2020 Civic or Acura ILX

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
I currently have a 2017 Civic EX. It has over 50k miles on it all highway. Someone I know is considering getting rid of their car and was interested in mine since I have taken good care of it and it has a good amount of miles and did not want to buy new. I am considering selling it, but I was thinking about what I would get if I did.

The 2020 Acura ILX redesign does not look too bad. It looks like the base price is slightly over 25k although I think with a few add ons it'll be at least 30-32k.

The other option is to get a new 2020 Civic with a slightly higher trim and I'll be able to stay around 25k.

I've never owned an Acura before.

It seems like the ILX is a higher trim than the Civic with a few frills. My concern is that if I get an ILX, I'll just wind up paying more in maintenance and insurance for something that is largely a "badge". I know there are some differences like no CVT etc but my question is is it worth the extra cost for what you'll wind up getting rather than just keeping it simple with a Civic ?

Anyone own/driven one before and have any opinions on them ?
Sponsored

herox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si
I currently have a 2017 Civic EX. It has over 50k miles on it all highway. Someone I know is considering getting rid of their car and was interested in mine since I have taken good care of it and it has a good amount of miles and did not want to buy new. I am considering selling it, but I was thinking about what I would get if I did.

The 2020 Acura ILX redesign does not look too bad. It looks like the base price is slightly over 25k although I think with a few add ons it'll be at least 30-32k.

The other option is to get a new 2020 Civic with a slightly higher trim and I'll be able to stay around 25k.

I've never owned an Acura before.

It seems like the ILX is a higher trim than the Civic with a few frills. My concern is that if I get an ILX, I'll just wind up paying more in maintenance and insurance for something that is largely a "badge". I know there are some differences like no CVT etc but my question is is it worth the extra cost for what you'll wind up getting rather than just keeping it simple with a Civic ?

Anyone own/driven one before and have any opinions on them ?
Do you have the sedan or hatchback? Edmunds estimates 12-13k value. Do you have any complaints or wants to push you towards a 2020 Civic/ILX? The price difference is a good amount of dough if it's just going to be a minor upgrade. The way I see it is you've barely broken in your EX and you just took the hit on depreciation.

OP
OP
Swordfish

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Do you have the sedan or hatchback? Edmunds estimates 12-13k value. Do you have any complaints or wants to push you towards a 2020 Civic/ILX? The price difference is a good amount of dough if it's just going to be a minor upgrade. The way I see it is you've barely broken in your EX and you just took the hit on depreciation.

I have the sedan. I used to have a different mfg hatchback and was not a fan of the open space so I intentionally got the sedan when I bought the Civic. I have looked at the ILX several times and I just like the style, but the price difference is pretty significant between that and a Civic.

There isn't a huge difference towards specifically the 2020 Civic, at the rate I put miles, the powertrain is going to be lapsed by year end as I will have hit past 60k. I got my car under 20 so if I were to get 12-13k then it would be about 6k for the past 3 years. Given the price of what I was quoted for an extended warranty, I would largely just be switching to a brand new car off the lot. There are some small things here and there about the Civic I like and don't like, but overall I don't have any issue keeping it. There is cosmetic damage on the car, the windshield for example is completely pitted up and there are several paint chips that have accumulated all over but nothing functional.

Was just considering the ILX and if it was a worthwhile upgrade. I haven't been offered for the car and it was just mentioned, but it was just a thought that came to mind.

PandaXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EX-T with Honda Sensing
Country flag
I would pass on the 2020 ILX its an old car thats reached the end of its model cycle, old engine, old tech all from 9th gen Civic. The current Civic is about to reach the end of its model cycle too, i would wait if you can so you can to see what ever newer options come along

South86

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SI Coupe, 2019 Acura ILX A-Spec, 2013 Ram 1500 SLT
Country flag
I will give you insight from someone who owns a 2019 Acura ILX A-Spec/Technology Package (Wife's car) coming from a 2017 Civic Touring Coupe. My wife loves the car, it is sporty enough for her and was smaller than the TLX I wanted her to get. The car is nice but it is based off of the 9th gen civic. I wish they would have updated it besides the body refresh. The car itself looks awesome, the inside is an upgrade over the civic but the infotainment is old and outdated. It has this weird double screen thing that I don't like at all. The ILX also doesn't have some of the standard features the civic had like the camera on the passanger side(I like it some don't), remote start, and some other integrated safety features the civic had. The best comparison with driving/sitting in it is a more expensive civic which is what it is. I would wait and see what the 2021 Acura compact sedan is before buying an ILX. The 2020 Civic is also nice but if a new gen will be out I would wait and see what the 2021 has to offer. Right now I am planning on getting a 2020 Civic SI sedan when I get home from deployment, unless the 2021 is worth waiting for.

You should be able to get an ILX under 30k OTD. Depending on the trim you are getting, for the 2019 I paid 31k OTD with the AcuraCare package and all weather floor mats. So not a terrible deal but pretty expensive for a fancy civic.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
The ILX is a slug with less than 200 hp and that AWD. Purely for the luxury features.

longthaitran91

Suiton20
First Name
Long
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic si
Country flag
I find it a bit odd that the ltx has less standard tech that’s already in the civic. I always thought luxury cars would be ahead or on par compared to their non luxury counterparts to test out cutting edge engines or tech on the wealthy. But I guess us 10th gen civic owners are the beta testers.

OP
OP
Swordfish

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
I will give you insight from someone who owns a 2019 Acura ILX A-Spec/Technology Package (Wife's car) coming from a 2017 Civic Touring Coupe. My wife loves the car, it is sporty enough for her and was smaller than the TLX I wanted her to get. The car is nice but it is based off of the 9th gen civic. I wish they would have updated it besides the body refresh. The car itself looks awesome, the inside is an upgrade over the civic but the infotainment is old and outdated. It has this weird double screen thing that I don't like at all. The ILX also doesn't have some of the standard features the civic had like the camera on the passanger side(I like it some don't), remote start, and some other integrated safety features the civic had. The best comparison with driving/sitting in it is a more expensive civic which is what it is. I would wait and see what the 2021 Acura compact sedan is before buying an ILX. The 2020 Civic is also nice but if a new gen will be out I would wait and see what the 2021 has to offer. Right now I am planning on getting a 2020 Civic SI sedan when I get home from deployment, unless the 2021 is worth waiting for.

You should be able to get an ILX under 30k OTD. Depending on the trim you are getting, for the 2019 I paid 31k OTD with the AcuraCare package and all weather floor mats. So not a terrible deal but pretty expensive for a fancy civic.
Thanks for that info. The thing that surprised me was that Acura released a new body style yet had all old tech inside the car. It's not the end of the world, but seems like a half hearted attempt at a refresh. I like the size of the Civic and the TLX would be too large for me. I was just taking a look at the numbers. Based on the 2020 ILX I could probably force 29k for it and a similar Civic for 23k which would be about a 6k gap....and that was my issue all along is that it is largely a re-badged higher trim Civic that will probably command in the end a higher insurance rate for a luxury car and more expensive in parts vs. Civic which is readily available.

I also didn't consider the current Civic. It debuted in 2015, so it is also due for a refresh.

Probably a good idea just to pass on both now and keep the current car. I'd give the 2017 Civic a B or B- overall. It is an "ok" budget car and I've had similar issues that many others here have had from poor quality paint to jerky CVT issues, but it has been good on gas and overall a decent economy car for the price.

ken88

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-T, 2007 Honda Shadow Aero
Country flag
Fuel costs may also need to be taken into consideration with the ILX.
At the time I got my Civic (6/2018), Acura had a decent lease special on the ILX so I went to look at one...IIRC, it required or recommended minimum 91 octane fuel.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The ILX is a 9th gen Civic Si with AWD instead of a 6 speed manual with LSD.

Keep your car, it's not worth anything to anyone but you with that many miles.
FWD only.

OP
OP
Swordfish

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Fuel costs may also need to be taken into consideration with the ILX.
At the time I got my Civic (6/2018), Acura had a decent lease special on the ILX so I went to look at one...IIRC, it required or recommended minimum 91 octane fuel.
I know usually premium needs to be run but isn't the ILX capable of running regular unleaded with just less performance?

The other consideration is also increased insurance as well

20ABM06MT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Country flag
â–  Fuel recommendation Unleaded premium gasoline, pump octane number 91 or higher
Use of a lower octane gasoline can cause occasional metallic knocking noise in the engine and will result in decreased engine performance. Use of a gasoline with a pump octane less than 87 can lead to engine damage

http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/OM/AH/BTX62020OM/enu/BTX62020OM.PDF

p503
Sponsored