2020 civic lx headlight dimming with lower power sub setup?

Adultishgambino

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic lx
Country flag
Hey all,

I’ve been lurking here for a while especially for help when installing my sub into my civic I got in November. So I’m wondering if anybody else is having the same issue as me. For reference I have a 2020 civic lx (Canada) and I installed a single 12 inch JL audio subwoofer(4 ohms) plugged into a JBL GTX 500. At 4 ohms the amp puts out 350 watts so nothing crazy. Tuned using multimeter with a YouTube test tone where I found the square root of ohms x wattage and set the voltage to that (about 36v). My issue is when I set the volume past about 20 I notice slight dimming in my headlights then when I get to 30 it’s definitely noticeable if I’m behind someone at night I can see my headlights getting dim as the bass hits. If anyone’s had this issue, how did you fix it? I haven’t seen a thread for this specific model civic. Is something as low powered as this setup really putting a huge strain on my alternator? Maybe because I have the lx model the alternator and battery are different and better in the higher models? Most other models run a 8(?) inch subwoofer and do just fine so does Honda just cheap out on the electricals between the models? I know in my buddys infinity q50 the car comes stock with a capacitor (Bose sound system) and he runs mtx twin 12s with no issues he got his professionally installed and he said they tapped it into the cap so would getting a capacitor solve my issue because from what I read on these forums a lot of people preach these do nothing but if one came stock with a Bose system then seems like it would help no? Any help is appreciated!
Sponsored

Ocelot

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 EX-T sedan, '12 LX sedan
Country flag
Cap would help for sure. On my si I had led headlights and never noticed any dimming with 500 watt sub. But I never tested with the stock halogens
Start troubleshooting/maintenance by removing/cleaning/re-torquing your battery posts and electrical connectors to and from the amp - work downstream from there.
Sponsored