2019 Type R - CW - Pittsburgh, PA - build thread

Zpeedster M

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Country flag
Did you notice any difference in braking / pedal feel after new pads installed?

Yesterday tires arrived from Discount Tire and this morning the wheels came from Vivid Racing and I was able to drop them off to get mounted and Roadforced balanced. While I waited for the phone call to pick them up, I swapped in the ceramic pads. Super easy install on front. Rear, same. Needle nose pliers are all you need to clockwise-turn the rear pistons in... no electronic or specialty tools needed. Same as any Honda product I've service in last 2 decades.

Installed:
-Enkei TS-V 18x9.5 +40 Storm Grey wheels
-Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ 255/40/18 tires
-Akebono ASP1001 front ceramic pads
-Akebono ACT1878 rear ceramic pads

6hqGHY2.jpg

KgnDJq0.jpg

Also forgot, last week I installed the ZL1 Addons Standard Rock Guards - front only

I buy 95% of our tires through Discount Tire Direct. Tire Rack the remainder. This time I attempted to source a full wheel/tire package through TireRack. Talked to a salesman and ordered everything, 2.14.20, said 1 week wait due to wheels needing to be acquired from Enkei. 1 week goes by, I check the status online... 3.14.20 is the estimate. I called and discussed options, but just ended up getting lugs and hub centric rings through them. Great guys to deal with at Tire Rack and they can only communicate the information in front of them, so no fault to them. However, by talking with some others more familiar with TireRack structure, they way they procure orders is only in bulk. So they weren't only going to get (4) wheels from Enkei for me, a full shipment was required.

Vivid was a great new experience. Definitely recommend them.

Better yet, even paying $120 for my own mounting/balancing/valve stems (preferred anyways). Everything came out to be ~$20 cheaper than TireRack's package. Discount Tire had an $80 instant rebate and Vivid beat TireRack's wheel pricing. The lugs and centric rings were only $33 from TireRack

OP
OP
J o n

J o n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Z/28, '22 Ridgeline , '22 CR-V Hybrid
Country flag
Did you notice any difference in braking / pedal feel after new pads installed?
Yes, less initial bite. Smooth and linear otherwise. Quiet. No dust.

BryanCO

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP CTR, 2007 GT3, 1993 Miata
Country flag
Same here on my black CTR looks killer
My PPF shop used Xpel Prime XR Plus (free upgrade from the XR). Not sure I would be able to tell the difference but seems to work well.

Jon - what did you end up doing with the wing mounting holes?

hpbyhermann

First Name
Hermann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Championship white Type R #25133, 09' Civic SI sedan, black 2013 Boss 302 Laguna Seca, 1993 Mustang Cobra, 2004 Mustang Cobra
Country flag
Yesterday tires arrived from Discount Tire and this morning the wheels came from Vivid Racing and I was able to drop them off to get mounted and Roadforced balanced. While I waited for the phone call to pick them up, I swapped in the ceramic pads. Super easy install on front. Rear, same. Needle nose pliers are all you need to clockwise-turn the rear pistons in... no electronic or specialty tools needed. Same as any Honda product I've service in last 2 decades.

Installed:
-Enkei TS-V 18x9.5 +40 Storm Grey wheels
-Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ 255/40/18 tires
-Akebono ASP1001 front ceramic pads
-Akebono ACT1878 rear ceramic pads

6hqGHY2.jpg

KgnDJq0.jpg

Also forgot, last week I installed the ZL1 Addons Standard Rock Guards - front only

I buy 95% of our tires through Discount Tire Direct. Tire Rack the remainder. This time I attempted to source a full wheel/tire package through TireRack. Talked to a salesman and ordered everything, 2.14.20, said 1 week wait due to wheels needing to be acquired from Enkei. 1 week goes by, I check the status online... 3.14.20 is the estimate. I called and discussed options, but just ended up getting lugs and hub centric rings through them. Great guys to deal with at Tire Rack and they can only communicate the information in front of them, so no fault to them. However, by talking with some others more familiar with TireRack structure, they way they procure orders is only in bulk. So they weren't only going to get (4) wheels from Enkei for me, a full shipment was required.

Vivid was a great new experience. Definitely recommend them.

Better yet, even paying $120 for my own mounting/balancing/valve stems (preferred anyways). Everything came out to be ~$20 cheaper than TireRack's package. Discount Tire had an $80 instant rebate and Vivid beat TireRack's wheel pricing. The lugs and centric rings were only $33 from TireRack
Your car is coming along great Jon! I may have some ideas about what to do about the exposed holes on your hatch. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
J o n

J o n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Your car is coming along great Jon! I may have some ideas about what to do about the exposed holes on your hatch. :thumbsup:
Thank you. Appreciate the compliment. Great, looking to tackle the permanent solution once the weather breaks

OP
OP
J o n

J o n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Beautiful day here. Got some good driving in too. Would of taken the Camaro out but good bit of runoff still from rain late in the week. Exactly why I got this car to daily, able to enjoy spirited drives in all weather and conditions.

Washed the car tonight, removed the plastic centering pieces for the wing and swapped the duct tape hatch hole covers with some vinyl circles. See how they hold up. Duct tape was more discreet IMO

Honda Civic 10th gen 2019 Type R - CW - Pittsburgh, PA - build thread IMG_20200322_214828

Honda Civic 10th gen 2019 Type R - CW - Pittsburgh, PA - build thread IMG_20200322_221653

Summit White vs Championship White
Honda Civic 10th gen 2019 Type R - CW - Pittsburgh, PA - build thread IMG_20200322_214659

Last edited:
OP
OP
J o n

J o n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The daily gets to enjoy the empty garage spot while the wife's CR-V is getting it's bumper repaired in the body shop

Honda Civic 10th gen 2019 Type R - CW - Pittsburgh, PA - build thread IMG_20200324_080710

Honda Civic 10th gen 2019 Type R - CW - Pittsburgh, PA - build thread IMG_20200324_080658

OP
OP
J o n

J o n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
12 quarts of oil and 72 rolls of TP. Sounds about right for a trip to Walmart

Honda Civic 10th gen 2019 Type R - CW - Pittsburgh, PA - build thread IMG_20200325_174800

Honda Civic 10th gen 2019 Type R - CW - Pittsburgh, PA - build thread IMG_20200325_180612

hpbyhermann

First Name
Hermann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Championship white Type R #25133, 09' Civic SI sedan, black 2013 Boss 302 Laguna Seca, 1993 Mustang Cobra, 2004 Mustang Cobra
Country flag
12 quarts of oil and 72 rolls of TP. Sounds about right for a trip to Walmart

IMG_20200325_174800.jpg

IMG_20200325_180612.jpg
Hell yes!! :lol: You caught them at a restock!!

8409_CW

First Name
Kabir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR, 1992 Civic HB
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm around the monroeville / irwin area, let me know if you'll be in there area. if our schedules mesh, happy to
Cool - I used to live in Monroeville as a kid back in the 80's. Still got family in Pittsburgh. :)

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
It just looks so weird without the wing. I think if it was lowered it wouldn't drive me so crazy. Looks like a HRV or something :p

hpbyhermann

First Name
Hermann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It just looks so weird without the wing. I think if it was lowered it wouldn't drive me so crazy. Looks like a HRV or something :p
It's all good, everyone has their own opinion and Jon obviously has his!:thumbsup: He likes the understated look. That's the beauty of our hobby, you mod it to suit your own tastes. I'm a wing guy myself.:beer:

OP
OP
J o n

J o n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It's all good, everyone has their own opinion and Jon obviously has his!:thumbsup: He likes the understated look. That's the beauty of our hobby, you mod it to suit your own tastes. I'm a wing guy myself.:beer:
Yea, in that pic it does appear tall. Pretty tall car though, in general (wing/no wing, lowered/or not).

Enjoying it as a fun daily driver. Happy with it.

Speaking of understated... I was driving by another Type R owner that same day who was putting gas in his. Was looking at me and then looked away. I think he was only looking for the wing as confirmation of it being a Type R. The lack of a wing and silver/grey wheels do not give the immediate recognition of what it actually is.
Sponsored