately 1K/yr on insurance.

The performance of the Si is important to me, not for racing, but for general traffic and road trip use. There's nothing worse than falling flat when trying to quickly maneuver traffic. Also, we have a mini cooperS w/6spd manual at present that I absolutely love driving, is fast and a dream to park (especially compared to my truck with 8' bed and crew cab).

I'm a fast driver in traffic, and suspension and 'get up' are important. Also, I shy away from the CVT because of what I've heard and because it's higher maintenance. That said, I still haven't 100% made up my mind. I'm hoping to be past the concrete issues in 2-3 weeks, at which time I'll see what's available, test drive a few more, make a decision and buy.

ultrashin

First Name
NOH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R CW
Country flag
Unless you are looking at a 1.5T Sport Hatchback with 6MT, the Si is just a superior choice compared to regular sport manual. You get all the premium features from upper level trim but more power and cheaper price. It's a bargain if you are able to find one at invoice price. Honda also discontinued Civic Si for 2021 model so it is better to grab one before it is too late.

yansag1982

First Name
Yanick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Coupe Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The performance of the Si is important to me, not for racing, but for general traffic and road trip use. There's nothing worse than falling flat when trying to quickly maneuver traffic. Also, we have a mini cooperS w/6spd manual at present that I absolutely love driving, is fast and a dream to park .
well then if that is the case and you can afford the si why not...every 10th gen civic has plenty of power to get up and go...but the si is slightly faster...not as fast as the Cooper S but still pretty good.

Cooper s is an extremely small and light car with 190hp and 210 pound feet of torque...with a 6 speed manual its like the ultimate thing to zoom through traffic and I doubt any Honda will offer you that... you would be looking at a old eg or Ek hatch with a k20 engine swap for a car as small, nimble and fast.

Last edited:

olesaintnik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
well then if that is the case and you can afford the si why not...every 10th gen civic has plenty of power to get up and go...but the si is slightly faster...not as fast as the Cooper S but still pretty good.

Cooper s is an extremely small and light car with 190hp and 210 pound feet of torque...with a 6 speed manual its like the ultimate thing to zoom through traffic and I doubt any Honda will offer you that... you would be looking at a old eg or Ek hatch with a k20 engine swap for a car as small, nimble and fast.
I don’t know why you’d say that.. the Cooper S and the Civic Si are almost exactly the same weight and power, with the Si having slightly more hp and the Cooper more torque. The civic Si is very nimble in traffic, with great power and handling, as Bob is looking for.

All the 10th gen civics are great cars for people of different preferences, and the 1.5L turbo and CVT have been proven to be reliable over the years, despite everyone’s assumptions based on other vehicles with such features, as well as rare incidents(which happen with any car).

For Bob’s requirements from the vehicle, I definitely think he would be better served by the 1.5T because it is objectively much faster than the 2.0L engine. Further, I believe that the Si’s handling and manual transmission would be ideal, given that he likes to drive somewhat aggressively and is already used to the torque from the turbo in the Cooper.

I think that in earlier posts in this thread, some insensitive words have caused some egos and emotions to flare up, and created a mud slinging environment. I suggest we cool down and work cooperatively instead of competitively.

All the 10th gens are great, turbo or not. But for Bob, who asked the question, the Si is the best fit, with the 1.5T Sport being second, and 2.0L third.

yansag1982

First Name
Yanick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Coupe Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don’t know why you’d say that.. the Cooper S and the Civic Si are almost exactly the same weight and power, with the Si having slightly more hp and the Cooper more torque. The civic Si is very nimble in traffic, with great power and handling, as Bob is looking for.
that wasn't my point...but the civic is almost 2 feet longer than a mini and have you sat in one of those...it's TINY af...not saying it's better than a civic in any ways or else i'd drive one...but on the pure moving through traffic thing the cooper S would win every time it can sneak everywhere and turn on a dime.

And yes, like i said if he can afford the Si it would be best and everyone who can get one should :)

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
To your earlier question OP... yes... the Si is fine for road trips. I just went ~600 miles yesterday in it. If you’re on the heavy side, the seats which have decent bolstering might not fit you quite right. For an average or smaller person... they’re quite comfortable. They were an upgrade from the ‘15 Si I traded out of for this one.

I imagine the non-Sis which might be less tightly sprung and on certain models with 17” wheels might be a little smoother on broken pavement... but the Si, to me, is in no way a harsh riding car. The 2 damper modes aren’t drastically different though. It is “kind of firm” to “a little more firm” rather than “comfort” and “sport”. I’d of assumed they knocked a few hundred off the cost of the car and just put some non-adjustables personally. Compared to other on-the-fly adjustable damper-having cars that have better mode differentiation so far as the ride is concerned, it’s a little gimmicky to me.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
...one other thing that kind of stinks about our adjustable is the price for replacements. I’d looked at and passed on a trade for a CTS V Sport, which has a Magneride control suspension setup and is quite a bit more advanced than what we have. They’re made by AC Delco and OEM replacements are substantially cheaper than ours. Our prices fluctuate a little but on the “discount” Honda sites they’re well more than a much more advanced set of Magnerides. Just comparing struts for struts.
Honda Civic 10th gen 2020 Civic Sport Manual or Si? 09031163-E432-4D9B-8DB0-FE9427DCA567

Honda Civic 10th gen 2020 Civic Sport Manual or Si? 4FBE2628-2007-4A19-BF2D-8CFD4A63C887

Now there’s more to Magneride than just the suspension alone... but for our cars to have what I assume is simply a solenoid that flips an orifice to control the rate in which the fluid can move in the damper... it’s pretty rough that they’re priced so high. Even for a DITYer... the price to stay OEM to keep the functionality is almost punitively expensive. I got OEM adjustable for my Z 5 years ago for well cheaper than the Honda... and it’s modes are “gentle” comfort mode and “shake-your-fillings-out-firm” sport mode.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag

All the 10th gen civics are great cars for people of different preferences, and the 1.5L turbo and CVT have been proven to be reliable over the years, despite everyone’s assumptions based on other vehicles with such features, as well as rare incidents(which happen with any car).

For Bob’s requirements from the vehicle, I definitely think he would be better served by the 1.5T because it is objectively much faster than the 2.0L engine. Further, I believe that the Si’s handling and manual transmission would be ideal, given that he likes to drive somewhat aggressively and is already used to the torque from the turbo in the Cooper.

I think that in earlier posts in this thread, some insensitive words have caused some egos and emotions to flare up, and created a mud slinging environment. I suggest we cool down and work cooperatively instead of competitively.

All the 10th gens are great, turbo or not. But for Bob, who asked the question, the Si is the best fit, with the 1.5T Sport being second, and 2.0L third.
Civic Si is faster than a Cooper S on track. Minis are awesome but they aren't fast.

j_limitz

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R - Championship White
Country flag
Still here, and appreciating all the input. The delay is actually due to a delay with the concrete company I've contracted to re-pour all my sidewalks and driveways. No point in having to juggle 3 vehicles for a week to 1 1/2 weeks with no place to park them.

The 2017-2019 Si's in Canada already had the "Touring" headlights, which is now standard for the 2020 US model. The only other thing that i believe is different is that the 2020 Si has wireless charging as standard equipment in Canada. Yes all Si's are made in Canada, but nothing mechanically is different between a Canadian Si vs an American Si.

For example: - All CTR's are made in the UK, the only difference between the US and Canadian versions is that the Canadian versions come with wireless charging as standard equipment and the US gets more colour choices each MY than we do in Canada.
Sponsored