2020 Abbreviated year- Stopped Production-

HondaFan2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 PMM CTR (ex BMW 420d GC)
Country flag
Here we go again - OMG rare, super limited dude. People get too carried away by exclusivity ambitions. Dynamic abilities/driving enjoyment are the strong points of this car. Be happy with what you have face-lift or not.
Even if limited, it's value will collapse due to countless modifications/racing.
Sponsored

Satta

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic FK8 TypeR. Civic 9th Gen 1.6 Diesel( euro).
Country flag
The factory reopened and was pretty much immediately hit by the cyber attack.

Dealers in the UK were unable to order cars online or check delivery dates whe I last visited 2 weeks after the attack.

I still don't think their computers are working properly, I got a 5 year service package from Honda on my car and am unable to check it online.

MrTuckers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Type R, 08 CRV, 06 Oddy, 14 Accord 9th Gen V6
Country flag
So I wonder what's the real intention of this article? Is it to:

A) Drive up the sales market so that everyone would mad-rush to every Honda dealership across the US and buy-up all remaining 2020 Type R's in stock much like what the pandemic did to mindsets of people hoarding all the Toilet-paper all over the country?

or

B) Give the idiotic Honda dealerships some justification to stand-pat with their ridiculous mark-ups over MSRP?

Either way, anyone that foolish enough to hoard all the TP because it was somehow "needed" as a survival item in a pandemic is no different than someone foolishly paying waaay too much over MSRP (anything over the 3K threshold at least). 3K is probably the most where I draw the line if I really, really wanted one really badly but anything over is just not justifiable.

I'd rather direct those funds towards aftermarket upgrades than handing it over to the dealership for free or better yet, if I pay the markup, I would want the dealership give me 3K worth of TP or maybe as much TP they can load in the back of my TYPE R as I drive away with that added piece of mind.

Last edited:

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
Paying anything over sticker is criminal....much less 3K there should be no limit Sticker or walk

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag

MrTuckers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
@ez12a but they'll be producing the 2021 LE in Swindon, right? Whether they also produce standard 2021s seems to be the big question.
If they update the infotainment system on the 2021 then I'm all in. Is the 2021 going to be a new design overall fashioned after that prototype car seen in the wild about a month or so ago?

Sharp’s RRR

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 NFR S2000
Country flag
My BB is supposed to be here mid October.
I got it at an Illinois dealer for MSRP No Extras!
I’m hoping it makes it.

MrTuckers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I’m hoping it makes it.
Wow that's quite a wait. If you've placed an order after trying to look around the market for one, then I'm pretty sure everyone else may be waiting that long as well. The pandemic has practically cleared out all the highway traffic around my area and it's a nice time to go for a drive unimpeded without many cock-blockers on the road. Usually a nice quiet drive like this on the highways are mostly reserved for the weekends, but practically any day in the week now, traffic flow freely and is a good time to take a Type R out on the roads for a nice stroll and/or to practice slowly and relaxingly breaking in the first 1000 miles.

s2kdriver80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I’m hoping it makes it.
Just curious, given that the car delivery date is that far off, did you negotiate and handle all of the financing now? Or is that done right when you will pick it up?

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was talking to my dealer about possibly upgrading, and they said they had no problems with being able to order one if I wanted. Unfortunately, as much as I considered it, I also considered the fact that the price difference in MSRP+destination before taxes between my 18 and the 20 is significant enough to make it so without a ridiculous trade in value, I couldn't make it work without another large down payment.

Needless to say I'm keeping my 2018, but if there is a shortage that sure is interesting...
Keeping my '18 CTR also. I think our model year is a hair lighter than the newer ones - those extra safety features add weight. Not much, but still.
Also, kind of interesting that a recent lap comparison between the time set with a 2018 versus a 2020 to show the effects of the brake and steering changes in the '20 wound up with the 2020 being not faster, but slower around the same course - with the same driver. Lots of factors effect lap times, but still, made me appreciate the '18.
The 2020 should have been a couple of seconds faster with better brakes and steering - but it was over a second slower. On not that long a course, where a second is a lot.

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Integra Type R, 2000 Civic SiR 2012 civic 1966 Mustang
Country flag
Just curious, given that the car delivery date is that far off, did you negotiate and handle all of the financing now? Or is that done right when you will pick it up?
you leave a deposit now and you finance when the car arrives because 1 i bet the MSRP will increase for all cars produced after july 1st (it happens every year) and 2 because financing incentives will change from now till when the car gets delivered .. my BB is set to be built 1 week from today and i will have it by early september

s2kdriver80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
you leave a deposit now and you finance when the car arrives because 1 i bet the MSRP will increase for all cars produced after july 1st (it happens every year) and 2 because financing incentives will change from now till when the car gets delivered .. my BB is set to be built 1 week from today and i will have it by early september
Thanks for the reply. Darn, that sucks. My salesman seemed to be in a generous mood right now, so was hoping could lock in a deal now and just take delivery whenever it arrives. But if what you described is how it normally works, his mood could change lol.

So 2 months turnaround time seems to the norm? And lastly, how did you find out the timetables for your specific car? Does the dealer order/request the car from Swindon, then they are able to track the production? Or are they just aware of the timetable of cars that were already allocated to them for the year?

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Integra Type R, 2000 Civic SiR 2012 civic 1966 Mustang
Country flag
Thanks for the reply. Darn, that sucks. My salesman seemed to be in a generous mood right now, so was hoping could lock in a deal now and just take delivery whenever it arrives. But if what you described is how it normally works, his mood could change lol.

So 2 months turnaround time seems to the norm? And lastly, how did you find out the timetables for your specific car? Does the dealer order/request the car from Swindon, then they are able to track the production? Or are they just aware of the timetable of cars that were already allocated to them for the year?
my car was already slated for that dealer to be built on 7/13 and they said if i wanted to put my name on it just leave a $500 refundable deposit .. i had another dealer contact me today that they may have a boost blue coming in soon so tomorrow i will find out the details and if i pass on it or the one ill let you know its a few hours from new york
Sponsored