Frankirap

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic
Country flag
Post a pic of the service work order. I am curious to see why they are saying it's not covered.
They are claiming abuse and not k owing how to drive I have benn driving a stick for 40 years I own 4 manual tranasmission cars. Sorry for the demeanor but these
Turn off the caps lock, and your post will be much easier to read as a need instead of a furious rant.

I test drove a stock 2019 Si with 20 miles on it. I gave it a little throttle in 6th gear on the interstate going 70mph, and the clutch slipped! I tried it again a couple minutes later to see if I was crazy, and it slipped again. I told the salesman, babied the car back to the dealership, and was shocked. I was not remotely abusing this car, just passing in traffic. The OEM clutch should be able to stand up to this.
My apologies to anyone about the frustration I am having please don't take it the wrong way. I just bought a 2000 honda civic. I graduated as an A mechanic from school. I have driven stick all my life from Volkswagens to full blown race cars. This its totally unacceptable pressure plate was slightly scored along with the flywheel clutch was worn. all wears marks on clutch were still there. the failure was one of 4 things. Either the pressure plate was defective, The clutch delay valve is not operating properly and not fully releasing the pressure plate causing clutch to slip and wear, undersized clutch components for the car or its a stretch but defective steel on components just like their rotors. I'm not looking to piss anyone off I'm looking for help and I want anybody that intends on buying this car doesn't get stuck with the same problem. this problem almost caused a major accident because in trying to get on the parkway the clutch slipped and car did not accelerate. Then the clutch engaged and almost sent it into a tree. This is out of control. Honda couldn't care less. Just on principle alone a 8 week car with 2500 miles should be fixed and maybe Honda should get to the bottom of it before someone gets seriously hurt or killed.
Sponsored

mjh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2020 Sedan; Previously VW Jetta SEL 2016 (auto); Civic EX Sedan 2009 (manual); Civic EX Coupe 2002 (manual)
Country flag
This thread has taken so many turns.

Curious to hear more about this since I should be in the market for a 2020 Si soon.
2000 miles on mine, perfect so far.

Maroco

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda civic lx 2020 civic si
Country flag
They are claiming abuse and not k owing how to drive I have benn driving a stick for 40 years I own 4 manual tranasmission cars. Sorry for the demeanor but these

My apologies to anyone about the frustration I am having please don't take it the wrong way. I just bought a 2000 honda civic. I graduated as an A mechanic from school. I have driven stick all my life from Volkswagens to full blown race cars. This its totally unacceptable pressure plate was slightly scored along with the flywheel clutch was worn. all wears marks on clutch were still there. the failure was one of 4 things. Either the pressure plate was defective, The clutch delay valve is not operating properly and not fully releasing the pressure plate causing clutch to slip and wear, undersized clutch components for the car or its a stretch but defective steel on components just like their rotors. I'm not looking to piss anyone off I'm looking for help and I want anybody that intends on buying this car doesn't get stuck with the same problem. this problem almost caused a major accident because in trying to get on the parkway the clutch slipped and car did not accelerate. Then the clutch engaged and almost sent it into a tree. This is out of control. Honda couldn't care less. Just on principle alone a 8 week car with 2500 miles should be fixed and maybe Honda should get to the bottom of it before someone gets seriously hurt or killed.
Thats is terrible and im glad you are sharing this info! there are quite a few of us who have more miles on our 2020s than you did and have no issue so im inclined to think your car came with a bad part or wasnt assembled correctly.

I understand your frustration but until we see a work order, we wont really be able to understand this problem better or help much.

I feel for you im just not sure we have enough info to place blame.

Valenzx

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI
Country flag
I bought my car from the same dealer, It was actually one of the first cars off the truck. I now have about 6500 miles on it and use it to commute 60 mile round trip for my main job and about 50-70 miles a night delivering for doordash and have yet to have a issue. I thought my clutch was slipping at one point but it was always the traction / traction control that made it feel that way. I'm not use to it coming from a STI.

cammyfive

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road 6MT
Country flag
*taken with my iPhone 3
LOL! Don't hate on my Shaky McShaky camera. To my credit, that as steady as it gets driving on I-75 in Atlanta.

FC3L15B7

I'm a machine.
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic 2 Door Coupe Si / 1993 Chrysler Intrepid 3.5L
Country flag
LOL! Don't hate on my Shaky McShaky camera. To my credit, that as steady as it gets driving on I-75 in Atlanta.
Haha. You can kind of tell it's vibrating, but it also looks like someone sketched it with pencil crayons. ;)

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 si sedan, FZ1, CR450R, Shadow 750
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What's the weight of the new wheels?

MorrisGray

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazda3 5sp manual, 2012 Genesis sedan
Country flag
I am new here and shopping for a new SI myself. That being said my reply is not from owning a SI but just possible scenarios. If this could be from actual abuse and you didn't do the abuse, is it possible someone took it for a test drive and abused it before you bought the car? I would say there is no way for you to know that, just that it could be possible. But still, the car being new, presuming only one or two people possibly did this in a test drive of your car, it doesn't seem reasonable for such a result so soon without a defect of the parts involved.

I hope you find a resolve and report back to everyone here so we can all learn.

si_well

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
I am new here and shopping for a new SI myself. That being said my reply is not from owning a SI but just possible scenarios. If this could be from actual abuse and you didn't do the abuse, is it possible someone took it for a test drive and abused it before you bought the car? I would say there is no way for you to know that, just that it could be possible. But still, the car being new, presuming only one or two people possibly did this in a test drive of your car, it doesn't seem reasonable for such a result so soon without a defect of the parts involved.

I hope you find a resolve and report back to everyone here so we can all learn.
It's highly unlikely that it was being abused in test drives without an incident of it being reported or documented. So many cars get pumped out of the factories that there is a much greater likelihood something happened by statistical chance during during that specific car's manufacturing and assembly process that went unnoticed and resulted in it becoming defective.

New vehicles with major defections are sold all the time without any indication it might be defective until the defect presents itself to the new owner over time. These cars are called lemons, and there are laws in America at both the federal level (warranty laws) and the state level (lemon laws) specifically designed to protect consumers if the vehicle they purchased repeatedly does not meet quality and performance standards. When new cars sold are later found to be lemon, the manufacturer is required to buy the vehicle back and are usually resold as salvaged or lemon titles. I'm not saying that his car is a lemon per se, but I am saying its definitely possible that it could be. The only way it would be deemed a lemon is if they repaired it under warranty AND the problem persisted after a reasonable number of attempts. Lemon laws vary state to state as to what exactly would make a vehicle a lemon, but they all typically define the parameters on the severity of the problem, the number of days you are forced to go without your vehicle do to servicing the issue, and the total attempts made to remedy the issue. However, the dealership isn't under any obligation by law to be held responsible in such a matter because they do not warrant the vehicle, the manufacturer does.

I looked up some stats to see what the odds of buying a lemon might be for the fun of it though.
  • A 2017 study, published by a law firm who specialized in lemon law, pulled every breach of warranty case filed in the united states between 2013-2016 and reported Honda to have had only 225 cases filed for breaching warranty out of the 5,618,173 cars sold during that time frame
  • What this tells us:
    • This study's data only includes FILED cases in the united states, so unfilled cases are not represented in this data since many cases are settled outside of court. Therefore, it won't exactly give us the odds of buying a lemon, but rather an underestimated of the likelihood of buying one.
    • It does tell us that you have in a 1 in 24,969 chance (0.004%) of having purchased a Honda vehicle between 2013-2016 with defects unable to be repaired by warranty services that result in you going to court with Honda over.
    • Taking that same 0.004% chance for the 1,604,828 Hondas sold in 2018, that statistically comes to 64 of cars sold that year that end up going to court over unsettled warranty problems.
Thanks for coming to my TEDtalk.
Sponsored