mad regrets

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic LX 6MT
Country flag
Here I am, 23 years old fresh out of college, and I just bought a brand new 2020 Civic LX 6MT. I'm ecstatic because I value simplicity and I only really wanted one thing: A 6-speed manual, a basic radio that can do bluetooth, and a Honda.

Very simple. I'm a simple man. Now here's the issue, the damn infotainment unit, as basic as it is, won't do its job. During a call or during hangup, the infotainment system freezes on the 'ongoing call' screen. Can't turn it off, can't reset it, nothing works. It's just stuck on. The weird thing is that I can control the the knob to go up and down through the 'ongoing call' settings. This is easy to fix, I can just turn the car off and then back on, but this has been happening a lot. It's happened about 5 times already and if I'm in a call on the highway, it'll get stuck. It's pretty rage inducing.

I've already tried resetting the unit to make sure it doesn't happen again, but it keeps happening even after a reset. You do the reset by powering off the unit, and holding the '1' and '6' buttons for 10 seconds or so, then powering on the unit.

But yeah. This is kind of a rant and a cry for help. I regret purchasing this car because of this one damn issue.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2020 Civic LX Basic 4 Inch LCD Freezing during call/hangup 6QG9nJk

Now I love everything about this car. I honestly love it so much, but this one particular issue is ruining it for me. My last car (a 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid ----> 5MT <----), I had a shitty $50 aftermarket head unit without bluetooth, and a bluetooth to aux thing I bought off Amazon. That never failed me, but this brand new car's bluetooth does?
Sponsored

OP
OP

mad regrets

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic LX 6MT
Country flag
BUMP -- A little update, so I went to the dealer and they were able to update the firmware. Did it fix the issue? I'm not sure. I've been quarantining myself because of the coronavirus shit going on (my parents are old so I didn't wanna put them in danger).

I was wondering if it's safe to get an aftermarket CarPlay head unit for the car, without it interfering with diagnostics? I'm not very car savvy, but I've heard that if I get an aftermarket head unit for these newer civics, that every time I take it in for a diagnostic in the future that I'd have to swap the head unit back to the OEM one.

Axatax

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
In Malkuth, surrounded by evil, low on gas.
Vehicle(s)
2K Civic DX Coupe B18C5 (swap), 2017 Civic LX Coupe 6MT
Country flag
I have a 2017 LX 6MT with the basic HU. I haven't experienced that particular problem, and I've found the base radio to be pretty reliable.

You can replace the radio, but it's somewhat involved, more so with the MT if you want the backup camera to come on when the shifter is placed into reverse. Before you go that route, test out the firmware update. If the radio swap is done properly, you won't lose any other functionality with the car.

What caught my attention, is that your display, even though it's the same radio, looks very different than mine. Did you notice anything different, graphics-wise after the dealer updated your radio?

joe3456789

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
BUMP -- A little update, so I went to the dealer and they were able to update the firmware. Did it fix the issue? I'm not sure. I've been quarantining myself because of the coronavirus shit going on (my parents are old so I didn't wanna put them in danger).

I was wondering if it's safe to get an aftermarket CarPlay head unit for the car, without it interfering with diagnostics? I'm not very car savvy, but I've heard that if I get an aftermarket head unit for these newer civics, that every time I take it in for a diagnostic in the future that I'd have to swap the head unit back to the OEM one.
Not true, I have after market unit. It affects nothing. I think that only applies to the models with the 7 inch screen. Our LX models have settings through the dash.

OP
OP

mad regrets

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic LX 6MT
Country flag
I have a 2017 LX 6MT with the basic HU. I haven't experienced that particular problem, and I've found the base radio to be pretty reliable.

You can replace the radio, but it's somewhat involved, more so with the MT if you want the backup camera to come on when the shifter is placed into reverse. Before you go that route, test out the firmware update. If the radio swap is done properly, you won't lose any other functionality with the car.

What caught my attention, is that your display, even though it's the same radio, looks very different than mine. Did you notice anything different, graphics-wise after the dealer updated your radio?
I'm willing to do it at a reputable place tbh. If it costs like 700-800 bucks to do it right, its way worth it for me since this is gonna be my car for the next 15+ years. I still haven't been able to drive the car much because of the quarantine, but I'll update the post if it happens again.

Nothing different graphics-wise. What's different about yours in particular?

Not true, I have after market unit. It affects nothing. I think that only applies to the models with the 7 inch screen. Our LX models have settings through the dash.
Ooooh that's great to hear. What do you have on there?

Axatax

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
In Malkuth, surrounded by evil, low on gas.
Vehicle(s)
2K Civic DX Coupe B18C5 (swap), 2017 Civic LX Coupe 6MT
Country flag
I'm willing to do it at a reputable place tbh. If it costs like 700-800 bucks to do it right, its way worth it for me since this is gonna be my car for the next 15+ years. I still haven't been able to drive the car much because of the quarantine, but I'll update the post if it happens again.
If I were to replace the LX radio (and I may do so, eventually...), I would look into one of the higher-end plug-and-play Android units (there's threads here WRT to this), rather than a unit from someone like Pioneer or Alpine, etc. They seem to be better integrated into the car and you have a lot more freedom in terms of applications.

RandyCasto25

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback LX
Country flag
I have the same issue going on with my vehicle right now been going on for months with no resolution. Did this fix your problem? Has there been any update with this?

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
Last Friday, Honda released TSB 20-089 for Bluetooth HandsFreeLink system freezes, but it's only for the 2018 LX.
Sponsored

Attachments