2020 Acura TLX First Drives Are out

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Too bad about this:

"Despite its size, the TLX's rear-seat accommodations are on the small side for a luxury compact sedan. But Acura has a reasonable explanation: Consumers' widespread migration to crossovers gave the development team the courage to sacrifice interior space on the altar of beauty, as everyone who's shopping for maximum practicality has already moved on to an SUV."

I don't need maximum practicality, but I would like something that can at least come closer to the Civic for interior and trunk space, especially when it weighs almost 4000 pounds.

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Too bad about this:

"Despite its size, the TLX's rear-seat accommodations are on the small side for a luxury compact sedan. But Acura has a reasonable explanation: Consumers' widespread migration to crossovers gave the development team the courage to sacrifice interior space on the altar of beauty, as everyone who's shopping for maximum practicality has already moved on to an SUV."

I don't need maximum practicality, but I would like something that can at least come closer to the Civic for interior and trunk space, especially when it weighs almost 4000 pounds.
Wait so if the TLX is a compact sedan is the ILX supposed to be a sub-compact? :confused1:

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wait so if the TLX is a compact sedan is the ILX supposed to be a sub-compact? :confused1:
Yeah... I don’t get it either. I thought the ILX rode on essentially a 9th gen platform which would be just on the compact side of midsize. I don’t know what the TLX is... but the Civic is just in the midsize side on a sedan... so I’d assume it was a smaller midsize and not like the TL, which was an fancied Accord... with the current Accord blowing out of mid-size and firmly in the full-size realm with its present volume. I thought about looking at a SH-AWD J35 TLX... but after looking at some reviews it looked too Odyssey-like... not enough differentiation. I think the NA J is sort of long in the tooth and think for as smooth as it is, it’s not a very sporty engine.

Saying automakers are basically giving up on the backseat on a midsized sedan because people will have an SUV for ‘maximum practicality”. I still fill all 5 seats in the Civic. It has plenty of room...was cheap to buy... cheap to operate. Has a good sized trunk. I would not tow with it. I would not go off roading in it. Then again probably 95% of the SUVs on the road won’t either. So... yeah... if they put cramped seats with poor legroom and rear glass that you’d hit your head on at an average height... that sucks. Having owned an SUV before, albeit a smaller one, it was in no way more practical than this Civic. :dunno:

jakdotdot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SI
Country flag
Where are the positive reviews? I'm just seeing some meh/moderately positive reviews that have been fluffed up to appease advertisers (this is pretty much a given for most new car reviews).

I'm curious how the Type S will turn out, but I don't see it being better than its German competition.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Motortrend and C&D just revised with performance numbers. They're not great... The TLX is 700 pounds heavier than an accord, and it's performance, even with the higher output 2.0T, suffers from that bloat. MT clocked it at 7.1 to 60... C&D got 6 second... the Accord sport 2.0T does that with less power in less than 6 for thousands less. The handling, while good, they said needed better tires (sounds like Acura put the cheapest all seasons they could on them, and no option for summer tires). I get the whole, value proposition compared to other luxury makers... but if it can't even keep pace with an accord sport, I'm not sure I see the point.

Granted, the Type S will be even better. But these initial reviews don't give me much hope it'll hold a candle to it primary competition, except for price.

ALSO, a side note about the whole compact/midsize situation... cars are categorized by interior space... not exterior dimensions. The TLX despite being longer and wider than an accord, has less interior space than a civic sedan. Hence the compact classification. You see the same situation with cars like mustang and camaro being rated as sub compacts despite their exterior mass.
Sponsored