First Name
Omid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Sport CVT
Country flag
Hello community,
I just joined this forum but have been religiously following threads talking about tunes, mods, cvt, and reliability.
I joined to be able to post this about my car and my experience with tuning a cvt civic.

I drove my car for about 2k miles before my first mod, which was a ktuner custom +9 psi tune and a PRL cold air intake. Before the tune I drove The car similar to how I’d be driving it now, letting all the rpms get touched at least once and breaking in every gear. After the tune and intake, my hp went from 180 to 225, and my torque went from 177 to 245.... literally day and night difference in everything about the car. I try not to do dead stop launches but I’ve done 2 already and that’s probably going to be it.

on the way right now, I have a prl full intercooler setup coming next week, and prl down pipes and front pipe. I’m debating whether or not I feel the need to actually install the front pipe though, thinking down pipe and intercooler will be enough to end my performance mods. If someone can inform me what a difference a front pipe would make over a stock front pipe and aftermarket downpipe.

ask any questions you might have about my cvt or car or anything.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2020 civic sport CVT tuned plus mods AB1E0AFC-AE38-460F-BAEE-E5D13CAA9CBD

Honda Civic 10th gen 2020 civic sport CVT tuned plus mods 7C856788-7E98-4838-9090-D8A2F5A4ACED

Honda Civic 10th gen 2020 civic sport CVT tuned plus mods DF7EF4C3-4985-4C66-A9A5-E681091201B2

Qchon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7 Sport Touring Polished Metallic
Country flag
Blew my STOCK cvt from brake launching
Don't brake launch these transmissions. Regular spirited driving should be fine

IonEX-T

First Name
Sebastian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Ex-t
Country flag
Nice car, would love to see some updates after you get all that installed.

OP
OP

Venomid

First Name
Omid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Blew my STOCK cvt from brake launching
Don't brake launch these transmissions. Regular spirited driving should be fine
Fuck.. I swear that’s the most nerve wrecking thing to think about myself as well, but i really don’t brake launch I just get off the line smooth and slow then accelerate spiritedly through 3rd and 4th gear when I feel spirited lol.

xRiCeBoYx

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatchback CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
fwiw, I've been tuned (ktuner 21psi starter tune with quick enables) for over 22k miles with no issues. Never brake launch, just spirited driving. Sometimes I mash the throttle a bit from a dead stop, just enough to make my VSA start to activate. That tuned reliability thread has a shit ton of people that have had zero issues.

OP
OP

Venomid

First Name
Omid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
fwiw, I've been tuned (ktuner 21psi starter tune with quick enables) for over 22k miles with no issues. Never brake launch, just spirited driving. Sometimes I mash the throttle a bit from a dead stop, just enough to make my VSA start to activate. That tuned reliability thread has a shit ton of people that have had zero issues.
Very good to hear, I have about 6-7k miles on my tune and Intake. I have 3 custom tunes on my device, but I’ve always been on the highest psi option of my 3. I seriously can’t imagine cranking down my psi and hp and drive a slower car lol.

alao01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Ex-L
Country flag
I've brake launched about 10-15 times (to test dragy times) the past 10k out of 20k miles I've had it, now at 61k miles and so far its been holding up but I've definitely cringed when I did and can feel it pushing the limits of the trans and belt. Now I just drive normally but spiritedly once up to speed. I may be one of the lucky ones considering it was a used car but I'd advise also not to do it.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Venomid

First Name
Omid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I've brake launched about 10-15 times (to test dragy times) the past 10k out of 20k miles I've had it, now at 61k miles and so far its been holding up but I've definitely cringed when I did and can feel it pushing the limits of the trans and belt. Now I just drive normally but spiritedly once up to speed. I may be one of the lucky ones considering it was a used car but I'd advise also not to do it.
Yeah brake launching is risky business for these transmissions. But you’ve clearly done it way more than me lol and you’re still good. Driving spiritedly through 3rd, 4th, and 5th for me is good enough

XgenTheo

First Name
Teo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-T CVT
Country flag
Now I just drive normally but spiritedly once up to speed. I may be one of the lucky ones considering it was a used car but I'd advise also not to do it.
Are you still running Phearable tune? I’m still on TSP tune hoping we can get adjust throttle responsiveness for the non-si.

I was about to buy the Phearable tune when you mentioned last time it was less jerky compared to TSP, but then I read that 91 oct gets you elevated knock control values on Phearable tune. I wanted to ask, since you also use 91 octane, what k.control values are you seeing on map 1 or map 2?

alao01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Ex-L
Country flag
Are you still running Phearable tune? I’m still on TSP tune hoping we can get adjust throttle responsiveness for the non-si.

I was about to buy the Phearable tune when you mentioned last time it was less jerky compared to TSP, but then I read that 91 oct gets you elevated knock control values on Phearable tune. I wanted to ask, since you also use 91 octane, what k.control values are you seeing on map 1 or map 2?
Yes I am and I was able to adjust it with Phearable, not sure with tsp. I mostly run it on map 3 but i usually got between 54-60 with 91. Lately when I can and mix to get 93, i got 48-51. After a pull, the counts do rise a bit like 15-20 above and more if back to back. Overall, its pretty consistent, but the Prl IC i installed definitely helped with consistent power and readings

Last edited:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Yes I am and I was able to adjust it with Phearable, not sure with tsp. I mostly run it on map 3 but i usually got between 54-60 with 91. Lately when I can and mix to get 93, i got 48-51. After a pull, the counts do rise a bit like 15-20 above and more if back to back. Overall, its pretty consistent, but the Prl IC i installed definitely helped with consistent power and readings
You're able to adjust throttle responsiveness on the locked Phearable tune?

alao01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Ex-L
Country flag
You're able to adjust throttle responsiveness on the locked Phearable tune?
Yeah I could adjust the quick adjustments tab but not the on-the-fly map switching tab. I also found out upon startup, that it keeps the last used map as default.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Odd because the only quick adjustment I see is for Advanced VSA. As far as I know, KTuner still hasn't released throttle adjustments for locked ots tunes. What version of the KTuner software program do you run?

alao01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Ex-L
Country flag
Odd because the only quick adjustment I see is for Advanced VSA. As far as I know, KTuner still hasn't released throttle adjustments for TSP and Phearable. What version of the KTuner software program do you run?
The latest one on their download site.
Sponsored