2019 Veloster N

A2typeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si sedan (TSP stage 1) 2016 Mazda Miata Club (Brembo BBS pack)
Country flag
anyone who is doubting people will buy this not thinking rationally.

This car can crush the CTR sales, if rolled out correctly and dealers don’t do the ADM game and it’s MSRP is 31-32K.

I see the N as direct competition to the CTR and the Veloster Turbo to compete vs be Si.

I’ve never owned a Hyundai but if I like the twat drive of the N I may in the future.

Ong yong Haseyo!
Sponsored

heavyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F87
Country flag
anyone who is doubting people will buy this not thinking rationally.

This car can crush the CTR sales, if rolled out correctly and dealers don’t do the ADM game and it’s MSRP is 31-32K.

I see the N as direct competition to the CTR and the Veloster Turbo to compete vs be Si.

I’ve never owned a Hyundai but if I like the twat drive of the N I may in the future.

Ong yong Haseyo!
Crushing CTR sales is no feat considering Honda has only set aside limited manufacturing resources to build them. It’s pretty clear Honda could double or triple CTR manufacturing and sell every single one.

Hyundai is a non-starter to me. They could make the best performing car in the segment and I still wouldn’t buy it. Resale is terrible and despite what consumer reports would have you believe their reliability is suspect.

Blackbird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 CBP #2639
Pedigree, reliability, re-sale value.
When compared to the CTR, Hyundai _______ has none of these.

nothome17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 is 350 F
Country flag
I'm pulling for the N to be successful so that way Honda doesn't think too much of themselves. And hopefully this will add some extra features if there is a mid-cycle refresh.

MonkeyConQueso

First Name
Armand
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Country flag
I'm pulling for the N to be successful so that way Honda doesn't think too much of themselves. And hopefully this will add some extra features if there is a mid-cycle refresh.
Honestly, having more hot hatches that pull good sales numbers would be fantastic for competition and inspiration to make a great thing better.

nothome17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 is 350 F
Country flag
Honestly, having more hot hatches that pull good sales numbers would be fantastic for competition and inspiration to make a great thing better.
True.. because RS's are going to be discontinued. More the better for consumers.

Also should help with the CTR prices.

A2typeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Crushing CTR sales is no feat considering Honda has only set aside limited manufacturing resources to build them. It’s pretty clear Honda could double or triple CTR manufacturing and sell every single one.

Hyundai is a non-starter to me. They could make the best performing car in the segment and I still wouldn’t buy it. Resale is terrible and despite what consumer reports would have you believe their reliability is suspect.
This car is NOT limited if Honda thought they could sell 1 million CTRs they would build that many.

The hot hatch market is over saturated with a great deal of competition.

As for the reliability I haven’t owned a Hyundai in the past but from what others have previously stated they love their cars and the quality and durability.

Saying you wouldn’t buy a superior performing car because of resale value is your choice.

To me it sounds like you are just trying to justify your ADM, all the other cars the CTR competes with are better and faster. However Honda has undercut the price of these and left out AWD to appeal to a broader market.

If the N undercuts the CTRs power to weight ratio and price, I believe we have a CTR killer.

I’m not sure if it will break down more because it’s the first generation but time will tell.

O Haiii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
acura
Country flag
Hyundais and Kias are made in the US of A just like Toyotas and Hondas. They're very comparable. Both economy mass produced cars for the middle class America. You guys make this comparison seem like we're comparing 6 figure hyper cars....

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Having owned both a Hyundai in 2007 and several Honda's in the intervening years... they are definately comparable. However, the Hyundai, IMO, has only reached this status in roughly the last 10 years or so. It is a common theme that Hyundai and Kia were far inferior to their competition... and their main selling point was value, both in purchase price and in a long powertrain warranty from the factory.

Kia and Hyundai continue to offer a more value based package compared to the competition. Choosing a higher priced product over a cheaper one could be seen as price-elitism... so I'll admit, there may be some snobbery, and I may be guilty of it. The one Hyundai I bought I gave a fair shake. I've driven/ridden in others and tried to be open minded and evaluate it on it's merits. I most recently went to a dealership and cross shopped in 2012... but left utterly underwhelmed.

If you compare a Civic to a Elantra or a Sonata to a Accord... it seems the Honda product tend to win out in reviews. These are comparisons of new cars however. I still say that Hyundais fit/finish/ride do not hold up as good as a Honda based on my experience of owning and having family members of owning Hyundais. They are a good initial value... but that does make them a better car.

nothome17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 is 350 F
Country flag
Was just watching the reviews on the i30 N. Liking what options it comes with, especially the customizable drive modes.

Hopefully Honda will implement those in the mid cycle refresh. And if Acura will add those features as well.

Last edited:

heavyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F87
Country flag
This car is NOT limited if Honda thought they could sell 1 million CTRs they would build that many.

The hot hatch market is over saturated with a great deal of competition.

As for the reliability I haven’t owned a Hyundai in the past but from what others have previously stated they love their cars and the quality and durability.

Saying you wouldn’t buy a superior performing car because of resale value is your choice.

To me it sounds like you are just trying to justify your ADM, all the other cars the CTR competes with are better and faster. However Honda has undercut the price of these and left out AWD to appeal to a broader market.

If the N undercuts the CTRs power to weight ratio and price, I believe we have a CTR killer.

I’m not sure if it will break down more because it’s the first generation but time will tell.
First of all I'm in Canada and we don't have ADM and 2nd of all I don't have one yet so not sure why you would think I'm justifying ADM as there's no way I would pay more than MSRP for a Type R. We all know the CTR isn't limited but Honda is clearly not building as many as they could sell. Debating that is senseless. You think it would be a CTR killer and that's fine but I've yet to see a Hyundai kill anything. All their performance cars fall a little short whether it be the Genesis Coupe or Veloster.

A2typeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
First of all I'm in Canada and we don't have ADM and 2nd of all I don't have one yet so not sure why you would think I'm justifying ADM as there's no way I would pay more than MSRP for a Type R. We all know the CTR isn't limited but Honda is clearly not building as many as they could sell. Debating that is senseless. You think it would be a CTR killer and that's fine but I've yet to see a Hyundai kill anything. All their performance cars fall a little short whether it be the Genesis Coupe or Veloster.
Sorry about your Gold medal game in Hockey and he fact you have to live there eh! maybe you guys can win curling...

So your defending a car you don’t own or have Got it.

You should look at AWD alternatives maybe a Golf R or STi or FoRS

Ah I see you have a type R why downgrade?

taiso0019

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR | 2022 Veloster N | 2015 TuRD PRO
Country flag

For a GTI owner...you should really know your hot hatch market more.

'Better' is subjective...but besides the Focus RS what other cars in the segment in North America have been demonstrated to be faster than the Type R? (See 17:18 below)

A Golf R? Only in a straight line and with a DSG. Manual vs Manual. Nah. Also brakes give up quicker and laptimes don't favor it. Most seem to also note that it feels like taking Nyquil when driven at the limit VS the other 3 in it's class.

STI? Would be an honorable mention since its not a hatch. Around a circuit, nah slower. From a dig its a bit quicker. From a roll nope, lag doesn't help.

What else is there? We're down to the slightly less hot hatches. This and it's i30N cousin are not quite there. They rival the GTI. There's a couple reviews out with the i30 already. It's slower than the Type R

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-reviews/102646/hyundai-i30-n-vs-honda-civic-type-r

GTI? Slower than the Golf R.

ST? Slower than all of those above.

Maybe an RS3? But that's almost twice the price with some of the markups I've seen...also not really in the same segment/audience.

You were saying..?

Vteclover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94 civic si
Country flag
Let me tell you a story, I am in the late, late 40's, I been waiting for the type R for 20 years, when it first release integra type R in the 90 I just brought 94 civic si, and I love that car till now, and I still driving it on a nice day, the handling is no where near the type R, but it still keep going. Now day I just drive the R every where, during Christmas time I went to the mall and parked in the parking lot when I return to the car there is a gentleman in the late 30's, he was taking photos of my car so I asked him, I thought the hype is already die down and he told me this is the first time he see the R, in the few stall over there is a Lamborghini parked there, I told that is a nice car and he reply to me, "you see them all over the place now, people drive them to shopping malls and groceries store, nothing is special about it anymore", it's true where I live, I have to agree with him, I actually seen them going through a deep fried chicken drive through, which makes me think the type R are more rare then some expensive car in my area, and the type R are limited production, so I just don't see how Veloster N is a threat to the type R, in my opinion Veloster N want to complete with the type R it need to build up the reputation first, just like civic, back in the days civic is well known tin can car when honda first arrived in North America, it takes them 25 years to build up for the best selling car. So that is my story.
Sponsored