2019 with Aftermarket Head Unit

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport
Country flag
Who here did an aftermarket head unit in their 2019? Reading that the harness adapters are not compatible with the 2019-up models. Curious if anyone has had success with an install.
Sponsored

quality_sound

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport HB
Country flag
I'm farting around with it now. The 70-1731 pre-wiring for the SWC is GROSSLY incorrect. The wires that Axxess's own directions say to use are not even pinned. Mine has white/green and gray/red wires pinned into locations 2 and 5 instead of the pink and blue/pink in locations 1 and 7. On top of that, where they plug into the vehicle harness is also incorrect so it wouldn't work even if the SWC module was pinned correctly. The more I look at it, the more it looks like the '19 Sports are wired like the cars with the higher end HUs. I'll report back after I get off the phone with Metra/Axxess and possibly order the 70-1731-NAV

quality_sound

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport HB
Country flag
ANSWERS ABOUND!!!

Ok, first, for 2019, Honda changed the steering wheel controls to CAN-BUS instead of resistive, like in the older cars.That's why the SWCs don't work with the 70-1731. The 70-1731 is pinned for resistive SWC. The XSVI-1730-NAV is the harness you want. If you have pin removal tools, you can simply repin the ASWC-1 and 70-1731 pins, or hardwire using the harness that comes with the ASWC-1 instead of the integrated harness from the 70-1731. I am not going this route as it's a bit messy and that bothers my OCD, but it is less expensive.

Also, the Scosche LHA20 looks like it will also work as it has a CAN-BUS decoder for the SWC, Illumination, Reverse, Speed Pulse, and Parking Brake. The downside to this one is it doesn't have the rearview camera harness that the Metra harness does. Honestly, I'm half tempted to order an XSVI-1731-NAV and the LHA20 and see which one works better in a '19. If the LDA20 really does properly decode the CAN signal, that will save a lot of time and energy running wires to the driver's side of the dash for illumination and reverse.

Last, apparently there is a way to set the backup camera to the wide-angle by grounding one wire in the driver's kick panel and cutting two others. The guy at Metra I spoke to said he'd send that info when he got home. Fingers crossed he actually does. Otherwise the resistance divider someone drew a diagram for would be the best option.

Last edited:

quality_sound

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport HB
Country flag
Ok, first, for 2019, Honda changed the steering wheel controls to CAN-BUS instead of resistive, like in the older cars. That's why the SWCs don't work with the 70-1731. The 70-1731 is pinned for resistive SWC. The XSVI-1730-NAV is the harness you want. If you have pin removal tools, you can simply repin the ASWC-1 and 70-1731 pins, or hardwire using the harness that comes with the ASWC-1 instead of the integrated harness from the 70-1731. I am not going this route as it's a bit messy and that bothers my OCD, but it is less expensive.

Also, the Scosche LHA20 looks like it will also work as it has a CAN-BUS decoder for the SWC, Illumination, Reverse, Speed Pulse, and Parking Brake. The downside to this one is it doesn't have the rearview camera harness that the Metra harness does. Honestly, I'm half tempted to order an XSVI-1731-NAV and the LHA20 and see which one works better in a '19. If the LHA20 really does properly decode the CAN signal, that will save a lot of time and energy running wires to the driver's side of the dash for illumination and reverse.

Last, apparently there is a way to set the backup camera to the wide-angle by grounding one wire in the driver's kick panel and cutting two others. The guy at Metra I spoke to said he'd send that info when he got home. Fingers crossed he actually does. Otherwise the resistance divider someone drew a diagram for would be the best option.

Has anyone with a '19 actually gotten the rearview camera working? I wired mine up to the camera outputs from my Kenwood and it was only about 7V so the stepdown was sending about 3.5V to the camera. I wired the camera directly to the Kenwood and still nothing. I'm wondering if the camera is also controlled by the CANBUS on the '19s as well. I really DON'T want to spend $120 on the Scosche harness, but I may just to get this all sorted out. The Kenwood sounded MILES better than the OEM and BT was a huge improvement as well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mcmmotorsports
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport
Country flag
Here is the question of the day. So if the NAV harness is the one you want, can you just plug a factory NAV headunit into a 2019 Sport (one with the 5” non-nav radio) and have it work correctly?

quality_sound

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport HB
Country flag
Here is the question of the day. So if the NAV harness is the one you want, can you just plug a factory NAV headunit into a 2019 Sport (one with the 5” non-nav radio) and have it work correctly?
If all the nav information is passed on the CANBUS, and it should be, then you should only need a gps antenna to make it work. If I had one to test or if someone with a nav car could get pics of their harness I could tell you in about 5 seconds

OP
OP
mcmmotorsports
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport
Country flag
If all the nav information is passed on the CANBUS, and it should be, then you should only need a gps antenna to make it work. If I had one to test or if someone with a nav car could get pics of their harness I could tell you in about 5 seconds
Not interested in NAV per say, more in Apple CarPlay working as well as steering wheel controls and backup camera

quality_sound

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport HB
Country flag
CarPlay is super easy in an aftermarket unit. Steering wheel controls are too. The camera can be finiky, but I’ll let you know what I find out

Last edited:

quality_sound

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport HB
Country flag
Can you remove the two large gray harnesses so I can see the wire colors and their positions? Kind of like this:

Honda Civic 10th gen 2019 with Aftermarket Head Unit 5B92A9E4-B7F5-4C28-916A-7A1CD8F38242

quality_sound

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport HB
Country flag
Oddly, the base radio cars still have some Of the Navi wiring. Those green and gray plugs on the top left are in my car, just taped out of the way

Honda Civic 10th gen 2019 with Aftermarket Head Unit 188E656C-A7AE-4D3C-A93C-E13ACAF4133D