2019 Honda Civic Sport Sedan won't start

hawaii_808

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Sedan
Country flag
Aloha all,
I was trying the remote start on my '19 Civic and somehow it cranked a tiny bit and after that it didn't fully start up. And now, when I try to start the car regularly (going inside with the key fob and pressing brake + start button) it won't start up at all. I have LED Underglow lights installed on the car which are hooked up to the battery. So, I'm assuming it's either lights that shorted out the battery, or the battery is dead. I've had some problems with the remote start before, such as it won't start but this was way before I even had the underglow lights. Is this covered under warranty if I want it fixed? I've never done anything for it to break. Will I need to possibly jump start the battery? Any help is appreciated!

Mahalo!
Sponsored

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Likely the battery. When mine went out last year, I tried to remote start and all that happened was the DRLs turned on. Cranked for a split second but nothing else. Replacing the battery solved it.

skottharrison

First Name
Skott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI Sedan, 2021 Subaru Crosstrek
Country flag
I would check the battery... I find that anything less than 11V when the car is off won't be enough...

OP
OP
hawaii_808

hawaii_808

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Likely the battery. When mine went out last year, I tried to remote start and all that happened was the DRLs turned on. Cranked for a split second but nothing else. Replacing the battery solved it.
I see, I should still have warranty to replace it. The battery is likely still good though... but I guess not.. The car will be 2 years old in March 2021.

OP
OP
hawaii_808

hawaii_808

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I would check if you have a valve cover gasket oil leak, look towards the rear of engine, you might have oil leaking inside the starter.
That might be a possibility but highly unlikely... I mean the car has had it's regular maintenance. But I'll look into it! Thanks!

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
1) Doesn't start or doesn't crank?
2) Can you turn headlights on, do interior lights go out when you try to crank?
3) Try charging the battery without removing cables - don't use a high current charger/starter pack.
4) Try to jump start it following the Honda procedure.

Depending on answers it could be anything from the lights were left on and discharged the battery, a dead or dying battery, to loose cables, starter or protective circuitry,...

OP
OP
hawaii_808

hawaii_808

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
1) Doesn't start or doesn't crank?
2) Can you turn headlights on, do interior lights go out when you try to crank?
3) Try charging the battery without removing cables - don't use a high current charger/starter pack.
4) Try to jump start it following the Honda procedure.

Depending on answers it could be anything from the lights were left on and discharged the battery, a dead or dying battery, to loose cables, starter or protective circuitry,...
The dome lights turned on but I think the battery just died for a bit

OP
OP
hawaii_808

hawaii_808

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hi all!
Thanks so much for your inputs! My uncle had a jumper cable and we were able to start the car! I’m usually not one to leave the lights on so it can’t be that. I’m not sure what caused the battery to be dead but my car starts now thanks to my uncle’s jumper box!

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi all!
Thanks so much for your inputs! My uncle had a jumper cable and we were able to start the car! I’m usually not one to leave the lights on so it can’t be that. I’m not sure what caused the battery to be dead but my car starts now thanks to my uncle’s jumper box!
Same with me - I was able to have a coworker jump it when it died. Could be a dead cell or something like that. I just replaced mine for piece of mind personally (was 4 years old too)

OP
OP
hawaii_808

hawaii_808

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Same with me - I was able to have a coworker jump it when it died. Could be a dead cell or something like that. I just replaced mine for piece of mind personally (was 4 years old too)
Did you have any issues with the battery after you replaced it?

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Did you have any issues with the battery after you replaced it?
Nope - haven't had any issues since. It was the second time I'd had it jumped within a few months, so I figured I'd just go ahead and get a new one.
Sponsored