Did I Get A Good Deal?

• Total voters

Stringburner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Ford Ranger FX4
Country flag
New guy here, wanted to post that I think I got a really good price on a new SI & see what ya'll think. Been lurking here since I've been looking for a new car, & a Civic was on my short list.

As a preface to the story, a little background:

Most recent vehicles i've owned have been a 2015 Kia Forte5 SX, which was a really neat car. It was loaded, 1.6 Turbo with a 6 speed manual, heated & cooled leather, heated steering wheel, power folding mirrors (when you lock the doors),dual climate, navigation, pretty much everything you could want. I drive for work so after 80 thousand-ish miles, I traded it on a 2018 Hyundai Elantra Sport. Same engine/transmission. Navigation, heated leather, dual climate, etc. Same powertrain as the Kia. Fun cars to drive & you can easily vent the BOV to atmosphere to hear to "woosh" with no issues.

I decided I'd like to see if I could find a Civic SI in the last month or so, & you all know what I came up against at dealerships. Every one i'd call about was sold or it was already spoken for while in transit, or they wanted stupid money for them. I drove a 2.0 sedan with the 6 speed manual & liked it. It had everything I needed, but after having the turbo engines in my previous cars, having to wring the NA engines neck to really move for passing and merging was a little disappointing. It was okay, I could deal with it, & i loved the look of the wheels on them. Like the 2019 SI wheels but with a dark polished tint. They look great. I also drove a hatch with the manual & 1.5 turbo engine. A little better but I didn't think it was worth the upcharge over the sedan (24k+ TTT vs. 21k + TTT). I wasn't sure what to do. I had almost decided on the sedan because of the price as well as I didn't particularly care for the looks of the hatch. It just looks odd to me.

Back Friday I decided to call a dealership I saw had an SI in my choice of color. I got a salesperson on the phone & got the "Black Friday" deals sales pitch and inquired about the SI I saw on their website. She came back with "$22500". ....... I asked her to verify that we were speaking of the same car by comparing VIN #'s to what I'm looking at on their website, & she did. I asked for an out the door price with all taxes, tags, title, fees including, & she came back with 24 and change. I told her I would take it and put a deposit on the car.

She called back about 15 minutes later & said "the car was sold to someone else while we were on the phone". Okay. I can't do anything about that, so they refunded my deposit & I thanked her & hung up the phone.

About a half hour later she called back & said that they do still have the car, it hadn't been "PDI'd" yet, that's why the keys weren't where they should be for cars available for sale. I put another deposit on the car and drove 200 miles Sunday to pick it up.

The sales girl I by chance spoke with was new & had started in October. After we made the deal she called and said her manager told her that they didn't discount SI or Type R models, but the dealership stood by the deal I had agreed to.

So what do you think, did I get an extremely good deal by blind luck?
Sponsored