2019 Sport Touring Infotainment help (bluetooth audio, iPod)

timmay77

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring 2016 BMW M6 Comp
Country flag
I am trying to figure this train wreck of an Infotainment system.

1st issue I am having is with the bluetooth/phone audio. I do not want bluetooth audio turned on for my phone. I want phone only, so I can only make phone calls, not listen to music. If bluetooth audio is on, all of the phone's alerts go to the car, which do not sound, because I am not using BT audio. (because the sound quality is GARBAGE on BT audio, I only use my iPod or the radio) I have been through every menu and can not figure out how to turn it off. When I disconnect, and reconnect manually, I chose the phone symbol only, it automatically connects the BT audio as well..... ?????

2nd issue I am having is with my iPod. Sometimes when I want to pick a song from the list, the list of songs is not displayed on the page where they should be. The page is there, but there are no songs. Nothing listed.

I went to the dealership for these issues (warranty) their answer was "well, just don't do that, plug in your phone and use Carplay. We have never heard of anyone using an iPod." Seriously?? I don't WANT to use Carplay. I typically don't take my phone out of my pocket. I want to make calls and use my iPod from the Infotainment system, as I should be able to. Not compromise.

All of this works normally in my wife's 2019 CRV. Yes it is a different platform and different software, I get it, but why would it not work, on the same menus, in my Civic?

Coming from the BMW world, where all of this is SIMPLE to configure and adjust in iDrive makes this SUPER frustrating. It's the little things that make my brain itch.

Any help would be awesome.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2019 Sport Touring Infotainment help (bluetooth audio, iPod) IMG_1611

Honda Civic 10th gen 2019 Sport Touring Infotainment help (bluetooth audio, iPod) IMG_1610

TyresseX

First Name
Tyresse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic hatchback sport
Country flag
I am trying to figure this train wreck of an Infotainment system.

1st issue I am having is with the bluetooth/phone audio. I do not want bluetooth audio turned on for my phone. I want phone only, so I can only make phone calls, not listen to music. If bluetooth audio is on, all of the phone's alerts go to the car, which do not sound, because I am not using BT audio. (because the sound quality is GARBAGE on BT audio, I only use my iPod or the radio) I have been through every menu and can not figure out how to turn it off. When I disconnect, and reconnect manually, I chose the phone symbol only, it automatically connects the BT audio as well..... ?????

2nd issue I am having is with my iPod. Sometimes when I want to pick a song from the list, the list of songs is not displayed on the page where they should be. The page is there, but there are no songs. Nothing listed.

I went to the dealership for these issues (warranty) their answer was "well, just don't do that, plug in your phone and use Carplay. We have never heard of anyone using an iPod." Seriously?? I don't WANT to use Carplay. I typically don't take my phone out of my pocket. I want to make calls and use my iPod from the Infotainment system, as I should be able to. Not compromise.

All of this works normally in my wife's 2019 CRV. Yes it is a different platform and different software, I get it, but why would it not work, on the same menus, in my Civic?

Coming from the BMW world, where all of this is SIMPLE to configure and adjust in iDrive makes this SUPER frustrating. It's the little things that make my brain itch.

Any help would be awesome.

IMG_1611.jpg

IMG_1610.jpg
try having 2 phones connected one for song and the other for phone calls.

OP
OP

timmay77

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
try having 2 phones connected one for song and the other for phone calls.
I shouldn't have to work around.......

I don't have 2 phones?

If the 2nd phone isn't connected, it will default to the primary phone.

Not really a solution to me, but I appreciate the input.

TyresseX

First Name
Tyresse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic hatchback sport
Country flag
I shouldn't have to work around.......

I don't have 2 phones?

If the 2nd phone isn't connected, it will default to the primary phone.

Not really a solution to me, but I appreciate the input.
i plug my phone in for carplay only and calls and let my friends go over Bluetooth and use their phones for music.

bluehatch17

First Name
bluehatch17
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring hatchback. 2019 Coupe sport.
Country flag
I regularly listen to am/fm sports radio and have Bluetooth only phone. I still get notifications on the headunit such as text or phone calls. This is honestly 100% resolved with carplay. It sounds like user error and not a car issue. Even if you don’t use carplay, it will charge the phone. What the hell is the big deal with plugging the phone in on a cable? You can 100% use radio only and keep phone connectivity. If you want to use as ipod, have the usb on the console instead of under the headunit. I never sort music on the headunit cause it’s crazily faster doing it on the phone. But I do regularly use carplay to sort/select podcasts and it works 100% fine.

OP
OP

timmay77

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I don't use Carplay unless I need directions. Then I will plug in my phone. I never take my phone out of my pocket, hence I don't plug it in. I shouldn't have to in order to accommodate a system not doing what it is advertised to do.

User error? The system is not functioning like every other Honda stereo I have ever used. I am grossly disappointed at how AWFUL this system is compared to the 2014 BMW 328 I traded in. I really am enjoying the car, I just wish I could figure this out. There has to be a setting somewhere that I am missing.

OP
OP

timmay77

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It was also upsetting going to the dealership and watching them fumble over the same menus, not knowing at all what they were doing. I am a mechanical/electrical engineer by trade. A huge gear head. So going to a dealership makes my brain itch, especially watching guys try to convince me they know what they are doing when they absolutely do not. Then they admit they don't and that "Honda hasn't given us much information on these systems yet". This system came out 2 years ago. WHAT?

Seriously?

Last edited:

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
If only they made a product where you can combine the music player of an MP3 and a cell phone into one product...

In all seriousness why not just have your music on your iPhone. Plug your phone in LITERALLY takes 2 seconds, 4 sec tops lol. Then you have music AND you get your phone notifications. I don’t see what the big deal is of having to take your phone out your pocket and plugging it in. If it’s that cumbersome of a task get a wireless CarPlay adapter. Problem solved

https://cplay2air.com/products/cpla...y-android-auto-module-and-mirror-link-feature

OP
OP

timmay77

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Because that's not what I want, why does that matter? I want to use my iPod to play my music. I don't want to take my phone out of my pocket. I didn't have to deal with this kind of crappy infotainment in my 7 year old BMW, which had the laggy iDrive, but it worked. This NEWEST generation Civic can't even do the simplest thing like play music from my PLUGGED IN iPod? My daughter's 2009 Acura TSX does it FLAWLESSY. Why are you just accepting that it's ok that it doesn't work?

These aren't solutions. The car is not working as it should. Why would I change my habits because the car isn't working right?

I can see this I am talking to a brick wall here. Sad.

I looked in to that Carplay wireless device. It gets very bad reviews. Again, not a solution.

OP
OP

timmay77

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
U have to select phone only on the phone Bluetooth itself
Could you possibly provide more information please? Because I feel like I have tried that and it automatically syncs the audio as well.

OP
OP

timmay77

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Like this
Unfortunately my iPhone does not have the same type options. I will see if my menu is different when I am in the car, but from sitting at my desk, going through my iPhone screens, I do not have that option........

RallyeDubSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Sedan
Country flag
I know the BMW and Acura are much older but your comparing luxury brand cars to what is essentially a dressed up econobox. I had 2012 TSX and It could do what your asking, but it's pretty much the luxury version of the civic. The Civic is great value but in order to get that price point concessions have to be made and a subpar head unit just wont hurt Honda's brand the same way as say subpar head gaskets.

OP
OP

timmay77

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I know the BMW and Acura are much older but your comparing luxury brand cars to what is essentially a dressed up econobox. I had 2012 TSX and It could do what your asking, but it's pretty much the luxury version of the civic. The Civic is great value but in order to get that price point concessions have to be made and a subpar head unit just wont hurt Honda's brand the same way as say subpar head gaskets.
You're missing the point. The car has the options to do what I want, it just isn't doing it. More than likely a setting in the menu, or my phone, or there is some sort of software glitch or hardware glitch. It works in other cars (my wife's 2019 CRV, the other 2020 and 2021 Civics I drove), but not mine.

I am asking if someone can help me find what is going on because the dealership is totally lost.

RallyeDubSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Sedan
Country flag
You're missing the point. The car has the options to do what I want, it just isn't doing it. More than likely a setting in the menu, or my phone, or there is some sort of software glitch or hardware glitch. It works in other cars (my wife's 2019 CRV, the other 2020 and 2021 Civics I drove), but not mine.

I am asking if someone can help me find what is going on because the dealership is totally lost.
Oh I agree with you, what I was trying to point out is the head unit is sub par. The said glitch was kindda what I was talking about. Maybe take it to a different dealer and see if they can figure it out?

OP
OP

timmay77

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Oh I agree with you, what I was trying to point out is the head unit is sub par. The said glitch was kindda what I was talking about. Maybe take it to a different dealer and see if they can figure it out?
That's my next step, unless someone here can help.....
Sponsored