2019 infotainment reviews?

JCH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
Has anyone figured out whether or not the 2019 displays work in the 2018 unit? I banged mine up pretty hard and I can hardly use it. If it does work I might as well buy the 2019 screen but if not I'll probably end up getting a mint condition 2018 off of eBay.
Sponsored

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Has anyone figured out whether or not the 2019 displays work in the 2018 unit? I banged mine up pretty hard and I can hardly use it. If it does work I might as well buy the 2019 screen but if not I'll probably end up getting a mint condition 2018 off of eBay.
Sounds like you are the Guinea Pig :)
Are replacement 2019 screens even available yet ?

One thing for sure -- the 2018 ones on Ebay will cost far less than the 2019 one through a Honda Dealer.

BTW: The 2018 one I got on Ebay a few weeks ago, are made by LG, and manufactured/assembled in Vietnam.

Last edited:

Syco54645

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Ex Hatch, Nissan Altima
Country flag
I have a 19 and the infotainment system seems to be the same as in the 18 .Just have buttons and a knob. One of the reasons I bought the extended warranty because of the damn integration with the thing. Is nice when it works but quite frustrating at times .Especially the charging error that I get every time I plug my phone in .Have to plug it in 2x.

Edit holy shit is posting on mobile terrible with this forum .sorry for the odd format but the damn editor is moving my periods and deleting half a word when I try to fix it...

Reactions: mjh

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
I have a 19 and the infotainment system seems to be the same as in the 18 .Just have buttons and a knob. One of the reasons I bought the extended warranty because of the damn integration with the thing. Is nice when it works but quite frustrating at times .Especially the charging error that I get every time I plug my phone in .Have to plug it in 2x.

Edit holy shit is posting on mobile terrible with this forum .sorry for the odd format but the damn editor is moving my periods and deleting half a word when I try to fix it...
Can you expand on the Charging error bit.
Plug it in 2 times ?? Every time ?? Exactly 2 times.
Any comments from your dealer about this ?
Have you tried a different charging cord ?
Same cord you use to charge phone in the house off a wall charger..?
I assume that the x2 does not happen with the wall charger ?

Same x2 on both car's USB ports ??

I have NEVER had any such issues for the 6 months I have had the 2018 SI.
Everything works as expected.. (so far !!)

Maybe, because it has never gone back to a Honda Dealer for any service work,, and all routine maintenance was NOT been done by a Dealer !!!

To me, taking your Car back to the Dealer, is like visiting a Hospital. Chances are good, you will leave having gained more things wrong with you, than when you came.
(Bills are about the same as well !! )

Syco54645

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Can you expand on the Charging error bit.
Plug it in 2 times ?? Every time ?? Exactly 2 times.
Any comments from your dealer about this ?
Have you tried a different charging cord ?
Same cord you use to charge phone in the house off a wall charger..?
Yeah so I'll plug it into the Android auto plug and the infotainment screen displays a charging error. I unplug and replug the phone then it works. I have tried multiple cables and get the same error. The issue is not on the phone but on the head unit. I cannot use the same cable as the wall charger as that is usbc on both ends but I use it on my computer and it works fine.

I have not bothered telling the dealer as I see this complaint elsewhere and figured it is just a normal annoyance. This happens with my hone as well as my wife's. It could perhaps be the Android rom we are running but it is resurrection remix which is pretty popular, however I don't like the rom at all... However this happened when test driving the 18 as well using Omni rom so just seems like something we have to deal with.

Superfly

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R / 2018 Civic Si Sedan / 2018 Civic Si Coupe / 2018 Acccord 2.0 Touring / 2001 S2000
Country flag
Wished the CTR came with the same infotainment system as my 2018 Accord 2.0 Touring.

Last edited:
Reactions: mjh

lyndean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX-T Sedan
Country flag
Yeah so I'll plug it into the Android auto plug and the infotainment screen displays a charging error. I unplug and replug the phone then it works. I have tried multiple cables and get the same error. The issue is not on the phone but on the head unit. I cannot use the same cable as the wall charger as that is usbc on both ends but I use it on my computer and it works fine.

I have not bothered telling the dealer as I see this complaint elsewhere and figured it is just a normal annoyance. This happens with my hone as well as my wife's. It could perhaps be the Android rom we are running but it is resurrection remix which is pretty popular, however I don't like the rom at all... However this happened when test driving the 18 as well using Omni rom so just seems like something we have to deal with.

So, have you tried charging the phone just on the stock ROM? I really don't see why people root these head units. Seems to cause more problems than it's worth.

Syco54645

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So, have you tried charging the phone just on the stock ROM? I really don't see why people root these head units. Seems to cause more problems than it's worth.
First off it isn't actually a charging issue. The car refuses to see the phone, that is just the error message. I understand that this can cause confusion.
I did not root my head unit, rooted my phone. I see little reason to root the head unit even. I have not tried on stock with either of our devices but have a few spares running stock that I will try. This seems to be a common complaint though and it is only a minor annoyance as I found a way around it. Waiting for android p to hit my device and see if it clears up. Interestingly I have found quirks with the system in the car. When I was test driving the 18 I was running an older version of Android than my wife and my phone would not connect. after buying the car (but before taking delivery) I updated my phone to 8.1 and it worked fine in the 19 but my wife's running 8.0 wouldn't be seen. Seems possible we will run up to a point where our phones will no longer work with Android auto. Assuming the issue we had flows the other way that is (Android on phone being too new to work with the Civic infotainment).

Kane666

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
my 2018 sport touring has also stopped seeing the phone. they blame it on the cable. always. smh

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
------------< snip ------>
. Seems possible we will run up to a point where our phones will no longer work with Android auto. Assuming the issue we had flows the other way that is (Android on phone being too new to work with the Civic infotainment).
There was reported issues with Android Auto in 2018 for some updated versions... maybe you have a buggy version. ?
A few months ago I found that the version on Google Play Store was giving me issues, and I found another (more recent version) on one of the other Android Apps sites.
That version worked fine.

Not looked back into it, as so far, all is working-- but at the time , I got the impression that AA was going through some buggy version updates.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
my 2018 sport touring has also stopped seeing the phone. they blame it on the cable. always. smh
If "they" refers to your Dealer, then you are probably just being fobbed off.

There are two types of cable -- Charging Cable (That does NOT include the Data lines), and the one you want :-"Normal Data Cable" = Charging + Data lines.

Yes, if you use a Charging Only cable, there will be no data communication -- cannot be.. no data lines.

Now, sometimes you want a Charging Only Cable, like if you want to connect you phone to your computer to charge the phone, but you DO NOT WANT the phone and computer to try to talk to each other.

But if the cable you were using did work at one time, it is highly unlikely that it has failed. Much more likely it's an AA version issue (or a setting in your phone)

One way to test the cable is to use it to plug your phone into a computer's USB port.
Provided the Phone's USB port is NOT set to Charging Only Mode .. ie set to File transfer or Media transfer (?) , then you should be able to establish communications with your phone from the Computer, and see the phone as a DRIVE on your computer, and see the "non-root" files... like Photos, music etc.

Maybe your Phone's USB port has reverted back to "Charging only" mode - maybe after the OS update ???

Last edited:

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
USB cables and Android auto not playing well together seems to be common on all platforms. I found a few threads on Android boards that blame cheap chords.

I've had less issue using Anker cables, but bumpy roads still foul up the connection on occasion. I'll charge, but the head unit won't communicate with my phone

The only software issue I've encountered is the navigation volume error people have had and that resolved last security update

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Seems possible we will run up to a point where our phones will no longer work with Android auto.

I'm using a Samsung s4 without a Sim card as a media player and all it needed was an update to Android auto for my head unit to talk to it. I have no idea what version of Android it's running, but I doubt it's a very recent one

Syco54645

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
There was reported issues with Android Auto in 2018 for some updated versions... maybe you have a buggy version. ?
A few months ago I found that the version on Google Play Store was giving me issues, and I found another (more recent version) on one of the other Android Apps sites.
That version worked fine.

Not looked back into it, as so far, all is working-- but at the time , I got the impression that AA was going through some buggy version updates.
I am running the newest version that has not even fully rolled out. I have gone through the versions and none worked right on first plug.

dt17

First Name
Daryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic hatchback turbo 2017
Country flag
I am more interested to know the specs of the new 2019 infotainment unit. The 2017-2018 one is a low spec android running 4.4.2 KitKat that runs way too slow and it hangs every now and then. Would like to replace it if they new version is fully compatible
Sponsored