2019 Veloster N

nothome17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 is 350 F
Country flag
I'm personally glad Honda kept the boy racer elements and made it functional. It's a Honda Civic, the king of all boy racer cars, the history or heritage(shall I say) formed within the boy racer culture, there's no denying about it. Honda could've just denied any relations with boy racer and gave it suave and sophisticated look like most of it's rivals but they bravery didn't. They gave respect to where Civic came from, I believe that's what Honda designers did

Hopefully Acura provides the ILX Type S for us old folks.
Sponsored

_my.ko

First Name
myko
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Let me tell you a story, I am in the late, late 40's, I been waiting for the type R for 20 years, when it first release integra type R in the 90 I just brought 94 civic si, and I love that car till now, and I still driving it on a nice day, the handling is no where near the type R, but it still keep going. Now day I just drive the R every where, during Christmas time I went to the mall and parked in the parking lot when I return to the car there is a gentleman in the late 30's, he was taking photos of my car so I asked him, I thought the hype is already die down and he told me this is the first time he see the R, in the few stall over there is a Lamborghini parked there, I told that is a nice car and he reply to me, "you see them all over the place now, people drive them to shopping malls and groceries store, nothing is special about it anymore", it's true where I live, I have to agree with him, I actually seen them going through a deep fried chicken drive through, which makes me think the type R are more rare then some expensive car in my area, and the type R are limited production, so I just don't see how Veloster N is a threat to the type R, in my opinion Veloster N want to complete with the type R it need to build up the reputation first, just like civic, back in the days civic is well known tin can car when honda first arrived in North America, it takes them 25 years to build up for the best selling car. So that is my story.
i understand what you're saying and i completely agree

this is definitely a lot the Veloster N has to go against

your grammar does not have to be perfect. only an asshole grammar nazi would ignore this.

what you said is exactly something i would've. it was well worded. thank you.

A2typeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si sedan (TSP stage 1) 2016 Mazda Miata Club (Brembo BBS pack)
Country flag
For a GTI owner...you should really know your hot hatch market more.

'Better' is subjective...but besides the Focus RS what other cars in the segment in North America have been demonstrated to be faster than the Type R? (See 17:18 below)

A Golf R? Only in a straight line and with a DSG. Manual vs Manual. Nah. Also brakes give up quicker and laptimes don't favor it. Most seem to also note that it feels like taking Nyquil when driven at the limit VS the other 3 in it's class.

STI? Would be an honorable mention since its not a hatch. Around a circuit, nah slower. From a dig its a bit quicker. From a roll nope, lag doesn't help.

What else is there? We're down to the slightly less hot hatches. This and it's i30N cousin are not quite there. They rival the GTI. There's a couple reviews out with the i30 already. It's slower than the Type R

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-reviews/102646/hyundai-i30-n-vs-honda-civic-type-r

GTI? Slower than the Golf R.

ST? Slower than all of those above.

Maybe an RS3? But that's almost twice the price with some of the markups I've seen...also not really in the same segment/audience.

You were saying..?
So you found a review with a track where a Type R is faster than a Golf R.

Ok better doesnā€™t always necessarily have to be faster but all those cars I listed are faster from a dig.

I had an APR stage 1 tuned Golf R with DSG/DCC that car was quick.

The I30 is bigger and has 5 doors I believe the Veloster N will be lighter since itā€™s smaller but I could be mistaken.

I have owned all those other cars except for the Type R and on some different tracks stock for stock they will all be different.

All I was saying that if this thing performs near the type R level and undercuts the price it will be a great alternative.

Iā€™m my opinion stock for stock a Golf R is nicer and better suited for daily driving. I canā€™t say Iā€™m positive because I havenā€™t driven a Type R.

Maybe someone who has driven both can weigh in.

If they wanted a Type R to be faster imstead of loom faster they wouldnā€™t have thrown 20 inch wheels on it.

But go ahead keep drinking your Kool Aid.

I like the type R I almost bought one. Had it preordered for almost a year. Choose not to wait.

I still like the car other than the exhaust sound, which could be changed.

However, I actually like the look of the N and interior and features more than the CTR. As long as I can get a different color than that crappy puke blue I will probably buy one. You might be faster than me, but you can only drive up to about 80 mph in my state. Also I wonā€™t be keeping it stock for long.

Cheers

A2typeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Let me tell you a story, I am in the late, late 40's, I been waiting for the type R for 20 years, when it first release integra type R in the 90 I just brought 94 civic si, and I love that car till now, and I still driving it on a nice day, the handling is no where near the type R, but it still keep going. Now day I just drive the R every where, during Christmas time I went to the mall and parked in the parking lot when I return to the car there is a gentleman in the late 30's, he was taking photos of my car so I asked him, I thought the hype is already die down and he told me this is the first time he see the R, in the few stall over there is a Lamborghini parked there, I told that is a nice car and he reply to me, "you see them all over the place now, people drive them to shopping malls and groceries store, nothing is special about it anymore", it's true where I live, I have to agree with him, I actually seen them going through a deep fried chicken drive through, which makes me think the type R are more rare then some expensive car in my area, and the type R are limited production, so I just don't see how Veloster N is a threat to the type R, in my opinion Veloster N want to complete with the type R it need to build up the reputation first, just like civic, back in the days civic is well known tin can car when honda first arrived in North America, it takes them 25 years to build up for the best selling car. So that is my story.
Sure you are right itā€™s better than a Lamborghini Brah...

taiso0019

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR | 2022 Veloster N | 2015 TuRD PRO
Country flag
So you found a review with a track where a Type R is faster than a Golf R.

Ok better doesnā€™t always necessarily have to be faster but all those cars I listed are faster from a dig.

I had an APR stage 1 tuned Golf R with DSG/DCC that car was quick.

The I30 is bigger and has 5 doors I believe the Veloster N will be lighter since itā€™s smaller but I could be mistaken.

I have owned all those other cars except for the Type R and on some different tracks stock for stock they will all be different.

All I was saying that if this thing performs near the type R level and undercuts the price it will be a great alternative.

Iā€™m my opinion stock for stock a Golf R is nicer and better suited for daily driving. I canā€™t say Iā€™m positive because I havenā€™t driven a Type R.

Maybe someone who has driven both can weigh in.

If they wanted a Type R to be faster imstead of loom faster they wouldnā€™t have thrown 20 inch wheels on it.

But go ahead keep drinking your Kool Aid.

I like the type R I almost bought one. Had it preordered for almost a year. Choose not to wait.

I still like the car other than the exhaust sound, which could be changed.

However, I actually like the look of the N and interior and features more than the CTR. As long as I can get a different color than that crappy puke blue I will probably buy one. You might be faster than me, but you can only drive up to about 80 mph in my state. Also I wonā€™t be keeping it stock for long.

Cheers
You said it was slower and I demonstrated otherwise. Unless youā€™re obsessed with 0-60. Which is just about useless on a track. Iā€™d hate to break it to you but that isnā€™t the only review where the Golf R is slower. Iā€™m just not doing the searching and reading for you. Also keep the Stage nonsense out of the conversation...Iā€™ve had a tuned VW before. Weā€™re talking stock for stock.

I happen to like every single car I listed with the exception of how the Veloster looks. Thereā€™s no Kool aid to be consumed I never stated the Type R was 'better' that any of the competition, just faster than most. What's better to one person might not apply to another...again you spoke an inaccuracy I presented facts. The weight difference between the two Hyundais will likely be negligible. Same powertrain. Same limitations. But remember youā€™re the one claiming the Veloster to be a Type R killer. Thereā€™s already feedback out there to show otherwise based on the shared components.

Anyway, this isnā€™t grade school man. If you get a Veloster awesome, enjoy it. Donā€™t forget to share pics and video for us to discuss. But Iā€™m not sure what the ā€˜not keeping it stock for longā€™ statement is supposed to mean. A type R gets a tune and better tires and the gap will be even wider. Also some of us plan to track our cars. At least one of my home tracks goes above 80 for a sustained amount of time...

Last edited:

doCTR

First Name
doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR CW / RS400 / Golf R/ Forester XT
Country flag
All cars are awesome, so much engineering and planning and lvl of human advancement clearly visible in the lowest strata car to top grade super cars. Pros and cons everywhere. Itā€™s just what you like what you really really love , what u can afford and what you can live with at the end of the day.

But in a ā€˜one car specific ā€˜ forum full of enthusiasts who love and adore ā€˜one specific carā€™ who are fanatic to the point of paying ridiculous adm, itā€™s because they freaking like it no matter what. Itā€™s good that there is several other options out there these days. But we fking love this car man and bought it or dream to buy it soon.

And in every forum I have been, there is always this one guy that shows up ā€œvisitingā€ bashing up the car citing several reason stupid online quotes and comparisons and meaningless banter. And again at the end of the day u dissect the whole paragraphs these trolls type into two lines itā€™s reads like this ā€œ DONT OWN THIS CAR, NEVER DRIVEN THIS CAR but this car sucks.

FOMO and FOBO are real struggles. The first group extreme troll profile most times fits to people with extreme buyers remorse who feel missed out. Second group are unfortunate people who canā€™t afford this at this time, hopefully someday soon they will realize the dream and that keeps them going. But for those guilt ridden people who feel like they threw their money away on car they donā€™t like, itā€™s hard to come out of. And lastly people who canā€™t decide, they fear a better car , a dream car, a super car with economy pricing is coming out next year. So they keep holding off, year after year after year.

Anyways to cut the chase down. veloster N awesome car/ Type R another awesome car. Buy what you like and drive what you like. If you can afford buy it, if somebody bought some car donā€™t try to stick it to them saying they made a bad choice or they payed more Yada yada. They love it they bought it now let them enjoy it in peace until the love fades away.

Last edited:

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have nothing against Hyundai. My family have used Hyundais for quite some time now and they have all been good solid vehicles. Personally, I think the new Sonatas are extremely attractive looking, and my sister owns a new Elantra which is a great car. (I ended up choosing the other brand that starts with an ā€˜Hā€™ ;))

Since I love, how do I say it, ā€œquirkyā€ cars, the Veloster is a vehicle I wouldnā€™t mind owning. The fact that itā€™s still a 3 door hatchback is wild, and the newest redesign makes it look a lot better. The N version looks to be quite interesting indeed, and I wish Hyundai the best of luck - it looks like itā€™s aiming right for the Type R. But Honda have been masters of performance cars for a lot longer than Hyundai has, and Hyundai will need to play their cards right to make the N a hit.

I welcome Hyundaiā€™s attempt to join the performance club - the more the merrier! They have already shown that they know how to play well with the Kia Stinger GT, so I have no doubt Hyundai will do well with the Veloster N.

I would still pick the Honda though. :D

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Type R is nowhere to be found here in northern Illinois. I have yet to see one on the road. And I am a service tech that does lots of driving. I do know, that there are several in this area still sitting on showroom floors.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Type R is nowhere to be found here in northern Illinois. I have yet to see one on the road. And I am a service tech that does lots of driving. I do know, that there are several in this area still sitting on showroom floors.
Donā€™t feel bad - I havenā€™t seen one driving around in central NJ at all since itā€™s been out. During that time span, Iā€™ve seen Audi R8s, BMW i8s, Lamborghinis, a Porsche Carrera GT, WRX STis, Focus RSes, Ford Raptors... anything except the Type R.

The only time I saw one outside of a dealership was at the Philly Auto Show!

doCTR

First Name
doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR CW / RS400 / Golf R/ Forester XT
Country flag
Just to put things in a very broad perspective just for that wow factor.

roughly 6500 trucks are sold in ONE DAY
And you know how much total type r were allotted to us here.

I know apples to oranges, but itā€™s staggering to imagine just ford alone sells 100 trucks in one hour.

A2typeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
@taiso0019

I would consider 0-60 the most relevant stat for real world driving. In which case the Type R is slower than ever car I listed.

Unless you are one of those maniacs who drives triple digits on streets and push your car to the limit.

So on streets obeying traffic laws FoRS, STi, Golf R, GTI DSG, basically every rear wheel drive and AWD car on earth is quicker faster and better than a CTR.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
I would consider 0-60 the most relevant stat for real world driving. Iā€™m which case the Type R is slower than ever car I listed.
tell me when was the last time you did a 0-60 in "real world" driving. Maybe a 5-60? 10-60? but a 0-60 is pretty rare in real world driving

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
@taiso0019

I would consider 0-60 the most relevant stat for real world driving.
Huh? I'm not sure where you drive but I find midrange power for passing cars and freeway merging to be much more relevant than 0-60 times. Like the poster above said, a rolling start is also a more valid real world number.

0-60 is just about bragging rights or articles in Car and Driver.;)

heavyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F87
Country flag
@taiso0019

I would consider 0-60 the most relevant stat for real world driving. In which case the Type R is slower than ever car I listed.

Unless you are one of those maniacs who drives triple digits on streets and push your car to the limit.

So on streets obeying traffic laws FoRS, STi, Golf R, GTI DSG, basically every rear wheel drive and AWD car on earth is quicker faster and better than a CTR.
5-60 mph is the more relevant measurement for real world driving because it more relates to normal stop and go in traffic as nobody is revving their engines and dropping the clutch stop light to stop light. You look at an STI 0-60 mph time (4.7 seconds) and think itā€™s a quick car only to drive one and it feels balls slow (I owned a 2014 and on a stock tune itā€™s not fast at all) because itā€™s 5-60 mph time is a lazy 6.8 seconds as it loses 2 full seconds when driven in normal driving conditions. The Focus RS drops from 4.6 to 5.7 seconds. The Type R loses less than a second going from 5.1 to 5.8 seconds which is why a lot of testers say the Type R feels faster than itā€™s magazine numbers and it also traps between 106-108 mph which is faster than STI, Golf R, Focus RS. The Type R will pull away from its competition after launch.

Letā€™s be honest here in that if you are buying any of these cars to be fastest in a straight line you are buying the wrong car. If you want a drag car get a Mustang or Camaro as they will destroy all these compacts in a straight line. The Type R is a track car which does itā€™s best work on twisty roads.

3925blue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si sedan
Country flag
Not to mention that many car buyers, myself included, choose a platform based on how it drives and how it "feels", rather than its objective numbers on paper. That is what Honda is all about. The Civic is ergonomic; it feels good in your hands; it feels good to drive; that right there makes up for quite a bit of tested speed.
Sponsored